Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by George Duke-Cohan, Mar 19, 2020.

1. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Hey guys,

So I have a problem that is really conflicting. So I love nature and what to do my best to support it, but I want to make a bird feeder and put it outside, but I have two cats. One is very active and has hunted in the past the other is lazy and steels the kill from her sister. How can I support the wildlife but n9t put it in danger?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Put the feeder very high up so the cats can’t reach.

Clear up any food that falls to the ground or place a high bird table underneath a feeder to catch any spills, discouraging ground feeding which will leave birds vulnerable.

I have put wire fencing around the bottom of shrubs that are closest to my feeders to prevent neighbours’ cats hiding then ambushing the birds.

jill3 and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  3. George Duke-Cohan

I shall try that and hopefully I can get some good pics to share with you all.

rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. George Duke-Cohan

I have setup a bird feeder do it of reach from cats and dogs. But I have yet to see any birds coming over. Is there anything I can do to help encourage them, or to make them aware of this plentiful food suply.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long ago?

I think it will just be a case of waiting.

6. George Duke-Cohan

About 4 days now... I see a few birds around in my neighbours garden but none in mine...

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Early days, probably ;)

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  8. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

It does take a little while for the birds to get used to seeing a new feeder ! Thinking back I'm sure it was a couple of weeks when I set mine up 5 or 6 years back.

I don't have a bird "table" as that's too easy for cats to climb and get to the birds; I have the metal pole type with "arms" for hanging the feeders off. Bertie will watch the birds from a distance but, so far, hasn't found a way to catch of any of them. Plus I have magpies visit and they're more likely to "dive bomb" any cats hanging around !

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. George Duke-Cohan

I have a metal pole with a bird bath and two feeders on. So sounds like I got the correct thing , I guess it is just a waiting game then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice