Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do I do? (O/T Guinea Pigs)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hazyreality, Jul 1, 2010.

1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Hey guys its a guinea pig thread again, I dont really know anyone over in rodents!

As you know Sullivan died on Saturday. I kept Sidney on his own until Tuesday night when I gave all 3 a bath and put them together. There was the odd scrap, but they soon settled down, so I left them together overnight. Dad said they were having a huge scrap in the morning when he came in from work, but no-one looked too worse for wear and were just ignoring each other. I put them into Sidneys hutch(thought it was better than Ben n Franklins.) and they just seperated themselves off, been to check everyone over tonight and Sidney had got a slit out of his lip, a bite on his nose/cheek(2 teeth) and one on his ear. Ben has a bite on his nose/cheek. Franklin is fine.
    I have done the wounds with Hibiscrub and taken the scabs off as thats what the vet told me to do, when I had Ben with a bite on his nose before!

But I now dunno what to do with Sidney, at the moment I have seperated him(he's in Bens hutch cos I could catch him easier!)
    I can't get another guinea pig, its not an option. So I can either keep him on his own and he can see the other 2 or I have to rehome him for him to go with another guinea. I have a friend who takes in ways and strays in guinea pigs, so he may be able to go there, but I dont really want him to go, hes a real sweet guinea :) Is it being selfish tho if I keep him?

What would you guys do?

Why cant they just get on!!!

*Heidi*

2. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

*cough* i go in rodents ;)

If you can keep him so he has contact with the others but none of them can get hurt then i would do that. Maybe it is selfish, but only you know in your own heart if you could bare to part with him

I had one of mine in a run next to some of my others for a while as he hated other rabbits. Then eventually they started to lay next to each other and kiss through the bars. It wasnt so bad keeping him seperate then as he had friends he could see

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

to be honest its probably better to remove him now as they are likely to do real damage to each other once they strat to fight its not easy then getting them together. I have had a lone boar and use to keep him next to my other piggies so he could have some contact but no damage could be done

4. hazyreality

I have seperated them already, I had that say because of the injuries already.
    I know you can keep them on their own but I just feel guilty doing it.

Ok, ok, so you go in rodents!
    I guess I will keep him seperate for now.
    I need to change it so thay are back in the right hutches lol.
    Will he be ok in the run on his own tho, wont it scare him? My other 2 stick together when they are out there?

*Heidi*

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

He'll soon come round hun, even if he's a bit timid at first x

6. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

I have a PEW on his own, because he litrally eats other guinea's and he gets more attention when he is on his own aha he has full run of my bed room haa x

7. umber

umber PetForums VIP

I don't know much about piggies but I hope it all works out for you hazy xxx

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Is he too old to neuter??
    Last time I was left with a lone boy I got him neutered and got him harem of 6 girlies to live with.
    He was in hog heaven!!LOL:thumbup:

9. hazyreality

He is only 2, so could be neutered, but I dont really want to take on any more piggies to be honest. They dont get a huge amount of attention as it is, I just dont get the time to handle them as much as I should. I said I wouldnt replace them, I would stick with the rabbits instead.
    Also I think the smell of girls in the shed may cause the other 2 boys to fight?

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice