Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What do you all make of this!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

A friend of mine went to the cat rehoming centre end of October and fell in love with Harry who is approx 3 years old, he was a stray found on the streets of Sunderland. It was love at first sight.
    Harry has made himself right at home.

CE597BDE-725C-4941-A666-270F66C4241A.jpeg

A few days ago, Harry wouldn’t stop scratching, so my friend popped him along to the vets, no fleas or anything obvious so they sent him home.
    Yesterday my friend took him back as he was still scratching, the vet thought it could be thick lumps of skin and old scar tissue which is causing the scratching. They also took scrapes of ear tissue to test and samples from his swollen mouth. Harry had to have an operation, to date the bill is over £600

No results are back yet, BUT Harry has returned from the vets like this!

956CF5C0-100D-4D7F-89EB-11D3CE0B1427.jpeg
    0A5DA468-513D-413F-995C-E0952C62BD9D.jpeg

My friend is absolutely devastated as Harry is naturally distressed. He has pain killers that’s it.

I have never seen anything like this mess in my life, anyone got any ideas what on earth could be the root cause for all this?

I have suggested she put a baby grow on him to stop him scratching the stitches, to try keep him stress free, plenty of food and drink plus keep on top of the pain relief.

Any ideas as she is so worried until the results come back!

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness!
    Didn’t they tell her why they took him apart and stitched him together like that?
    Poor Harry, what a nightmare!

3. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

That is a horrific!!

ewelsh likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

WOW! That must have been a shock! :(

Did the vet not have any clue or give your friend an idea of how the op might progress?

Hopefully, whatever it is/was has gone with no lasting effects and he heals fast.

Pain control is obviously top priority so I hope they can keep him comfortable.

Poor baby :(

5. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Bloody hell :eek: o_O
    Poor little chap, that does look a proper mess! I'm guessing they have removed the lumpy skin?!
    Never seen anything like it to be honest, and I'm wondering what rehoming centre he came from, surely they should have treated him before rehoming?

chillminx, Ceiling Kitty and ewelsh like this.
  6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

That looks's absolutely appalling. What sort of stitching is that supposed to be! Did they not explain why they have done such drastic treatment. I think if it were me I would take him to another vet and ask if they think this is satisfactory though I know they probably don't like to criticise each other. Surely, they wouldn't do that without knowing exactly what is wrong?

Eilidh, Angela_, chillminx and 2 others like this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Holy jeez.

What have they actually done? I'd be going to a different vet I think?

Poor baby. I can't see how fixing scar tissue by creating even more scar tissue with those horrendous wounds is remotely going to help??

Angela_, Summercat and ewelsh like this.
  8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I think I'd be having a conversation with the rehoming centre too.

Ceiling Kitty, moggie14 and ewelsh like this.
  9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

That looks awful! What on earth has he had done? Surely that's not just from taking skin scrapings?

ewelsh likes this.
  10. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Well I have to agree with you all, I don’t want to distress her anymore than she already is by saying all the above, what’s done is done. When she has calmed down I will suggest a second opinion. I have however suggested she asks for a full written report of the findings and not just verbal.

Apparently the first vet said it would be a tiny lump removed! Her husband brought him home like this.

I’m upset for her and poor Harry.

Anyone heard of lumps of old scar tissue causing a cat to scratch?

11. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

:Jawdrop:Jawdrop:Jawdrop Those wounds look horrific!!! Did the vet not discuss the op first and explain his intentions? It's a bit late now but I would be creating merry hell n demanding an explanation. Definitely use a different vet in future (even if she wants to stay with the practice)

ewelsh likes this.
  12. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Not available for comment

Whoa, time out!

Has anyone here ever stitched a cat? I don't think those stitches look bad for what they are: cruciate nylon skin sutures. Yes, there is a wide clipped patch. Yes, there are some rather ugly sutures in place. But hair will grow back, skin will heal and the sutures will soon be removed. Large skin wounds always look pretty horrid in the early stages after surgery. I personally disagree that these surgical sites look a mess at the moment, though of course that's only my opinion.

It's good that he's had painkillers, but what else would be needed following skin surgery? I can only really think of painkillers that would make sense, without knowing what the underlying pathology was.

It's not clear exactly what surgery he's had - presumably they've excised the scar tissue. I won't comment on why as I obviously have no idea. Presumably the vet(s) overseeing the case felt that the scar tissue was either causing enough discomfort to warrant doing so, or they were concerned that it was something sinister that was best gone. Have they sent the tissue away for analysis?

If your friend was unclear what procedure was being carried out when she signed her consent, or was not adequately forewarned about what his post-op appearance would be, then that is evidently a communication problem and she should speak to the practice about her concerns. Hopefully things will get sorted out if she is able to do this.

But I probably wouldn't criticise the appearance of the surgical sites as they don't appear untoward to me, at least not in the photos provided.

I hope Harry makes a quick recovery and that they can get to the bottom of it all.

13. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

When does she expect to get some results?

Ceiling Kitty and ewelsh like this.
  14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Bl**dy hell what a mess . I would be wanting an explanation for it all , from both the vet and the rehoming centre as this doesn't look as though it is something that has just happened .
    Poor lad he must be in a fair bit of discomfort :(

ewelsh likes this.
  15. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Not available for comment

PS I would add that the need to take clean surgical margins means that the wound you end up with after a lump removal is usually much longer than you'd think. That's normal.

If she gave consent for one lump to be removed and more were taken without her awareness, then that again is a communications failure to be addressed with the practice.

16. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums Senior

I've not experience but it looks awful without a proper explanation.

Poor Harry...

ewelsh likes this.
  17. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Take the poor animal to another vet RIGHT AWAY! This is criminal.

............. or is it a great big spoof? (please say it is!) Is that a real live cat or a dummy someone's codged up to shock us?

ewelsh likes this.
  18. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Poor little Harry, I hope he heals fast!

I think it's important to remember that skin things usually look worse than they are, whereas invasive internal surgery perhaps the opposite is true - you can achieve a very neat surgical scar at the skin but you have no idea what the "knitting together" inside looks like, and can be very painful of course.

Harry is obviously eating so must be feeling ok just now :) And skin heals fast!

It does sound like a miscommunication, perhaps her partner was more involved in the decision making at surgery? Perhaps they could've been a bit more informative about what the appearances may be but, remember as well it is only temporary during healing.

kimthecat, Forester, Cully and 4 others like this.
  19. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

In fairness, I burst into tears when Oscar had his neck shaved both sides just for his bloods. I think that makes everything look horrid. The wound sites look pretty reasonable to me (who is obviously only used to human wounds but I wouldn't complain too much about them on a human either). I hope that they sent samples away and I hope that Harry is comfy after his surgery and that he heals quickly. I'm sure it's the shock of it all for your friend - and yes, if there wasn't proper discussion about the surgical procedure prior to consent signing, that's another issue entirely.

I certainly miss the days when we could do individual sutures for women (!!), looks to me like these are individuals, which are brilliant if one needs to be removed, the rest are all still in situ. Feel better young Harry Cat. I'm not saying I would be calm about it if Oscar came home from the Vet with large sutures like this if I didn't know it was going to happen - and that would be my issue here, that I didn't know what was going to happen. They'll be out soon and hopefully it will be nothing sinister the has been removed.

chillminx, Cully, AmsMam and 2 others like this.
  20. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Just to clarify I wasn't critisizing the stitches, it was the size of the wounds and the fact there are two. By mess I just meant the whole of his neck looked a mess bless him.
    I agree it must be a huge communication issue if his new owner was devastated to get him home like this, she obviously wasn't expecting it!
    Poor little Harry, let's hope this skin surgery is a success, whatever he has had done, will be very interesting to hear the whole story.
    As I mentioned previously, I would be onto the rescue to ask if they had him vet checked. It is not fair to rehome a poorly cat who has now cost his new Mum a lot of money!
    I hope your friend gets the full story from the vet and it has a positive outcome for Harry, he sure is a handsome boy :)

kimthecat, chillminx, AmsMam and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice