Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What did I do wrong? or.. (What else could I have done?)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Chatcat, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Still smarting a bit from this one, so I'm venting on here!

We were walking along a series of footpaths which go round the outside of fields, so you are syphoned along, so to speak, in a 10 foot wide path, there are t junctions, etc, until you get to common land. Ahead of me, crossing the path I was on, was a very large bulldog type with long legs, and an old-ish labrador. The owner was about 30 yards in front of her dogs, not looking behind her for them...

So, this labrador turns off her path and onto mine, and the bulldog follows. They are coming up my path, the woman is continuing on her path. They are about 5 yards from me, and Clo is still on her lead, so we stop. The woman finally looks round, but the dogs are now trotting towards me and the labrador comes right up and sticks its nose into Clo's face. The woman calls out 'it barks a lot but it won't bite' and she heads for the bulldog, but it is the lab that is giving me grief. A small scrap ensues, and I back up, with my hand in Clo's harness. The woman goes 'that wasn't my dog that started that fight'. She is holding the bulldog but the lab is loose, so I keep Clo very close and scuttle past her, I said 'It is my dog that is on the lead', and she hurls abuse at me as I walk off.

Honestly, sometimes I despair. I don't really see what else I could have done. I was in control of my dog, and she didn't even know that hers had left her path, but apparently it's my fault?? I suspect that she was just embarrassed as she was caught napping, but it was a beautiful afternoon and it upset me.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Be upset on Clo's behalf nothing else. Stupid woman needs to look after her dogs, you did nothing wrong and seems to me that you could have done nothing different

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would have told her to p*ss off.

4. Peggypegs

Peggypegs PetForums Junior

I feel your pain, you did nothing wrong, how she be so rude when it’s her dog out of control. The exact same thing happened to us with Peggy. We saw a couple with two terriers off lead and one charged at Peggy and threw her in the air after they said it just barks and wouldn’t hurt her. We had put her on lead as the couple looked nervous but they made no attempt to put theirs on.

Hate it when others can’t control their grumpy dogs, it’s so inconsiderate and makes it harder for responsible owners with reactive dogs.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You didn't do anything wrong. For future reference though, I don't let any dog I don't know get in my dog's face. He is an old man now and well seasoned in the routine. He gets behind me, I shoo the dog away. I'm not always nice about it either ;)

Rott lover, LinznMilly, Sairy and 7 others like this.
  6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

You did nothing wrong, as I get older I have decided that many other people are arseholes and that nothing will ever change them, the woman you met today is just a prime example.

7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I wouldn't have been as polite as that . :D

8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear this .
    Been there, done that a load of times . :mad:
    This woman is in the wrong and shes too stupid to know it .

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

There are some stupid people about who will not take responsibity for their dogs and then blame everyone else if it goes pear shaped.
    Next time try and get your dog behind you to protect her and shout at the approaching dog to go away which at least will alert the owner. If they say their dog is fine then tell them some big lie that yours is elderly/in recovery from an op/scared of other dogs/anything to make them go away without a fuss from the owners part.

I’ve had a similar thing when we were walking on a beach with the two goldens we had some years ago. The beach was busy with families and picnickers and knowing what my dogs were like over picnic food plus that Tora would be over to the sand dunes which were near a road, we kept them safely on the lead. Coming towards us was a lady running with her two off lead dogs. We bought our dogs in close beside us they approached but as they went past the dogs went for my goldens and there was a brief scuffle. Apparently it was our fault for having our dogs on a lead, no apologies were given from her.

Chatcat and Peggypegs like this.
  10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

What's really annoying me at the minute is when i see someone coming with their dogs on lead, i find it easier to sit mine in at the side of the path.(rather than put leads on them)

And twice in the past week (different dogs, different owners)owners have just let their dogs wander up to mine on their (flexi) leads. Grrrrrr!!

That is SO unfair!! It makes it hard for Tilly to hold position with a dog approaching right up to her like that. And then she gets excited.

And murphy - i usually hold his collar to keep him back and he can be grumpy if he is restrained and other dogs are in his face.

Chatcat and Sairy like this.
  11. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I honestly don't know what goes on in some people's head when it comes to their dogs interacting with strange dogs. We rarely meet other dogs when we're out but at the vet it's almost inevitable we see a few. Now I would have thought the last place you want your dog to mix with other dogs is in a vet's waiting room, where I always assume they're there because they are sick!

I was annoyed a few weeks ago when Georgina and I were in the vet's waiting room. Georgina was suffering badly from a skin allergy and her buttocks, tail and legs were really sore. As we'd been waiting quite a time, she was also becoming anxious so she was standing facing me, looking at me for reassurance.

A middle aged couple came into the waiting room, the woman with an extremely obese Basset Hound, and the man with a young bouncy Lurcher, both on long leads. They were so busy talking that they took no notice of the fact that the BH had walked up to, and was sniffing Georgina's bum, which normally she would have ignored but because she was so sore she reacted by growling at him.

They were still talking when the Lurcher came over and started bouncing around Georgina's backside by which time my poor girl had really had enough and she let out a long loud growl to let them know which made the owners stop talking. I got lots of glares and mutter, mutter, mutterings, but at least after that they kept their dogs away!

Chatcat likes this.
  12. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone - so reassuring to know that I could not have done anything different. It is always useful to share these things!

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Agree with all - the woman was a numpty! :mad:

I would have shouted out “call your dogs please” though, in the hope she might have woken up and done so. No guarantees that she could/would but it does work sometimes.

14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Control the controllable. You did all you can, nothing else you could have done in the situation so don't beat yourself up about it, no harm done. People will never react well in that kind of situation so chalk it up to experience and rant on here to people who understand your frustration!

15. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Yep, a big **** off from me as well. Some people are just oblivious.

16. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

A lot of people seem to see the best form of defence is offence. I suspect they known they are at fault but cover over it by passing the blame on to someone else in the hope that thetheir victim will be so busy defending themselves that they won't notice the real stupid person is the one being aggressive and rude. It seems to be a good tactic from the number of people posting on pet forums questioning whether they were in fact in the wrong when some rude person blames them.

You were not in the wrong OP but you were the victim of someone passing blame to cover their own shortcomings.

17. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I tend to think of these situations as more about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Many owners walk on in blissful ignorance of where their dogs are or who their dogs are approaching. And some have positively no idea that the interaction could be termed rude. And then Kittih above has said they cover their embarassment by putting the blame on the other dog/owner. The number of dogs I meet who have rubbish recall is amazing.

Re the situation, I think it's more about spotting a situation and taking steps as soon as you can. If mine are on the lead or I don't wish interaction I will usually call out before the dog has got close enough to 'be in my dogs faces' - usually something like 'can you call your dogs away please'. I occasionally will offer a reason (usually that my dogs are on the lead) but generally I'm informing them I don't wish to have their dogs irritate mine (or me). My dogs are then placed close to/behind me (and I stop) so any approaching dog gets to meet me first. I don't look as friendly as my dogs and so often this is enough to stop the approaching dog in it's tracks (and owners often feel a little more obliged to up their recall). I can be vocal towards the dog if needs be. I don't tend to exchange insults with such owners (I'm right, they're wrong it's simple :D) although I will correct them if they make some pointless comment about allowing interaction or being on the lead.

J

DaisyBluebell, Sarah H, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Yes, we get this sometimes as well. Like I've left the path and got my dog to sit and wait so you can go past. Is it not obvious that I don't want the interaction? Very annoying.

Burrowzig, Chatcat and Lurcherlad like this.
  19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I find carrying a stout stick (and waving it in the direction of the approaching dog) often galvanises the numpty owners! :D

20. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Thanks one and all. Yes, I like the idea of a big stick, I'll do that. Also, I do think I need to be a bit more proactive, and not just wait for them to look round at their dogs. Some people seem to go for ages before looking round! Personally, I can't take my eyes of Clo - a) she's beautiful, and b) she might eat sheep shit!. Bit of a wake up call for me too - it is okay to speak to other dog owners if I don't like the way a situation is going, not just stand there and wait for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice