Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you feed your cat(s) and why?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tobacat, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I used to feed mine Butchers Classic canned cat food and Hills dry, basically because it was guaranteed they would eat both and never went off them.

One of my cats now suffers from cystitis and I was advised a 100% wet diet. They now have Butchers Classic as before and Whiskers pouches because my cat will eat it with her medication in.

I'm also trialling Pets at Home Purely as the ingredients look better, one seems okay with it, the other is picking various bits out and leaving them on the floor! I've also got some Hi Life pouches in jelly and tins in pate to try, again because the ingredients seem better.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Mine have JWB bics (free fed) and 1 tin of Whiskas between 9 of them!

3. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Currently all four get a Holistic dry food (free fed) because one of my cats as an allergy.

Kira and Horris will share a small tin of friskies wet food once I put decker and soda in my room for the night.

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I used to feed my cat Hills dry as he has a chronic bowel condition but then i got educated :thumbup: and feed an exclusively raw diet.

5. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

Currently - Burns dry food fish as that's all the shop had got in the way of 'quality' dry food before I went on holiday. :D Thats freefed and down all day.

Twice a day Almo Nature sachets, she would happily eat 4 of these though, so I think once the dry has all gone I'll switch her onto a solely wet diet. :)

6. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Mine get two meals (morning and evening) of raw pet mince a day. The only time I use any commercial food, is if the fickle tykes take umbrige with a certain mince that I've put down, then I'll mix about a quarter of a pouch food in with it. I only need to do it on a rare occasion though.
    Other than that, they get the occasional chicken wing bone to chew on.

I feed mine raw, because I believe it's the best food for them (apart from whole prey)
    Also one of my cats has had a skin condition the whole of her life, but is doing superbly well since putting her on a raw diet :)

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Mine get purely dry and applaws wet. Few reasons I feed them this, I want them on a high meat content diet and the whiskas, felic type have 4% which is a joke to me.

Secondly my boy over grooms his stomach to the point he gets big open grazes on there when he'd fed none hypo-allergenic foods. So the less crap in his food the better. I'm trying to get them onto raw but so far am having no luck.

8. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

mine have james well beloved dry and a mixture of wets.
    (whiskas/felix/gourmet)

I have tried them on all the high meat content wet foods but they wouldnt eat them and I was wasting alot of food and money.
    Also tried them a couple of times on raw but got the 'are you crazy' look.

They will have the occasional hilife or feline fayre tin but will not eat them regularly though

9. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

12 of our cats eat raw mince twice a day and every other day they get chicks in stead of 1 mince meal.
    1 of our cats, Patchouli won't eat raw meat en so she gets a high meat content dried or wet food.

We've been feeding them raw ever since we did research on cat food and after 6 of my friends 7 cats (all quite young and of different litters) were diagnosed with cystitis.
    We found out about the very low meat content in lots of brands and about it containing grain. Something cats certainly can do without.
    They love their food and when I put down Patchouli's biscuits, they won't even touch them.

#9 Sorcha, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  10. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

I am currently trying to change Dorrie over to Hilife and Feline Fayre. She has JWB bics as well.

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What is a good bic to feed for cats with sensitive stomachs?:confused:
    (If Patrick gets over his troubles Id like to give him raw chicken mince to start with and biscuits as back up).

12. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I think lamb mince will be good for him.

13. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I feed mine Iams pouches as one of my cats suffers from stress uti's and the other one had tummy issues and the high protein pouches went through him like a dose of salts, but it suits them they have lovely coats and seem in fine fettle :D

14. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I feed a raw diet. I was initially reluctant but the more I read the more sense it made.

15. Tje

Tje Banned

I’m feeding mine 45% raw, 45% wet and 10% dry kibble.

the raw is a mixture of ready made minces, goat meat (which they love), chicken hearts/livers/stomachs/wings, venison, lamb

the wet is a mixture of … well everything apart from the really low content whiskas/felix type things. They particularly like Bozita, Porta and some Animonda products.

The dry food is Orijen… and they LOVE that, lol. I think they’d like more of their diet to consist of dry, but I am digging my heals in!

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Feline Fayre pouches (the blue ones) and either applaws dry or hi life dry.

Cotton likes it and they are good quality foods. The blue pouches are not complimentary though, thus why the bulk of her diet is dry.

I'd love to get her onto RAW (well all of my pets really). I'm hoping to get a chest freezer by the end of the year so I can switch them over :D

17. memmarmite

memmarmite PetForums Member

Little Man gets [email protected] Purely wet for breakfast and supper, and we put down a small bowl of their dry for him to pick at during the day and overnight. We certainly don't have any trouble getting him to eat, he loves it!

18. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

At the moment my boys get Applaws dry (pretty much free fed in a treat ball), Natures Menu wet for breakfast (one pouch each) and HiLife Petit pate for dinner (one tin each).

I've just ordered some tins of Bozita, Animonda Carny, and Smilla for the to try as well.

I feed mostly wet because of all the risks of dehydration etc on a dry based diet.
    I feed Applaws because it has the highest meat content of any dry food (I believe) and is grain free.
    Natures Menu and HiLife because they are also grain and crap free, high meat content etc. I switched from the chunky HiLife to pate as the boys seem to prefer it.

Trying the other three brands because they seem to be at least as good as what I'm feeding now - possibly better - but a fair bit cheaper.

19. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

My two are currently on a mix of feline fayre and felix wet with a tin of applaws between them. They also get RC dry down all day. They were on Felix when they came to me and I'm weaning them off it - they seem to be going off it anyway :)

Ideally I'd like to feed them raw but they don't seem particularly interested at the moment. Maybe that's a job for the long summer holidays.

I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me where to get prepared raw cat mince from - I keep looking on the Darlings website and I can only find dog mince

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You need to phone Vicky at Darlings or email her (info on their website) to order the cat minces or the intro offer. They keep saying that they are about the upload their new website with the cat details but they seem to be taking their time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice