Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Do I Do!!!!!! ??????????????????

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by billyboysmammy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Up until the last couple of weeks i have fostered pregnant cats and their kittens for a local rescue for years...

My house was always always heaving with cats and kittens

Now i only have the one foster kitten left, and she is a special case so will be here for a while.

The house seems so empty with only my 3 puds and billy.

I decided to give up fostering as i wanted to spend more time getting billy well trained, and to allow me to save up and get the cat breeds as pets I have wanted for ages as pets and for showing of my own.

I just cant stand not having a house full of kittens....

The way i see it i have 3 options...

1) start fostering again

2) choose out of the breeds i want and possibly become a breeder

3) just get my show cats next yr and forget about kittens

I dont know what to do!!!!!!!

HELP! I'm having kitten withdrawal!

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Which option would give you the greatest joy? Could you not foster a few cats/kittens...less than you do now and still have the kitties you have always wanted?

3. I could but i would be risking alot with showing cats that have come into contact with cats carrying god knows what lol... i dont think it would make me too popular.

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Oh right...sorry...I don't know anything about show cats. I think fostering more cats is a great idea...there are many many kitties out there who need help. There are plenty of people showing cats. I suppose it's all down to what you would get the most benefits from. :D

5. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Personally I would find a breed you really love and start showing a neuter or a queen that you could possibly breed from,but alot of breeders prefer it for folk to show a neuter for a while first and get to the grips with the breed.

I think your attitude is very sensible and I think you realise that is probably best not fostering kittens when you want to show,as you say they can bring in allsorts. The only other option you could have is foster less and have them in a specific room and just be exceptionally careful hygiene wise, which Im sure you are anyway.

Have you got any breeds in mind?

Izzie

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

What a difficult choice! I think I'd look into breeding since you have loads of experience of bringing kittens into the world. then maybe you could keep and show some of your kittens :)

7. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

You've done a great thing fostering those homeless kitties but if you're real interest is in focussing on a breed that you love, I say go for it! :)

Personally, I would look into showing first, get to know your breed inside out, learn about the lines that do well at shows and then go into breeding fully armed with all the info you need. Showing is a great way to make contacts and really discover the cats which you are passionate about. Plus, although you clearly have great experience with Queens and kittens, each breed has its own idiosyncrasies and it can't hurt to know your breed really well before you start your own breeding programme.

That said, showing isn't for everyone (or for every cat for that matter). But you don't know until you try!

Good luck in what ever you choose to do! :D:D:D

8. Hiya

If i went down the breeding route, I was planning on getting a show neuter first before looking at getting a breeding queen, and i dont have the facilities or the room to house a stud cat so would only ever be a small cattery anyway.

I loved fostering and have done it for many years now, i just feel like its time i followed my own interests. Its been amazing and i am missing the challenges and the kittens like crazy.

I think going down the breeding route eventually would be the right decision for me. Once i had done my research.

The breeds i like are:

Bengals
    Tipped exotics
    Burmilla

i also want a sphynx - but purely as a pet, have wanted one for 10yrs now so its about time that dream came true!

I am aware i need to do my research into each breed before choosing the one that suits me the best, each of them appeals to me equally in its own way. Its not something i would rush into, and finding the right breeder to mentor me in genetics, lines, pedigrees and showing is of utmost importance! I would need help on show grooming, choosing the right kitten, finding a stud (when the time came and i had a queen), although I'm pretty sorted on bringing kittens into the world though ;) (300+ lol).

such a hard decision, and i know i am doing it for selfish reasons. I want to spend the rest of this year with Billy getting him properly trained, and my son starts school in september which will mean i have more time. I will be studying but only part time and from home mainly.

9. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Your comment about doing it for selfish reasons is completely un-required. You are planning on following your interests and goals and no one is going to begrudge you that! :D:D:D You've done more than your fair share of good deeds. Time to focus on you, I say!

I think you've got your head completely screwed on! Very few of the hobbie breeders I have spoken to keep stud cats. The space alone is often an issue. Getting a show neuter can be a very good way to get into breeding and learning about your breed, but it is not always necessary. Just see what opportunities come your way!

Plus, I think Burmilla's are georgous!!! :001_wub: Good luck!

#9 Dozymoo, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  10. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Hi Hun

Bengals go for Bengals!!! lol

Sorry i love bengals and i get mine in 18 days AHHHHHH

there is a great book on the googees site i brought it and it was read cover to cover in a day :D

Gogees - Perfecting the Bengal Breed thats the book!

Trish
    x

11. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I'd go down the show/breeding route. You have helped lots of kittens already & as you say, you can't do both.

From that list, I would love a Burmilla.

12. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

It really is up to you. Personally I think that you are an excellent and selfless person who I salute. So well done.:)

I really don't know what to say. I'd say if it was me to continue to foster but it is up to you. Whatever you decide and I'm sure you'll do a brilliant job at it.

13. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Show AND breed - then you get the kittens too.

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh yikes! I just know I am going to feel like this in a few weeks.

It's not good.

My parents think I am mad! I want more kittens! I don't think I could foster as I work 2 days one week and 3 the other week, rubbish! Even when I get my breeding girl I have to wait ages on completing the breeding seminars etc.

Moan moan moan moan moan.

Yes I have every sympathy with/for you. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice