UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Olly (1 year old resident) and Suzy (2 year old new rescue) are still working out their differences. She is crated for a lot of the time but we are allowing them to interact and chill together when supervised. However we still have to intervene at times, just by watching the body language. One has to be quite vigilant and I find it a bit stressful.

We are going away for a month in December and have another couple coming to house sit for a month. However it's not fair on them to give them a situation that will be difficult for them to manage. I have never introduced a new dog before, and would not have chosen this timing in hindsight.

Shall I consider boarding Suzy elsewhere for the month? They will have been together for 2 months by then. I'm hoping they will have settled. But I won't enjoy my holiday if I'm worrying about whether the house sitters can handle the situation. It's not that it's bad, but it does need watching at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
I'm afraid only you can make that sort of decision.

Are your house-sitters experienced with dogs?

Forgive me saying so but it's a bit hard on Suzy, after only being with you for two months and still settling in, to be sent off again and means you will probably have to start from scratch again with the two dogs once you return home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Twiggy for your reply. I agree it's hard on Suzy, but the house sitters are not that experienced with dogs and I worry about their management, and that a month without the correct management might set them both back.

It's been almost 2 months and Olly has really changed. He's gone from a happy, chipper little boy to a subdued anxious dog, always worrying about her getting food and attention. I'm concerned we've made a big mistake for Olly. Suzy is happy and settled - but he is a different dog. I know we're not supposed to apply human emotions to dogs, but I am devastated. I've lost my bond with him - he never engages me anymore, doesn't want to play, doesn't lie on my feet anymore. I'm really regretting this decision.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I would kennel Suzy while you are away and really thing about what to do with her when you come home. Maybe then if your other dog is back to his happy self that will determine your decision. Try not to worry and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You may have a real problem getting Suzy into a good kennel if it's over Christmas I'm afraid. It sounds like this is the best option though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got her into a fantastic boarding place with a qualified trainer who is superb. She however is not really the problem, it's Olly. But thanks for your advice, I agree that boarding seems to be the only option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.