UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of our new puppy, 16 week old Archie. We have had him almost a week now.

He was advertised as a jack russell and when we went to see him the woman said she was selling him on behalf of her friend who was going through a divorce?!

I asked her what was he crossed with (as you can see he is not 100% jack russell) and she said 'he isnt crossed with anything he is pure jack russell!!)

I've had several jack russells in my life but have never come across one which looks like Archie. I may be wrong but I am sure he must be crossed with something. Me guess is either a border terrier or yorkshire terrier because of his colouring. He does have a small white patch on his chest which I have read is common on border terriers. Whatever he is he is a lovely little dog with bags of character and we love him already (even though he's using the house as a toilet at the mo!!!)

What breed do you think he could be crossed with?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
He looks very much like my friends dog who is JR crossed with either a Norfolk or a Norwich
That ^^ has been the general consensus with Ginge who looks very similar but paler and liver skinned (but we think she could just as easily be yorkie as she has quite soft fur and a grey/silver/brown saddle). I just say she is a terrier, they are all cross breeds anyway, Archie doesn't look like what I think of as a jack but with cross breeding who knows what can come out.

He does look more bordery to me with darker points and stiffer wire hair but the welshy looks very similar.

Whatever he looks very cute, I may be biased though :p

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Possibly a Yorkie JRT cross going by the length of the coat and texture, I should imagine more will be revealed as he grows though and developes his adult coat.

Really cute adorable little guy though, so I wouldnt be worried too much he is adorable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night we took him to the vets for his vaccination.

The vet thinks he is a JRT x Border she also said looking at his teeth he isnt 16 weeks as the seller told us but at least 20+ weeks. She also said that she wouldnt be suprised if he was a puppy farm dog brought over from Ireland. She said she has witnessed large vans full of different breeds of puppies all clambering over each other-makes me want to weep:mad:. Luckily she said Archie looked full of beans and she was very happy with his health check-phew!!

I'm not too suprise for some reason I thought he might be a bit older.

Will it be harder to house train and obedience train him as he is an older puppy?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Last night we took him to the vets for his vaccination.

The vet thinks he is a JRT x Border she also said looking at his teeth he isnt 16 weeks as the seller told us but at least 20+ weeks. She also said that she wouldnt be suprised if he was a puppy farm dog brought over from Ireland. She said she has witnessed large vans full of different breeds of puppies all clambering over each other-makes me want to weep:mad:. Luckily she said Archie looked full of beans and she was very happy with his health check-phew!!

I'm not too suprise for some reason I thought he might be a bit older.

Will it be harder to house train and obedience train him as he is an older puppy?
As soon as someone has an excuse or story, I immediately think puppy farmer and people should walk away. Giving money to these people only encourages the further breeding and selling of these puppies :( But anyway, lesson learnt for next time hopefully? He is very cute, I thought border terrier too.

Re the house training, its not more difficult to train an older puppy, his brain is still a little sponge at this age and as he's bigger he can hold it for longer. I personally dont bother with paper or pads or anything, I just take them out every 20 minutes or so, then the rest of the time watch them with a hawk eye and run them outside if they look like they need to go!

All the best for you and your pup.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
I wonder if dogs ever look in a mirror and think:-

"Mum, whose my dad?"

yet cats dont seem to have issues, a cat is a cat, even ours looks like a cat

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here are some pics of our new puppy, 16 week old Archie. We have had him almost a week now.

He was advertised as a jack russell and when we went to see him the woman said she was selling him on behalf of her friend who was going through a divorce?!

I asked her what was he crossed with (as you can see he is not 100% jack russell) and she said 'he isnt crossed with anything he is pure jack russell!!)

I've had several jack russells in my life but have never come across one which looks like Archie. I may be wrong but I am sure he must be crossed with something. Me guess is either a border terrier or yorkshire terrier because of his colouring. He does have a small white patch on his chest which I have read is common on border terriers. Whatever he is he is a lovely little dog with bags of character and we love him already (even though he's using the house as a toilet at the mo!!!)

What breed do you think he could be crossed with?
Did the lady you got him from have a white stick and a yellow dog:D He's very cute tho:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.