Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sequeena, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My fiancé was paid this morning. Over a grand. By the time rent came out and one loan. We have £143 to live on for 5 weeks, nevermind all the other bills we have to pay.

I apologise in advance for snapping at anyone (and to anyone I have offended already).

I don't know what to do. The OH has really bad credit history and I practically have none so we cannot get a substantial loan between us to consolidate our debts.

The debt isn't that much, £3-4000 at the most but to me, someone who has never been in debt in her entire life I am terrified.

:(

2. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I'm sorry your having trouble with money. I know its scarey. The only thing I can suggest is you contact your local citizens advice bureau and see if they can help.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I guess I'll have to. I hate situations like this :(

4. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Firstly I have read your threads and I don't feel you have snapped at anyone hun!

Ok the debt, you need to go to the Citizens advice bureau and see what they can advise. I think they are your best option. The debt management programmes will pay a small figure off every month and it destroys your credit rating. I would suggest you write a letter which can be sent to your debtors explaining your current situation. I feel if you are honest with them they may put a note on your records and be far more understanding. Credit card companies can and do reduce payments and can freeze interest on your accounts.

I know its easier said than done but try and stay calm and cool, if you and your fiance can talk through it together and work as a team you will get through this patch!

Best of luck

Izzie

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

try not to worry it will make you ill, I know how you feel, the best thing you can do is go and talk to the CAB, they can help you out and help ease your worries, I'm sure you can get sorted with the right advise :) xx

Ladywiccana likes this.
  6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thank you hun, I will definitely take your advice.

The worst part is, it's not even my debt, it's his (I know this sounds incredibly selfish of me), why should I be worried over something that isn't mine?

And he wonders why I'm an insomniac and had to quit work (which I'm about to go crawling on my knees to beg for it back). I don't need this on top of everything else that is going on :(

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Awe sweetheart I really feel for you , my son and his partner are in a similar position but they and their baby are going to move back in with us to help them get back on their feet.

Terri

8. Malaguti

Malaguti PetForums Senior

Oh dear! Money eh? Always too much month left at the end of the money.

Have a look through here as well while you're waiting to go to Citizens advice - this site has helped me out more than once with my debt woes! If you register you can have access to lots of template letters as well that can be sent to creditors if necessary.

The Consumer Forums

This site is quite good as well - again, template letters and advice :)

National Debtline – Free, Confidential Debt Advice – Call 0808 808 4000
    Or have a look here as well (advice and also template letters)

9. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

No it doesn't sound selfish, my hubby is crap with money, really bad and that has rubbed off on me.

Its important to sort this out now before you go any further. You will worry cos its your future that is affected too. You need to sort it so that when you try for a baby again you don't have the extra stress and worry going on. You need that peace of mind.

I hope your job takes you back. You need your own money too!

Izzie

10. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I have been there and bought the teeshirt.
    When i was in it bad i just made sure that i paid my rent and utility bills. Anything else was told that we would have to come to an agreement or they wouldn't get anything. If they took me to court they would only get a pound a month on the income we had coming in.
    For goodness sake avoid taking more debt out.

My sister in law told me that when she got in dificulty and the creditors rang she told them that she only had a small amount to left each month to pay off debts and that all her debts were put into a hat, she told them she picked so many out of the hat each month to get the money. If they got stroppy she would tell them she wasn't even going to put them in the hat this month. lol

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I agree with the others to get advice, not just regarding the debt, but there may be extra money you can claim - you may be eligible for tax credits or something like that, so it is worth looking into.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone for your advice. Sadly my old job has no openings right now. I don't know if it's genuine or if they just don't want me back though :(

It's hard to not take anymore loans because I know things have to be paid (ie rent otherwise I won't have a roof over my head and with two dogs there's no-one that could take us in).

I will try and find out about tax credits, thanks Dundee :)

13. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Awwwww huni, I know how you are feeling, i 2 have been in debt, but can now say that i dont owe anybody anything for a change!

It is hard to get out of debt once in it, especially when the bugga's keep putting over fee charges and late payment charges on stuff, its like we take 2steps forward and 10 back!

But i would do what izzy said and ring the cab, thats what they are there for! Dont be ashamed hun, as in this day and age i dont think there are many people that arent in debt! Yes it can be worrying, but dont let it make you ill, its just not worth it!

Let us know how you get on.

14. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I am in the exact same position as you :( I'm desperately trying to find a job, and I'm going to ask my parents for money. I have 2 credit cards, and 2 fully maxed overdrafts of £1000 each :-(

Can you not talk to your parents and see if they can sub you anything for a short while to just be able to get back on your feet?

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My mother is disabled. She barely has enough money to cover her own bills (she's had loans from provident - silly woman) :(

16. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

My dad is disabled, and he bascially lives on minimum money, but he has a teachers pension from working as a teacher for 25 years but there is no way I can afford anything. I should not have gone away this year or I wouldn't be in this mess!

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Nevermind hun, as they say you only live once :)

18. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Speak to National Debt Helpline - free independent advice
    There is something called a Debt Management Plan that might work for you.
    National Debtline England & Wales | About National Debtline

Sorry you are having problems, I know what its like, there have been times when I haven't eaten for 2 days apart from any leftovers from the kids so I could make sure they had enough food. Your not alone we've all probably been there at some point during our lives.

19. sammyben

sammyben Guest

I can totally sympathise with you hunni, like most on here as we have all been in that situation at one point in our lives. Its how you deal with it that matters, like everyone else has said....try and get advice. As long as the main bills are paid like rent, gas electric etc. As for the rest of them, just give them a call and tell them you are going to be struggling a little for the next few months or so and ask if you can reduce your payments for a while. Hopefully they will understand.

HUGS x

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thank you both, I am terrified I won't be able to feed the dogs, that's how bad it is :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice