Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do I need?????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ty-bo, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

hiya,
    I havent posted in this section before so please forgive me if Im asking something thats already been covered a million times before :eek:

we are going to get a rescue bunny soon and he/she is going to be an indoors rabbit (obviously going in the garden when the weather permits!) but it has been years since I last had a rabbit so can anyone give me any tips or advice and a nice, long list of everything I need to make our newest family member feel welcome and happy?????

Thanks muchly in advance :D

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Thats brilliant :)

Ok well my joey and saffy were house buns to start with.

You need to bunny proof the house, wires etc need to be protected. You can buy nic cubes which alot of people have made brilliant set-ups out of sure they will post pics for you or a dog crate is good just to shut bun up at night.

Litter trays, its good your rescuing becasue the bun should be neutered which makes litter training a hell of alot easier trust me! Bun like to go in one place, you have to use natural litter, no clumping stuff. Pop a little bit of hay ontop to encourage the bun to sit in there.

Toys :) bunnies love tunnels and lots of things to nibble on (to svae your furniture!!).

Sure the rescue will go through everything with you, but if you have any specific questions before feel free to ask :)

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Ive got one of those indoor rabbit cages (like this one in terms of openings but much bigger http://www.pet-points.com/images/imac 120.jpg) and I'm not a fan of it, Miffy manages to trip on the door occasionally :(
    I would recommend a 48 inch or bigger dog crate, however if your rabbit is used to a hutch she might want straw as bedding rather than blankets and this can make a big mess as the crates dont have the high plastic sides, however if you put a square cat litter tray in with straw/hay then this solves the problem. Also I am not a fan of the rabbit cages they sell in pets at home with all the plastic inside, they will chew this.

Litter trays save u so much time, all you have to do is fill with some wood pellets I use beautycat or u can just use some straw or paper, and then every day tip the contents into ur bin or compost. This is much easier than scooping up poos, then at least weekly u will need to clean the cage. This is really important as rabbits do soft poos which they eat sometimes they stick a bit to the bottom of the plastic cage and poo will attract flies, which can then give you fly strike. if using blankets, swap and wash them at least weekly. and they also dont mind sitting on carpet left overs.

Food wise, it is much better to use pellets that the musili foods, this stops them from just eating the tasty bits and not getting the right vitamins etc, many people use burgess excel including me, I only give a small handful which forces them to then eat their hay.
    you will need a good quality hay, either the long stuff or a freeze type grass which is still green in colour. like these http://www.deemillen.co.uk/index.php?cPath=70_90&osCsid=be1818bb1e5113a03504ace4dcacc399. hay will keep their teeth in shape and their poos hard.
    rabbits love their veg, you should aim to feed them 4 different bits every day, so they get a good balance of vitamins. carrots and fruit are high in sugars and should only be used sparingly as treats. I normally feed something leafy like spring greens/cabbage/spinach, broccoli, celery, herbs such as basil, mint, rocket and watercress, which are cheap to grow youurself.

you will need to check your rabbit over at least daily, for pooy bum, fly eggs,
    eye goo, etc

If you rabbit hasnt been done, it is much better to put them in for the op, they are more friendly, house trainable and will live longer.

you will need injections every 6 months, my vet mentioned every year for my house rabbit but I would rather be careful and she goes outside on good days.

Exercise wise, your rabbit will need to be out all day not just in evenings when you are home, they get very frustrated in their cages. Best bet is to either have a metal pen around their indoor cage like Outdoor Pen with Fenced Covering: Great Deals on Small Animal Pens at zooplus these ones, this means u wont have to pick the rabbit up everyday which they tend not to be too keen on. or you can have the same run outside, so it can have grass, (if its not used to grass or young only put it out for a few hours a day a first) this will mean picking it up. or put it in a spare bedroom. also rabbits need space to run like crazy so it will need more than 1 room to run around in, mine loves stairs too.

also it is important that you pick ur rabbits up correctly if you google this you will find videos which are pretty good.
    your rabbit will need regular grooming even if it is not a long hair type, this helps them bond to u aswell. i use a cat grooming glove with rubber bits on it, this attracts all the loose hair like the glove shown here Cat Grooming Glove | Pets Pantry aswell as a soft brush

also rabbits love a friend of their own kind, this helps with grooming and boredom.

I'm sure i have missed plenty of stuff, but I hope this is helpful, although they are a lot of work they are defiantly worth it

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Make sure your buns have there injections also. Have fun.

5. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Oh, thats great-thank you :D plenty for me to absorb!!!!

Bunny is comming from a small rescue run by a husband and wife in their spare time so I dont think he (we decided on a boy!) will be neutered. I know I will probably get told this anyway but, what is the best age for neutering?

Also what is the rule on dandylions? Are they still ok to give :eek:

6. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Hi good luck with your new bunny! Cant ait to see pics!

It differs the ages for neutering, you have to make sure his balls have dropped :D and he is the correct weight etc but your vet will tell you this, its usually around 5-6 months.

Yes they can still eat dandelions! :D

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Sounds an odd rescue not to neuter to be honest, thats not very good. They can be neutered from 4 months as long as they are healthy and mature enough. Yep dandylions are fine, mine love them, lettuce is a big no no. :)

8. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Oh good, we have loads of dandylions in the garden :D :blushing:

They are an odd couple :eek:ut: !! only met them once before at sis in laws wedding last year. Sis in law has 3 rabbits from them and they just seem to take in unwanted pets through word of mouth inc. a couple of pregnant does which is why ours is a bunny....

Going to pick ours tonight so will keep you posted

9. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

What breed of bun are you getting?

10. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

He is a lop-I just cant rememeber which one :blushing: if there is a male in the litter that takes a shine to us that is!
    The other litter is Netherland but prefere the floppy ears :eek:

11. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

Treats, Sawdust (optional), Hay, Equipment - so your rabbit can have things to get stimulated - things such as, balls and cat toys are a good thing to use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice