Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what do I do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by amy_lou_79, Jan 14, 2008.

1. amy_lou_79

amy_lou_79 PetForums Junior

I have rung the vets up about the my puppies getting there 8 week injections. She said that if I got them done then they couldn't go to there new homes till they were 12 weeks old? I thought that I could get there injections done at 8 weeks then they could go a couple of days after?
    What do I do?

colliemerles likes this.
  2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i had my all litters injections done at 8 weeks and just after that they all went off to the new home's with a puppy bag,
    i never had anything from a vet saying theycant go until 12 weeks if i have the injections done

perhaps they are hoping if you keep them until 12 weeks then your pay out again to have the next lot done

have them injections done and then let them go to the new home's at 8 weeks oh and wormed

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Agreed Carol, I did the same with my litter, All but the 2 i had left waiting to go to their new homes at later dates so i got them 2 fully innoculated.

4. nici

nici PetForums Senior

same here .... i thought youcould have 1 jab done then home them, :) my vet has now changed the age for jabs he dosent do the first until 9 weeks and second is still 12 weeks, dont no why:)

5. amy_lou_79

Thought it was a bit strange when she told me!

6. Brainless

Brainless Guest

I think what they probably meant it is best not to send out pups part vaccinated, as most likely the new Vets will start the course of vaccination all over again as they may be using different vaccines, and then the pups end up being over vaccinated.

I never send out pups part vaccinated.

If they are due to go at 8 or 9 weeks then the new owners get them both done. If I know a pup will stay past 10 weeks then I will get those pups done at 8 and 10 weeks so they are fully vaccinated.

If a pup should have an unsold pup then it would not go until after it's second jab if it already had it's first.

7. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

I did both...two pups went at 9 weeks and half injection, puppy pack etc...other two went later (with full injections) because their new owners wanted them home it time for their annual leave to settle new pups in. Last one we kept...he's had both (obviously) lol

Brainless...I didn't know that...I assumed all vets used the same injections?? Will have to bear that in mind.

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, have your puppies health checked before having their injections.

9. Brainless

Brainless Guest

No there are quite a few different vaccines used up and down the country and I have been informed by my Vet that they can't simply give one shot of the other vaccine as they all differ slightly.

I have had several owners tell me that the pups had to be restarted, as did my foundation bitch, and since I there has been so much concern about the possible side effects of over vaccination, is why I do the all or nothing route.

10. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

There is a train of thought that if a pup has a major upset around the time they are vaccinated, the vaccine is more likely to have adverse effects, maybe this is what the vet was thinking of, going to a new home is a major change in the pups life.

11. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

This is so different to cats, kittens cant leave home till 13 weeks, fully vaccinated and two health checks

12. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Brainless...

Interesting!
    I will definately do both then (if I ever do it again that is!) We didn't charge anymore for the second injection either...so makes no difference to me personally. Would rather do both if that's the case. At least then I know they have the best chance possible.

Nina,

We did this also, before all pups went to new parents. :D Better to be safe than sorry.

Mind you despite all health checks and injections poor Banjo still ended up poorly.

Brainless...my vet told me that there was no possible way that we could have known one of our pups would have got heamophilia...but I have heard you mention heamophilia testing several times. He told me that Meg and the Sire could just have the 'gene' and bringing the two together (in mating) can cause it, but there would have been no test to show that could happen? Surely if we had had Meg heamophilia tested it would have shown up in her...I could then have asked if the Sire had been tested too?
    We checked with the vet before even considering mating, to make sure we got all the tests Meg needed to have a good breed of pup...wonder why he never mentioned this one? Or am I totally wrong??

Sorry to go off subject guys...just wondering :eek:

13. amy_lou_79

Going to be on the safe side and not get them done as all vets do it differently. Two people are happy with that and would rather they did it themselves so I shall ring the other two buyers this weekend and see what they say.

14. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Jenny this is so very true.

All too often, vets will administer injections without checking temperature etc, and dogs have died as a result. This is why I started the previous thread concerning over vaccinating.

I have also discovered that my insurance company, will now except nosodes as alternative to vaccinating, however, I will probably get the first vaccination done when we get our puppy in the Spring. Only however, after a thorough health check, and never again.

15. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Hemophilia A, a sex-linked recessive trait carried by females and manifested in males, is a blood-clotting disorder brought about by a deficiency in certain substances responsible for normal blood coagulation.

This condition be blood tested for in German shepherds, and Australian Cattle Dogs the males are tested as the test is for affected dogs.

Here is an article on Haemophilia A in the GSD HAEMOPHILIA 'A' SCEENING and haemophillia A

Von Willebrands a bleeding disorder in Dobermans now has a DNA test, but previously it was a clinical test so you knew which were affected but not which were carriers.

Von Willebrands is seen in a number of breeds, but don't know if the dobe DNA test works for these, as could be a different gene.

Here is an article about the different forms of Haemophilia in dogs hemophilia

This one says:
    Breeding advice

Because hemophilia is a sex-linked recessive trait and the carrier state can be detected by testing, this disorder can be controlled. German shepherd females and females from lines of other breeds where hemophilia has been diagnosed, should be tested for the carrier state. Males used for breeding should be screened for the disorder.

So am not sure if that means the girls can be tested for carrier status for all types, if so then I wonder why they advise just the males are tested in GSD?

Just to add most GP vets are not up on the latest in canine genetics and testing that can be done to reduce genetic disease.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice