Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What do you all make of this!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Dec 5, 2018.

1. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I don't like metal dishes. Personal feeling really is all. I did try them back years ago but didn't care for them. They just seemed to get smelly. Hard to clean. And too deep for a cat's face anyway.

Glass won't cause allergies, easy to clean, less likely to harbor bacteria. I know a lot of people use metal but I am not a fan.

Even stainless steel scratches, giving places for bacteria (and odors) to harbor and....to me..just doesn't seem to get clean enough.

And you have to be careful about where they were made.

Glass/china you also have to be careful where they were made of course to ensure no lead.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It happens. I think most of us have had that kind of moment. I know I have. xx

3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Ha! Snap :D

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

ewelsh likes this.
  5. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Poor thing, hopefully the vet can give him some kind of sedative to keep him from scratching at the stitches (or pulling off the babygro) for a couple of days. Hopefully by that point the wound will have settled a bit. Such an awkward place to try to keep covered.

MoochH and ewelsh like this.
  6. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

One of the vets in the practise we use once told me there was no way she would let one certain vet sew up an animal of hers! According to her, Frankenstein`s monster sports neater stitching than any animal this particular vet has their hands on:)

ewelsh and kimthecat like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I shouldn't laugh but :Hilarious

ewelsh likes this.
  8. Dumpling

Dumpling PetForums VIP

Poor lad, he must be sore!

When Inca had her mammary cancer removed this year the wound was very large (they found an additional tumour and wanted to leave big margins) and had to have external, non dissolving stitches as she reacted badly to the dissolving ones last time. It looked pretty similar to Harry's wound and it has healed really well and she just has a hairline scar on her tum.

Has she tried a specific cat vest (I like these: https://medicalpetshirts.com/products/medical-pet-shirt/ ) rather than a baby grow? Inca could get out of a baby grow but not one of these!

Sacremist, TriTri, AmsMam and 2 others like this.
  9. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Interesting.

I use metal a lot - mainly because those are the bowls that came with the Neater Feeders that I use. They are very shallow though so that isn't a problem.

I don't think I've ever used glass ones. Not even sure I've seen glass ones much. I do have some glazed ceramic ones that I sometimes use.

Sacremist likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The Surefeeders I have for all my cats come with stainless steel bowls made to fit. They are very good quality (expensive) stainless steel and do not smell nasty (as I've noticed cheaper ones do). Also they are very scratch resistant; though when they do eventually become scratched I will replace them all with new ones.

I have some porcelain dishes for the cats too, mainly for liquids such as chicken broth etc. These are the wide, shallow bowls that cats like. The water bowls are all wide and shallow , made of ceramic.

The original Surefeeder accompanying bowls were made of hard plastic, similar to melamine but stronger, and were quite scratch resistant. However the makers had so many requests from customers for ceramic or stainless steel bowls that they researched for a couple of years to find the best alternative. Sadly, they decided on stainless steel bowls - I would have much preferred ceramic, (porcelain to be precise, as it is very hard substance which is difficult to scratch).

Their decision to choose steel material was based on the fact the rubber rim around the edge of the bowl (which gives it a tight fit to keep out flies etc) stayed put more reliably on the stainless steel bowls than the ceramic bowls.

I also have a raised dish support for one of the cats, which came with wide, shallow stainless steel bowls. The dish support is well made and useful, but the dishes were another matter, being cheap steel which smelt nasty and metallic when food was put in them. My cat was reluctant to eat from them and within a couple of days was refusing to eat from them at all. So I abandoned the bowls and instead now used some ceramic tea plates which fit the dish support perfectly. My cat is happy to eat off those. :)

You're right, glass (or pyrex as we call it in the UK) is not used here for pet dishes. The best one could do would be to use the lids of pyrex casserole dishes for cat food. Which I remember doing many years ago, when I couldn't buy any wide ceramic dishes for the cats.

Cully, lorilu, MilleD and 1 other person like this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Pyrex is a brand. I use Pyrex brand glass food storage bowls for storing their food. I wish they made shallow small bowls that I could use as cat dishes, I love Pyrex glass.

I don't use "made for pet" glass dishes. I use made for humans glass dishes. : ) They eat out of glass Corelle (brand) shallow dessert bowls.

These:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Corelle-Wi...8847&sr=8-1&keywords=corelle+small+bowls+4+oz

@ewelsh How is Harry doing?

#51 lorilu, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Wow, I haven't seen these before and I assumed from your link they must only be available from Amazon.com. But on checking Amazon Uk I see they are available here and not as expensive as I had expected (bearing in mind they're imported to the UK, probably from outside the EU).

I like the pasta bowls in the same make, mine would like those: .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Dessert-...eywords=white+winter+frost+dessert+bowls&th=1

Thank you for bringing them to our attention :)

The porcelain dishes I have are not pet dishes either, they're for humans, and are 'eared' white oven proof dishes, very strong, similar to these in the link but I think mine are a bit wider:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympia-W4...words=small+round+porcelain+oven+proof+dishes

AmsMam, Gallifreyangirl and lorilu like this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Those are nice! Lots of whisker room! The Corelle dinnerware isn't ovenproof I don't think.

I've been using those little bowls for far longer than Amazon has been in existence lol!

Yes I think the Corelle would be imported over there as they are Made in USA. I use only Made in USA for for anything glass, for cats or myself because of our lead laws. And I don't use anything with trim, for the cats..

Ps They never chip or break. I am a dropper and a breaker and usually wash dishes in a hurry. . I have never broken a Corelle bowl or plate or even chipped one, from dropping or banging it around..

I did break one once when I accidentally poured boiling water out of a pot onto one that was in the sink. It didn't shatter though, it simply cracked in two, the bottom separating from the sides.

#53 lorilu, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:05 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:13 AM
    AmsMam and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  14. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Update on Harry
    He had to return to the vets yesterday, he had a shot of antibiotics to last 14 days, stitches put right again! and the vet battled to put on another vest over a dressing!

486B8A04-700D-41B6-A1A1-950B371ABCCF.jpeg

But he got the vest off overnight! :rolleyes:

15. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Aw bless. He really isn’t impressed with the vest is he!

ewelsh likes this.
  16. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

@chillminx do you think the soft blue collar would work here. Just a thought?

ewelsh likes this.
  17. Eilidh

Eilidh PetForums Senior

Wee soul. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it with the samples. I'd be freaking out too if any of mine came home like that. All you can do is be a supportive friend and the advice given sounds sound. Hope harry and your friend feel better soon. Xxx

ewelsh likes this.
  18. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Wound sites are never great looking. It’s clean and when the coat returns will go.

Straight incision do look like a person had a go with a fork. It also depends on how much had to be cut out.

Most people don’t see human wounds as we cover them and use staples. I would 100% have stitches than the quick staples used on us humans

chillminx likes this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I don't think it would really Cully, as the wound is right on the back of the neck area and the collar would rub.

Cully likes this.
  20. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

How is Harry now? When do the stitches come out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice