Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What do do....puppy's first week

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by e_clark, May 27, 2010.

1. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

Well I'm getting my puppy 2 weeks on Sunday :D (woo!) However the week following that is the last week of university, which ideally I'd have liked to go to, but puppy comes first, so I'm coming home, as I don' really want to miss out on his first week, and I think if I was away all week he would bond to my mum and not me, and I think the first week at home can be quite shaping? I think I'm going to go back for a few days, but I guess I just wanted peoples opinions really on whether they agree or not that being home for his first week is important - if the general consensus is it doesn't matter then I might change my mind!

2. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I believe it's important. Vital training and bonding time should really be in his new environment and introduce more as he grows up.

3. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i agree with jess the first week is when they start to familiarize themselves with their new life

4. rona

rona Guest

How old is pup going to be?
    Is there any chance of the breeder holding on for an extra week?

5. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

He will be 9 weeks - I don't mind missing that week at all, all exams etc are over by then anyways, its more just a "fun" week, but I'd much rather be at home with puppy! I think I will go back for a day or two at the end of the week and my mum can look after him, but this has just confirmed that I thought it would be best to be at home with him! I was only a bit unsure as my mum was saying last night that shes more than happy to look after him, so I just wanted soemone basically to confirm I was thinking the right thing by staying at home with him, if that makes sense :) Breeder didn't seem overly keen on keeping him longer, she actually suggested an earlier date than that, but my exams don't finish until 10th, so can't have him until then - I think she would have kept him if I pushed a bit more, but tbh its all worked out now how we are going to pick him up, and having him a week younger is a bit nicer as they grow up so fast!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice