Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do you do with your dogs when you go abroad?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AJ, Feb 10, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ Guest

Just a bit of curiosity and research as I just started a pet sitting service in January. What do you do with your pets when you go abroad?

2. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Alan, our pet sitting service was established in 1998 and you will find that a lot of people now use our services, since they do not want the trauma of placing their animals in a kennel or cattery while they are away. The added home security is also a huge bonus.

We are recruiting at the moment, for live in sitters, but finding the right caliber of people is not easy, so if anyone is interested, please pm me.

3. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

We just dont go abroad :)

4. holidayhutch

holidayhutch PetForums Newbie

We run a pet sitting/dog walking business too and cover your area Alan, we tend to find it's a pretty even split between them employing a pet sitter and putting their dogs in kennels.

5. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

Mine are in kenels they like having other dogs around as we live where there are not many for them to meet they really enjoy it

6. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

If we have to all be away at the same time we get a friend in to 'see' to ours as we have such a great number it is awkward to leave them with someone who doesn't 'know' them. So it is friends for us who are used to having such a number of dogs.

7. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

We never go abroad because of the dogs. If we are away for the day competing ot training and some dogs are left at home, we get a friend to come and let them out for a run and feed them. I would only trust very experienced dog people with my dogs, peope who are on the same wave length as me, we swap favours, no money changes hands.

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Agree with all you said

9. nici

nici PetForums Senior

no i dont either :eek:

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Would like to add that we get a lot of calls from frantic people who have been let down at the last minute by family or friends.

Once they have used our service, they remain clients, and I am sure that this is the same for all professional pet and house sitters.

11. garryd

garryd Guest

When i just had two dogs i could leave them with my mum and dad :D But now i have 4 bull terriers god knows what i am gonna do:( I used to go to my old mans villa in Cyprus for three weeks of the year ,but i haven't done that for a year or two now :( anybody got any suggestions:(:D

12. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

dont go aboard
    we do have holidays in the uk,but we have network of family to take care of the dogs at our house.
    this way the dogs dont get upset

13. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Mine go to the most fantastic kennels. Neither they nor I are traumatised by it. The owners are very experienced Rottweiler owners - they've had the breed for 20 years - so I have no worries whatsoever in leaving my boys there. Nelson has been going since he was 6 months old - he absolutely loves Sue and Geoff and they love him:)

14. garryd

garryd Guest

Yeah but if i put my 4 bull terriers in kennals for 3weeks it would cost me a grand wouldnt it:(:confused:

15. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Mine cost @ £8.00 per day each - and that is including food. Yours would be cheaper as they are smaller but even if they were the same price that would be £672. Not bad for total peace of mind if you ask me:)

16. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I think I'd change my friends, but I can see how that would be a problem for some people.

17. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi i dont go on hols unless fade is off,
    but i run a home dog boarding service.
    and yes i get the last minute calls often most left it to long to book up a place somewhere.

18. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Carol, well said. We are turning so much work away at the moment, since people either leave to until the last minute, or as I said previously, rely on a family member or friend and get let down.

I spoke to one lady yesterday who is due to leave for Canada on Friday, and her sister was lined up to have her dog. Unfortunately, she can no longer do it, and was in tears since we could not help her at such short notice.

We are recruiting at the moment , but since security checks can take up to 2 months, its a real waiting game.

19. carol

carol PetForums VIP

tell me about it
    i keep getting them the last minute ok some have been let down, but most think they can leave it
    your lady not as bad as one i had phone up on a thursday leaving the next day on the friday no way i get so booked up well in advance.
    all my regulars know to book early im already got bookings for the summer hols from them.
    and xmas is normally book up by april.
    the way its going im thinking of moving get bigger place and do kennels as well as home boarding.

20. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Lol Carol, you are a glutton for punishment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice