Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Do You Charge For Deformed Puppies?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by wisnoskij, Aug 7, 2020.

1. wisnoskij

wisnoskij PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I have a batch of GSDs who just starting growing in their ears at about 5 weeks. This caused us to notice that we have a puppy with a deformed ear. It is sort of scrunched up with a medium sized cleft, and a smaller opening. Clearly we were not paying enough attention to his ears to miss it for this long, but this puppy was actually receiving the most attention. It was the first chosen by its future owners, and has had a second visit from them recently, we also all sort of thought that it was the cutest so I think it gets an uneven amount of attention. His mother was very overstuffed, so I am pretty confident in assuming this was a simple physical injury caused by being pressed up against something while being formed. And we will have a vet check soon, so we will know for sure before any sales are finalized.

So it was not very noticeable, but if it does not start self correcting it will be very noticeable soon, particularly when one ear starts standing. If it stays like it is it should look like he was in a major fight a long time ago, and his ear was mangled.

Does anyone have any experience with finding homes for puppies with cosmetic deformities? What do you charge, is there anything you want to look out for? People are so desperate for puppies, I know I could probably lower the price by a thousand and he would likely be picked up within 5 minutes. But due to this high demand there is a lot of pet trafficking going on, so I need to pick the right price to guarantee him a proper home.

IMG_20200730_114644359.jpg

#1 wisnoskij, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Not sure on price, but can you ask the vet to check his hearing so any potential owner would know it is just a physical anomaly and won't have a long term impact on his general health?

Sarah H, Sairy, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

If you could lower the price by £1000, how much are you selling the rest of the litter (is a batch more than one litter?)? I don't know how much GSPs usually sell for, but with those sorts of figures it's sounding like you're already taking advantage of lockdown prices :eek:

Sarah H, Blitz, adamantis and 6 others like this.
  4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Do you mean GSD? Doesn’t look like GSP...
    Think you need to establish whether any hearing issues prior to establishing a price. They must be very expensive if you are thinking of reducing by £1000...

Sairy, wisnoskij, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  5. wisnoskij

I just ment a single litter. I either sell the puppies for market price, or most of them will be bought by resellers. You can sell water or gas below the market rate, and the only thing you have to worry about is the injustice of making less than the resellers, but with a living being you have the responsibility to find them a good "forever" home. I could simple not allow anyone to buy more than 1 puppy, but some of the traffickers are not going to be stupid. You should see kittens, they are worth at least 5 times the pre-covid price. Also if the cost of luxury goods go up because everyone has more money, that is taking advantage of the government printing money, not a pandemic.

Note: the GSP was a mistake, it should read GSD. Also $1000 CAD, which was less than they would of been worth in 2019.

Yes GSD, thank you. Oh course they all need a vet check, but I doubt that would affect the price that much, he can hear, if his hearing is 10-50% affected and he has human level hearing instead of super human level hearing, I doubt the average person will care that much. It is already clear that I will not be selling him as an IPO dog. No mutts even go for under $1000 CAD here, for at least a few years now.

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

There's more than price that guarantees the right home.
    I would hope that you are carefully vetting new owners, getting to know them, and are planning on following up with them as the pups grow to make sure they are doing well, you know, the usual that ethical breeders who care about their pups do?

Are these puppies from health tested lines? Just curious.
    And if so, what tests were done? Were you happy with the results?

Sarah H, LMH0307, Sairy and 1 other person like this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm confused by this, do you mean you sell to resellers or you are trying not to sell to resellers?

LMH0307 and Sairy like this.
  8. Dog-dogs

How I've read the post is if the market price is say £1,000. And you sell a puppy for £500 someone may see the opportunity to gain £500 by reselling the puppy for £1,000. But surely if you properly check potential owners you should avoid selling to this type of person in the first place.

Sairy likes this.
  9. wisnoskij

trying not to sell to resellers.

Yes.
    We wait till about 7 weeks normally for the official third party vet check and shots. But he has been slightly outperforming his littermates in vitality and general heathyness so far.

10. Dog-dogs

From reading your posts I understand you have a big litter of puppies to sell. So are you selling more than one puppy to each potential owner?

Sairy likes this.
  11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I meant are the parents health tested.

12. wisnoskij

That sounds naive to me.

13. wisnoskij

That was what the first yes was for.

But I did not come here to answer unrelated questions. If no one is interested in helping me find the best home for this puppy that I can, I don't plan on answering any other questions.
    Please keep this thread on topic, or refrain from posting.

14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yeah, you don't get to dictate how people respond to your posts. That's not how a public forum works.

As it is, my question is relevant. If these puppies are from health tested lines, and the results were exemplary, it justifies a higher cost as the required health tests are not inexpensive. Legitimate buyers looking specifically for health tested lines will be interested in these puppies. Other points of interest would be the achievements of the parents as far as working ability goes. And again, the entry fees and campaigning costs justify the price of the puppies, with or without a physical deformity that would not affect performance.

Breeders who health test and campaign their dogs are excited to share those results and don't get offended by that type of question, so my educated guess is that this does not apply to you. In that case, yes, I would worry that this pup (and frankly the rest of the litter) will fall in to the wrong hands.

I would encourage you to at least try to properly vet potential buyers and make sure you have excellent contact details so you can follow up on the puppy's progress at least through the first 2 years. GSDs who end up in unsuitable homes tend to not make it to 2 years in that home, so if they make it at least that far, you have a good chance of it working out.

The Wild Bunch, Rafa, Sarah H and 5 others like this.
  15. wisnoskij

Many forums do have a on-topic requirement. Also, I can decide not to respond to whoever I want. You can be as you want, sure, but I am saying this is the last time I will engage that sort of behaviour. I am not here to show off or sell puppies. I already know what the puppies are worth, but I am new/small/or lucky enough to have never dealt with any health issues in the past. But I have seen first hand puppies with health issues ending up in the wrong home, so I am extra worried about this one.

The other puppies are worth between 2.5-3K, partly because their background is working/ipo lines but mostly because the price in my area is insane and has been doubling every few years for over a decade now; I have seen mutts go for 3k.

16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

So you're pricing your puppies based on the prices in your area not based on the work you put in to the breeding or the effort you put in to vetting potential homes. Got it.

Ethical, responsible breeders are not in it for the money, they don't want to give pups away for free of course, but they know at best they'll recoup some of the cost, but certainly not make any profit. They're far more interested in furthering lines they care about and making sure pups go to the right home.

17. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Hi there, I think the first step you need to take is to get him checked over by a vet so that you can understand what the issue is and how it might affect him. Then discuss it with the owners to get their take. If it is likely to affect him in any way, or if he is likely to need further medical treatment, then it would be reasonable to reduce the cost to reflect this. If you are worried about these people selling the puppy on then I wouldn't sell to them in the first place. A responsible breeder will take the time to get to know each buyer and offer lifetime support. Of course there are never any guarantees and you can't predict what someone might do in the future, but that's life. All you can do is take the necessary measures to try to ensure the best homes possible.

Where about do you live? I am very suprised that you are selling GSD puppies for £3k. Even from working lines this is still an insane price, when you can normally get a well-bred shepherd for less than £1k in the UK. My own dog is from working lines, with police dogs, bomb detection dogs, IPO dogs, guide dogs and a whole range of other working dogs in her ancestry, with both parents health tested and she cost £800. What health tests have you done on the dam and sire and what were the results?

18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Just to add, charging a higher price does not guarantee a better home either. There are plenty of people out there with more money than sense and just because someone is willing to throw a whole load of money at a puppy does not mean that they will take good care of it. By contrast, some of the most caring, attentive owners I know have very little money, but spend what they are able to making sure that their pets have the best life possible.

19. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Batch! Overstuffed! Mutts!
    You have a puppy which is not going to sell for as much as you want, so you're seeking advice from us on how much you can palm him off for and still come out smelling of roses!!

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Just a thought. Is the OP not Canadian, therefore their language is slightly different. No idea what overstuffed means though!

I thought too that the pup had already been booked so, unless the new owners want to back out as the pup is 'faulty' surely there is not a problem. Reduce the price for them as that would be only fair and give them a vet report on the problem.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice