Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what do i do?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by reddd123, Aug 29, 2013.

1. reddd123

reddd123 PetForums Member

Right..I would like to walk dogs as it is something I enjoy obviously. I have walked two dogs two years ago for the summer and that was fine. But since coming on here I realise you need insurance and things but how do you go about it. do you..

a ) build up to like 4/5 dogs then buy insurance and stuff like that..
    or
    b) get the insurance and everything then try and build up..

Im 18 if that helps..

oh and I walk my own dog..obvs ;)

2. EssexWags

EssexWags PetForums Member

Insurance is a priority !

3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Their is no law that states you must be insured to walk dogs though it certainly helps. If you get insurance you still need some cash spare so it helps to have a part time job to start with. Insurance does not cover everything just towards a large sum.

Speaking from experience it helps to have a car I'm currently without and I'm planning on getting one. Usefull in the event of an emergencey.

It helps to have experience but again not a requirement

I would look on the compass website at courses as I think these would help but again not essential.

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Do you mean walk dogs as business?

I'm pretty sure that if you are being paid to walk other peoples dogs, you need insurance from the get go.

Do you have experience with a wide range of dog breeds? first aid/animal qualifications? your own transportation in the event of emergencies? etc.

5. reddd123

no..

thanks for the response guys, I just need some extra money while Im searching for a job and everyone recommends 'dog walking' but its not that easy is it

6. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Depends how much you really want it.

Its not that easy, takes time to learn it but it teaches you responsability and earns you a bit of cash you can use to save for driving lessons which is what I'm doing :>

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

To put this statement into perspective, failure to have the right insurance could result in the loss of your home, car etc in the event of a claim.

I have no idea what the last sentence means.

8. reddd123

In my case it'll be driving insurance :p ahaa how many dogs do you walk then Prowl?

9. Debzdogs

Debzdogs PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Firstly if you are making any money from it you need to register with the taxman. Then you need insurance (i wouldn't employ a walker that hadn't got any :eek:. A Crb check is not essential but another thing i would look for if i was inviting someone into my home whilst i was not there.
    Its a fantastic but hard job and i am constantly amazed at how many think it is easy money :(

10. reddd123

thought you only have to register with the taxman if you start earning money over a certain bar.. like £6000 of something like that

11. Debzdogs

Debzdogs PetForums Junior

No i'm afraid not :(. The day you start now

12. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

You need to fill in a small earnings exemption certificate if earning under a certain amount self employed. I can't remember exactly what the amount is but the HMRC website is full of information.

13. Amberlilly

Amberlilly PetForums Newbie

Taxman need to know asap! no matter how much you earn, if you are earning, he needs to know, its not worth trying to hide from him...lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice