Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What couldn't you live without?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by puppymadness, Apr 13, 2019.

1. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Member

So today we are starting to get things ready for our new puppy luna. We don't get her until May 26th but I work a lot of weekends and we are going on holiday before that so decided today to start shopping. Its been almost 11 years since we had a puppy so what things do I need? Any must haves apart from the obvious.

Thanks
    Sophie x

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Do you have Kongs on your list?

Picklelily and Sairy like this.
  3. puppymadness

Good idea thank you :)

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ooo good question.

Apart from the obvious things, a Flexi lead for toilet trips, especially at night. Gives the puppy space do to its business but means you don’t end up chasing it around the garden at midnight! I still take one of my dogs out on a Flexi at night and she’s 8!

DaisyBluebell and Boxer123 like this.
  5. puppymadness

Thank you added to the list :)

6. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

A crate!
    A permanently set up bucket and squeegy mop in the room where pup will spend its time, with ready-diluted animal-safe disinfectant, and a lot of paper kitchen roll!

puppymadness, Boxer123, Sairy and 2 others like this.
  7. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Towels. Towels. More towels. But then our puppy was a water and mud loving springer who could get wet and filthy just by stepping outside.

Chew toys, antlers, kongs. All great for helping to settle down an over-tired puppy.

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

The one thing I’ve found a constant blessing in Heidi’s 10 years is her dri-bag.
    Fantastic to zip in a muddy wet dog before getting into the car. By the time I get home, she’s dry and all the mud is in the bag. A quick shake and job done(for both).
    Likewise after a muddy walk. Zip her in while I sort myself. Pop her on her bed with a couple of treats and a drink. Enjoy a coffee while she dries.
    Doesn’t need washing every time and no wet doggie smells.

puppymadness and DaisyBluebell like this.
  9. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

You'll need an unlimited supply of kitchen roll for sure haha. Kongs, chews and boredom breakers are also a must have, as other have said. And a bunch of different toys - squeaky toys, balls, tug ropes, soft cuddly toys like teddy bears etc. will also keep them occupied, but beware - most of them will be destroyed ;) Lot's of spare blankets and beds because they tend to soil or shred their beds and blankets, we've gone through so many since we brought Jess home. Puppy Pen or X Pen is really helpful, you can put the crate in it with the doors open, have a blanket or bed in the crate so he/she can rest and scatter toys, boredom breakers, a kong, and a chew or two to keep them busy, and their bowls can also be kept in the pen. That way they have their own little space, and you can close the pen door if you need to leave the room for a minute or when they're busy playing or resting.

puppymadness likes this.
  10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Long line for training
    A pair of shoes next to the back door that can slip in in seconds (wellies are good)
    Lots of old towels
    Kongs
    Crate and x pen
    Water bowl that won't be knocked over
    Thick clothing that you won't be upset about pup damaging with its razor teeth
    Cleaning stuff all over the place, including in your car (it's likely that pup will be sick in there from time to time)

And a whole lot of patience!

11. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Food dispensing toys such as the Dog Pyramid or Activity ball, also food puzzle toys.

puppymadness and Picklelily like this.
  12. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Kong
    Crate
    Long line
    Clik' treat bag- purple for me
    Clicker
    Indi dog police lead or halti long lead
    Toys
    Mop and dilute biological washing powder in a spray bottle for accidents
    Lavender oil for your stress on your pulse points
    Cute bandana
    Poo bags
    Shampoo
    Comb
    Warm dressing gown and pj's for 3am toileting

puppymadness and Boxer123 like this.
  13. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Oh my 3 luxury I love them items
    Dry dog bag
    Ruff and tumble dog coat
    Nina ottosson dog brick or the tornado.

Mum2Heidi and puppymadness like this.
  14. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Plasters for your hands arms legs feet and any where else you may need them !

bogdog and puppymadness like this.
  15. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Member

Bitter Apple chew deterrent.

bogdog and puppymadness like this.
  16. puppymadness

Wow guys thank you so much for your responses. :)

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  17. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I always make sure I have a tube of Protexin Prokolin in the cupboard as puppies nearly always get upset tummies. It's what the vet would prescribe anyway.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  18. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Baby wet wipes, fragrance free, ideal for mucky paws, etc.. I have bought a dog loo in the past, I wouldn't recommend them at all. Following the instructions to the letter the bio-degradable solution does work efficiently enough. No matter how much water you pour in, there is always a sludge at the bottom, it doesn't smell but its disgusting. I prefer to either have an area in the garden where I can dig a deep hole to put the dog poo in, or use poo bags, double bag and put in the bin.

Food I would use the same food as the breeder to start with, if all goes well no point changing the food. If you need to change the food do it gradually to avoid tummy upsets/squirty poos.

I buy different textured, usually Kong ones, they tend to last longer than most.

Training treats are a must, whether it is cut up pieces of cheese or commercial puppy treats.

I would start looking for a dog training club in your area, it might be that your local vet will offer puppy parties. Whilst most dog owners can train a puppy to sit, lay, wait, stay, walk to heel etc., we cannot teach interaction and social skills, not only with other dogs but with people.

Be careful if you decide to buy a flexi lead, make sure the handle is big enough for your hand to grasp it comfortably. Some of the puppy flexi leads have small handles and I found it pressed against my knuckle catching a nerve. I had to buy another flexi lead with a larger handle. I have used flexi leads for approximately 20 years, obviously never bought one specifically for a puppy before. Usually I buy them according to the weight of the dog.

Gosh I feel excited for you, our little girl will be 2 years old by the time you get your little one.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

For garden poos, you could buy a small shovel (two in fact, one to push the poo on to the other) and flush.

sskmick likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice