Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what could the colour of lillys kittens be?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by _soph_, Aug 16, 2009.

1. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Since joining "pet forums" the most interesting threads that I like to read are the "Colour of kittens" ones (apart from obviously the new kittens threads!!!):D

So.....I want to play!!

Lilly (see pic below) is a grey which looks like silver when the light catches it and the dad is a dark black tabby with white legs and chest (I think)!!

So what colour do you think?

Attached Files:

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

There has to be one that looks like mum and then one like dad and then if you mix them together you will have a stunning colour kittie.

What do you think

xx

3. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

I would absolutely love one like Lilly - She is so beautiful - Sometimes I just stand at watch her asleep in the garden!! I don't know what the chances of that are though because none of Syds babies look like her!!!!:D

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Ive got a cat called Misty whose grey and white, her 2 kittens where black and white. Heres a pic of Misty. Lily is absolutely stunning, would be lovely to get one the same colour as her.

Attached Files:

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

Kitten Color Predictor Genetics Chart its not 100% but pick the closest colours to sire and queen and will show you the possible colours

it got the colours right for the last 2 litters that have been here as i knew the colour of the dad

6. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Misty is beautiful kitties!! Another good looking cat :D

I have no idea what colour the kittens will be. I think Lillys dad was the grey and the mum was black. In her litter there were two greys (one being lilly), one grey and white and two blacks!

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

kittens could be any colour..I fostered a pure Tabby and she had 3 black boys 3 weeks ago...even i was amazed that not one had 1 bit of Tabby on :D

8. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

lol sorry i meant i knew the dad of the unborn kittens. the link is designed for BSH but generally works for most cats

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That's the same colour as the little Blue & White boy in Cuba's litter :D

10. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

oh right ok lol...;)

11. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Thanks Ellie - I love that - A new toy to play with!! :D

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Lily is the colour called Blue - it's genetically a dilute black. It's recessive, meaning that both parents have to carry blue, or be blue themselves, to produce one. If Tabby Daddy carries Blue, you have a 50/50 chance of producing a Blue.

Lily is also a solid colour (as opposed to Tabby), which is also recessive. If Tabby Dad doesn't have a gene for solid [aka Self], all the kittens will be Tabby. If he does, then expect roughly 50% Tabby and 50% Solid. The Tabbies will be normal "Brown" tabbies unless Dad carries blue, in shich case you have a chance of a Blue Tabby. Likewise, the Solids will be blacks, unless Dad carries blue.

The only other two factors to consider are the white bits on Dad, and whether both parents carry Longhair. White bits will carry through to some of the kittens, approx. 50% but some may have so little white it could be just a toe or a chest spot.

If both Mum & Dad carry a gene for Longhair, then approx 50% of the kittens will be fluffy.

Added, as always: The Sweeties In The Bag Effect... you may have a bag which contains 5 red, 5 green and 5 yellow sweets. But pulling 5 randomly you might get all red, no green or three green and one yellow! Same with gene reassortment, you never know what will come out of the bag even though you know what's in there.

13. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Wow Merlins mum - You certainly know your stuff!!! :D

I believe the dad is the same Tom as Syds. In Syds litter she produced 3 tabbies and a solid black kitten. Just to clarify, would this imply that the dad does carry the solid gene?:rolleyes:

14. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

yeah it would :)

15. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

I just thought my neighbour has a cat like yours. and she got kittens 2 months ago, im guessing from the same father as Amber has mostly white with black, and she had 4 grey kittens. (sorry blue lol!)

16. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Well fingers crossed x But of course ill be happy with whatever I get as long as all goes well!!

I wish she'd hurry up and have them now !!!:D

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Why thank you :D *bows graciously* I started studying coat colour genetics when I was 14 and was showing & breeding rabbits, and that's errr.... a lot of years ago lol. It helped when I went into rats, and later on when I bred pedigree cats. I have practical knowledge of colour genetics in hamsters, mice and guinea pigs too. I find it fascinating and I'm always happy to try and pass on anything I know. So I hope it's helped :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice