Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do I do...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Savahl, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Basically, I am being made redundant and I have to get a new job.

When we got buster, I was in a relationship/marriage, I worked shift and he worked weekends so was off in the week twice. Buster wasnt alone alot.

Now, Im losing my job in July, and work locally is looking unlikely. Also work that is static is also unlikely - everything in my field seems to involve travelling, and a lot of it. So I am worried about buster.

Best case I find a job in town so he is only on his own as much as he is now. Middle case is a static job with a commute, not great for him but achievable if I sacrifice some of my food and lifestyle budget for dog walkers.
    Worst case, i have a commute as well as travel for a few days a week. He will be alone for simply too much, and alot of kennel stays if i end up staying anywhere on business. I dont want to rehome him, it would kill me, but at the same time i dont want to be selfish and cause him to suffer...

What do i do :(

2. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Gosh what a horrible situation. Fingers crossed it's best or middle options not the worst :(

My hours increased last year and I now have a dog walker 3 times a week. It's not ideal but means bell isn't alone for long periods and gets an hours walk. But now my hours have dropped but not enough to lose the walker so it's costing me a bit too much right now :rolleyes:

I hope everything works out for you and buster xx

3. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

can you dog share with anyone you know who maybe wants a dog but can't fully commit? I 'share' my dog with my mum, so I have him on weekends and when i'm working shorter hours and she has him when I'm working longer hours.

I'm sure you'll work something out re walkers and kennels. The fact that he does have an owner who cares enough to do that means you're good enough for him, so i'd only think of rehoming if it really didnt work and he was upset with that arrangement

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Would you not consider a career change?

It would be a no brainer for me. I'd find something that suited both me and my girls :)

What field do you work in currently?

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Unfortunately he is just too boisterous for my mum and my grandparents... he would injure the latter i think. And my stepdad is quite short fused so it just wouldnt work with my mum. I am keeping my eyes open however. If i get a static job then i will def keep him and find a way. Im even considering giving my lodger a cut on rent if i have to travel to look after the dog - but it isnt fair on either of them really... buster just wont get the walks he needs.

My worry is mainly busters nature...he is very energetic and, whilst he is full of character, he is a handful and requires alot of stimulation and patience, and Im just not sure that I would be happy letting someone handle that as a favour to me...

I really dont want to lose him, he is my whole world really...who comforts me when im having a tough time - and iv had a lot of them recently! But i would hate to think he was suffering for me... I wish dog walkers were cheaper! Im not even sure i could afford one full time.

6. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Im an engineer - I dont know what else i could do that would mean i wouldnt lose my flat cos of the drop in income and hence make me and the dog homeless! I dont see it as an option to be honest

The problem with work is my town used to be a heavy manufacturing industrial new-town. All the factories are gone now, so the only local work yet is contactor based - which obviously means nationwide work. But I have spent the last 8 years working my arse of and studying constantly to get where I am with my career - i dont want to waste all that effort, my career is important to me. So is buster but thats why I want to do what is best for him in the long run.

#6 Savahl, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Nothing is impossible :)

What field are you an engineer in? and what other job experience do you have ... or what would you consider doing even?

8. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

could you take in a lodger and offer them reduced rent in return for dog sitting when you need to be away?

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I have a lodger atm, and i am gunna talk to him about it. Im sure he would which would solve the problems I just know hes a lazy bugger so buster wouldnt get walked - but its better than nothing!

10. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I am an electrical engineer, experience in maintenance, automation and control and facilities management. So im looking for work in all those fields, plus project engineering. I need a job by August, without fail, so am spreading myself as wide as possible.

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

12. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Thanks, i think iv already applied for that one through another agency. (im under qualified in projects for that one really-only ever managed facilities projects that were <25k so minor)

Iv applied to pretty much every projects and FM job that im qualified for within 30miles lol, im also signed up to 4 technical agencies, and 3 job alert sites. trust me I am doing my best to find something local.

#12 Savahl, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  13. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

If the worst case scenario did happen and you had to travel often and couldn't be there for Buster then as much as it would hurt I think the best thing would be to rehome him.

But you know I don't think it will. When you give it 150% like you're doing something good is bound to come your way.

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I gave the link to see if I was on the right track ;) I've no doubt you will have found every last position out there near you hun.

Have you thought about setting up on your own? Are you getting a decent redundancy package?

The other option of course is to keep looking for a job, and if you do get one out of the area what about moving nearer to work?

15. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

If it ends up being a worst case scenario, could you not contact a rescue to see if they have any kind of temporary foster home until may be able to sort something out? I know it's far from ideal but it's an option at least.

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

In Crawley you are right next to all the major airlines, aren't you? And Gatwick Airport? Isn't there anything there? What I would do is have a word with the lodger about overnight care if necessary and get in a reliable dog walker. It would be far more stressful to him to rehome him, I think. I always think that dogs are happiest in their familiar environment, even if things have changed a bit.

17. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

I think changing employment circumstances is so common nowadays that many people find themselves in this position. However, I would say find a job first and then worry about it. It may all fall into place and everything will be OK and Buster will be none the wiser.

Re the worst case scenario: How much is a dog walker in your area compared to a doggy day care centre? There is a day care centre in my area charging £12 per day. Not much more than a dog walker who only does 30 minutes with the dog. This is not cheap of course but is it worth a thought? If you could afford it Buster may be very happy in one of these places.

Terrible dilemma for you on top of the stress of redundancy. Wishing you all the best.

18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Didn;t you have an interview the other day - how did it go?

I really hope you can sort something out out. I think dogs can be a lot more resilient to change than we think. I know dog walkers are expensive - I can't afford them :(

Can you employ a family member, neighbour to come round, get a dog flap to enable Bustery to have a toilet break?

Hope you can sort something out

19. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

If you get a travelling job buy a motor-home and take him with you :)

20. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Yes i live by gatwick, but sadly no jobs going there atm for what i do :/ I am looking into relocating if i have to, although im hesitant cos i rent my mums flat atm and would be dropping her right in it as they dont want to rent it formally. But needs musts.

I used to do doggy daycare when uni was a long day, it was 15 a day i think, which is fine once a week but i couldnt afford daily :(

Have yet to talk to the lodger re: dog sitting

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice