Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what do the vaccinations cover

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jessiegirl, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

my pup has had her 2 vaccinations a few months ago , im just wondering what this covers? does it cover hard pad, distemper, parvovirus and kennel cough ?? id feel stupid phoning the vets and asking :blush2:

thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Can you look at her vaccination certificate and tell us what it says? Would give a little list of letters.

Not all vets routinely vaccinate against KC. Mine have never been done.

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We had our pup vaccinated a few weeks ago and it covered

Parvovirus,
    Coronavirus
    Distemper
    Hepatitis
    Leptospirosis
    Parainfluenza

I think that's what all puppies get in this country.

I don't think they give the kennel cough one as it's not technically a vaccinatation it's something they put up the dogs nose. I think it's an optional thing and usually done if your dog is going into kennels. My dog has never had the vaccine but he did get kennel cough about five months ago - it was easily cured though by a weeks antibiotics and an injection.:)

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Thanks for the advice nonnie, i thought the kennel cough vaccine is what you gave your dogs before they went into kennels as they could catch something nasty their, that isnt quite what i thought it was! So how do dogs catch it then, is it passed on my other dogs? and is it like human coughs well i mean passed on the same by an infected dog coughing on another dog, yes i know im dumb lol but i do love finding out stuff lol.

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Kennel cough is airborne and you don't even have to come into contact with the dog that has it for your dog to catch it if you are in the area that the infected dog has been. It's not life threatening though and is easily cured as long as you consult the vet at the start of it or if it doesn't appear to be getting any better after a few days. You can use childrens Benilyn too to help.:)

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Kennel cough is a little like a human cold i guess. Its very rarely a life threatening condition, and even vaccinated animals can contract is, as there are various strains.

Its highly infectious, and past very much like it is with people.

Not all kennels will require a KC vaccination. My dogs have been to two, and have not had it, and it wasnt requested. All other vaccines were.

7. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

this is what it says on my certificate

Nobivac lepto 2 AO43A02
    Nobivac DHPPi A162B01

Nobivac DHPPi A162BOi
    A04 3AO2

right , so i will have to get a seperate one for kennel cough then ( gonna have to put her into a kennel for a night)
    anyone know how much that injec will be?

#7 jessiegirl, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  8. Kennel cough is given through the nose (least thats how mine have it)l
    DT

9. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Have you got like a little card that opens up and the vet has ticked what he has vaccintated for?:confused:

Mine says Duramune DAPPi + LC for her first vaccination which she had before we got her and Canigen DHPPi and Canigen Lepto2. The second vaccintation was done by our vet.

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

D = Distemper
    H = Canine Adenovirus (Hepatitis)
    P = Canine Parvovirus
    Pi = Parainfluenza

Lepto 2 = Leptospira (2 varieties)

Speak to your kennel about the KC vaccine (intra nasal) as not all will require it, and those that do, will need it done a certain amount of time before the dogs goes in.

The numbers are just batch numbers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice