Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what do you do if your dog is attacked?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by laurahair, Nov 19, 2012.

1. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

I got a horrible shock while walking my dog this morning, a small barking lump of anger launched itself at her snarling and snapping away. I couldn't let go of the lead or she would have bolted, and with a busy road not too far away and the speed a greyhound can go that would have been a ridiculously dangerous thing to do. I couldn't grab the other dog or I would almost certainly have received a nasty bite. So i just held the very end of the lead and let her sort of bounce around to avoid his jaws.
    It was probably only about 15-20 secs before the owner grabbed the dog and pulled him away.
    Luckily she is pretty nimble and her dancing around meant she avoided any damage (other than a nasty shock).
    The other dog's owner apologised and said she hadn't seen us there (but we were on a very popular dog walking route), she wasn't holding the lead as she was measuring him for a new harness and he is usually not too bad with whippet type dogs apparently.:huh:
    We went off on our way, she promptly rewarded me with an extremely revolting "stress poop" (thankfully on a load of leaves so not too bad to clear), and stopped panting a few minutes later.

Just wondered how others react in this sort of situation? I was a bit shaken tbh, gobsmacked and just so glad my dog was ok that I wanted to just carry on with our walk and get back to normal. I must admit though, the thought had crossed my mind that if he had sunk his teeth into her I would have kicked him (i'm not especially proud of that).

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Lol, dont mention kicking dogs for goodness sake! Although if a dog is aggressive it's acceptable...(ignore me, private joke to myself).

Personally, i'd do whatever I could do to get the dog away from mine - kick it, hit it with anything useful I might have to hand (walking stick, end of the lead). I dont think there is much you can do in that situation except resort to getting physical.
    Some people suggest a Pet Corrector Spray. I have one but I dont take it on walks with me because it stresses my own dogs out and if I had to use it, it would make a bad situation even worse for them (I have 2 BC's who are very noise sensitive).

3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I think it depends on the situation and it depends on the individuals involved. There is no right or wrong in this situation, a lot is just instinct. Sometimes you might kick the dog, sometimes you might spray something in its face, sometimes you might just grab a collar.

4. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

I had a situation recently where one of my dogs was bitten but not really attacked as such but still managed to draw blood. There was a bloke walking his dogs and he was throwing a ball. My V went to get it at the same time as his labrador and unfortunately the labs teeth got to my V's eyebrow first. It all happened so quickly that I didnt think it had been done viciously but, as I said, he did end up breaking the skin above my V's eye. The owner of the lab was so apologetic I thought he was going to cry. He fished in his pocket for tissues to wipe my boys face down and we had a good look. It was a scratch rather than a puncture wound but looked worse than it was thankfully. I ended up placating this man while the two dogs went off playing!

I ended up bathing my V's eye with salt water for a few days and it did swell up with bruising but he's right as rain now. The joke of it is, if I throw a ball for my other dog, my V wouldn't dream of going to get it as he's always looked on balls with total disdain!!!:)

5. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I probably would kick it too. If my dogs were at risk, the other dog needs to be detatched in any way possible.

6. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Or I could whack it with a flexi lead, they are pretty hard!

7. sillysausagedog

sillysausagedog PetForums Member

When I was about 13 an off-lead dog approached mine and looked like it wanted a fight. I screamed, a genuine scream of fear, and it legged it! Then the few people around looked at me like I was crackers.

8. koolchick

koolchick PetForums Senior

A lot is instant reaction if my dog was being attacked I would kick the other dog. Your own dog has to know the owner will do their best to keep them safe. I have had to kick the odd dog when I had my last dog to protect him and afterwards he jumped up licking me as if thanking me for looking after him. Most dogs will back off if you kick them.

9. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Both have been attacked but chance worse, I dropped his lead as I knew he wouldn't bolt so he could defend himself and he did. I then booted the other dog and it soon got message and came off alot worse then chance.

But like leanne said I'd do whatever to defend my dogs.

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

First reaction is usually "Get out of it!" in a low, harsh tone of voice as I step towards the dog. I've found I usually don't need to go any further. If it comes to it though I do whatever it takes to defend my dog.

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I carry one of these now since my dog was attacked, recommended by a forum member.
    Bite Back

I won't be waiting to see if the encounter is a friendly one and as mine are always on lead do not appreciate dogs charging up to me no matter what their intentions are. Leaving a loose lead and staying calm didn't help in my situation so in future I won't be waiting to see how it pans out!

If people can't control their dogs then I'll do it for them!

12. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Over react much?

13. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Hello OP...

Yeah awkward cause you're near a road you can't drop lead... i'd try and get between them and then if all else failed i'd probably grab the other dog or try to get it out/off mine whatever way- but these things happen so fast you never know quite how to react-

Bruno has been attacked with intent by a dalmation, a boxer and a couple of others less so an attack rather than just 'narky handbags'

I don't carry any sprays or other BS like that- mainly because I don't live in fear (although i appreciate if other forum members have had their dogs injured or killed by others) and i do like to think i go out to enjoy a walk not look for danger in every off lead 'strange/suspicious' dog.

Was the other dog on a lead- i can't remember? It may just have been 'handbags' rather than anything else- i'm pretty sure, despite your dog being nimble if another really wanted to do damage it could have.

You'll do what you will should the horrible time come but in the meantime, enjoy your dog and try not to worry xx

14. Fifi McK

Fifi McK PetForums Member

V Scary :eek:
    Something similar happened a while ago when we were out walking but the lab attacked and broke Bubba's skin :cursing:.
    Since then I carry a telescopic walking stick/pole thing. Very light with a big loop so I just hang it off my wrist while walking - hardly notice it's there - apart from when I need it!
    Have never had to use it (fingers crossed) but comes in handy when strange dogs charge or give off weird vibes - i say 'Get out of it' and wave my stick about - sends them running off (slight draw back of making me look like a crazy woman! :001_tt2:)

15. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

thanks for all the replies, i feel much better regarding how i reacted now! The dog in question had a lead on but it's owner wasn't holding it :nonod: and i'm unsure what breed it was but definitely something a bit bulldog-like, much smaller than Tess but significantly stockier with big shoulders. His owner had to drag him away using quite a lot of force.
    If nothing else this will make me more aware of other dogs when we are out which is probably a good thing, until today we have only had really positive experiences so i just need to remember that the bad ones are the exceptions (hopefully!).

16. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Your business - not!! ;)

17. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Public forum. :confused:

18. ceejaybee

ceejaybee PetForums Newbie

Re laurahair's letter regarding attacked dogs, i would have no hesitation in kicking the offender! A couple of years ago whilst walking in the local park with Peggy my late staffy whippet cross, she was attacked by a dog for no apparent reason and the dog owner could only say his dog had never done that before. a sharp kick in the side made it release my dog who had to go to the vets to be checked over and ended up with 4 puncture wounds and an £80 bill as it was a sunday afternoon.About a fortnight later we were again in the park and this dog was off the lead, my dog just ran up and bit it on the chest,retalitation i think!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice