What do you do about cleaning dogs & end of walk?

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by bramhampoochpatrol, Dec 11, 2014.

1. bramhampoochpatrol

bramhampoochpatrol PetForums Junior

Hi all!

I'm finding as the weather gets worse I'm spending more and more time sorting out muddy dogs and it's getting to the point where it's causing serious delays some days. What do you do about this? I've heard a suggestion that I should ask customers if it's okay for me to cut walks short by 5-10mins if I think things are getting seriously muddy, to give me time to sort everyone out.

What do you do?

Thanks!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think it's reasonable to slightly shorten walking time in order to clean up the dog after a muddy walk.

3. xxJudexx

xxJudexx PetForums Member

That should factor into the walk time. I have a portable shower to clean extra muddy dogs (I haven't needed it this winter yet) otherwise they just get a quick wipe down. I usually get back to the car 5-10 mins early to let the dogs have a drink, a clean up and a calm down before the journey home.

Seonag likes this.
  4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I'd walk the ones who stay on lead on pavement walks? Would that cut down the washing slightly?

Seonag likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boy

For dogs that get muddy, I plan walks where there's is a stream near the end.

I'm lucky in that most of mine avoid mud, I also drive them to places that aren't overly used which aren't as muddy

6. Petsatyourplace

Petsatyourplace PetForums Newbie

I have started to begin walks earlier to allow for clean up - I have a wired haired vizzie and she is a total mud monster.

I have bought some doggie wipes which I use for short haired dogs and then a towel down seems to work. I give them all a towel rub down which whilst meaning nightly washing of towels helps reduce the (dog) wash time when I get them home.

I have one client with a warm water outdoor tap, wish I could wash them all under there :lol:

I would have a chat with your clients and mention finishing your walk a few minutes early to allow for clean up. All mine are fine with that as they don't want to come home from a day at work to a dirty dog or dirty house.

7. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

I know what you all mean and I don't walk all that many dogs yet.
    I have a client with 4 spaniels, 2 are adolescent and whilst they are pretty well trained and generally have good manners the two youngest ones think towels= playtime. They all make a beeline right for the muddiest and wettest places they can find and even once clean they take forever to dry to a reasonable standard- I always feel like I'm leaving them too wet and they always take ages to clean up and dry with there being 4 of them.

I use a portable shower to hose the legs and bellies down and give them a quick towel dry. I've also got a layer of bath sheets on top of the mats in the car cages to try wick a bit more moisture away. My washing bills going to be horrendous when I really get going.

Is there any or much difference in how well water absorbs from the dogs coats from using microfiber towels instead of traditional ones?

8. speug

speug PetForums VIP

how about some cheap drying coats for in the van on the way home? might cut down cleaning/drying time when you get there

9. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Cleaning dogs is considered part of the walk, so when it's very wet our walk would be 45/50 mins to allow for towelling off at the end. This is explained to clients when they sign up so it's not a nasty surprised that we're not walking for the full hour. It's also in our terms that we will do the best we can with the dogs, but can't return them pristine - we remind labrador and spaniel owners in particular that they have chosen water loving breeds, which means a certain amount of mess has to be accepted from time to time.

Microfibre towels work best when wet already, so we've found them a nuisance to use. We just use the ones I bought to pick the dogs up and put in the van so our hands don't get filthy.

10. bramhampoochpatrol

bramhampoochpatrol PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone - I have a portable pressure washer (hand pump operated so dog friendly) I use alongside about a dozen towels it's just the time that's the issue. 'Unfortunately' 80% of the dogs I walk are spaniels and love nothing more than mud and water!

Good to get some opinions though - think I will go ahead and speak to customers about deducting time from the walk if extra muddy dogs!

11. Ownedbymany

Dogrobes dog drying coat

This sort of thing? I think the claims made about 30 mins drying time are pretty over the top- maybe for some mildly damp dogs but I wouldn't think the "most" claim was true.

12. speug

speug PetForums VIP

ignore - puppy posted before I'd finished tyqwping

*typing - he also helps my spelling with his toys on the keyboard

#12 speug, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    CuddleMonster likes this.
  13. speug

speug PetForums VIP

yep - along these lines.
    don't think they'd get dogs totally dry but should absorb some of the mud and water while warming up the dogs - I often put a coat on my collie on the way home from winter walks to heat him up and start the drying

14. Ownedbymany

Good suggestion though, just might be a bit too expensive for me at the moment given I would need a few of each size.

Has anyone else found it worthwhile? I might just get a springer sized one to try first if I bother at all- I'm in two minds as it's the dogs legs and bellies that's more likely to ruin their owners sofas. BTW, I do warn the clients that there's only so much I can do but I think I will make it clearer in the service agreement and add the bit about shortening walk times slightly. I have a buffer period between time slots anyway but don't really want to be spending most of it getting the dogs house ready- it's ok if it's not a dog that holds on to every scrap of mud and water.

15. camille nayrolles

camille nayrolles PetForums Newbie

Hi Ownedbymany, where did you buy your portable water shower? I have just a multispace car and need to know what to fit in. do I get the water tank, then the spray jet device separately?

16. Ownedbymany

I bought a hozelock portashower off of Amazon as a whole unit. Apparently it's cheaper on eBay atm though. Some say it's not powerful enough but the way I see it is I don't want to bath a whole dog, I just want the worst of the mud off or to spot clean fox poo and that it does with no problems. Mines 3 or 4 years old now and still going strong.

17. camille nayrolles

Thank you! Meanwhile i have just bought a portashower kit on Ebay, just need to buy the water tank now. Thanks for advice!

18. Ownedbymany

Which one did you get? I don't understand the need for a water tank that's all.

19. camille nayrolles

20. Ownedbymany

Ah got you ☺ hope you find something suitable.