Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What could cause something like this?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Angelic1, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Hi - firstly appologies for the long post! :blushing:
    I was over the moon some weeks back when I thought my search for another BSH kitten was over....I had found what I had been looking for..a gorgeous lilac colourpoint with the sweetest face and blue eyes.

I felt she looked a bit small for her age but I didn't mind that as I thought I could soon feed her up a bit and I hadn't intended to breed from her as she was to be a companion to my other BSH Dolly first and foremost. I left a deposit for her and told my friends and family my good news. :)
    So I started to buy in extra litter, kitten food, toys....like you do...all excited about bringing her home then I get a phone call the weekend just gone from the breeder.

I cannot have my little girl as she so sadly had to be put to sleep. Along with two other litter mates. I was devastated. :eek: :(
    Three out of the litter of four had very severe heart murmurs with no heart beat at all...just a whooshing noise and were not taking in nutrients and therefore not growing as they should. They had no immune system as such.

It became apparent to the breeder that something was very wrong when the healthy boy was so big in comparison to the others...coupled with her 12 years experience of breeding these beautiful cats.

Three out of four is very bad odds though....and I have been wandering what could be the cause of such a defect in so many of the litter. The breeder did say after the event that she felt maybe her queen was a bit old and she had perhaps let her have one litter too many. Could this be the case?

I'm at a loss and trying to understand and make some sense of it all. :confused:

Does anyone know what could cause something like this?

Ive just had a windows calender reminder come through that she would have been 10 weeks today...so I would have been bringing her home in 3 weeks. :(:(

#1 Angelic1, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Sorry about this, it's awful. :(

It sounds genetic and it could have been passed from the Queen and\or the stud.

3. Angelic1

Thanks for reply...i thought maybe genetic too. :)

However the breeder says she has never come accross this problem before in her 12 years of breeding and this was a repeat mating with mum and dad that had worked well before.
    That said in all honesty I wasn't totally happy and at ease with a few things regards to the breeder...especially considering the price. But once I saw the kitten I was smitten and couldn't walk away..despite my better judgement and being advised to...it was one of those weak moments. But I certainly didn't expect a shock like this. Poor little things! :(

4. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy losing a little one. Thinking of you.

5. Angelic1

Thanks Serena....I know I hadn't yet brought her home and had time to get too attached but it's such a sad situation for those poor little kittens and my hopes, excitement and growing love have all be dashed. I'm just glad my cat Dolly hasn't had to experience the loss too...as I'm sure cats feel loss too when they lose a playmate.

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I would have said it is genetic as well. If its caused by a recessive gene then you would expect 1 in 4 kittens to be affected. That said Mother Nature doesn't listen to probability. Either that or whatever the rogue gene is it may cause a range of heart issues. The previous matings may not have produced kittens that displayed the problem from an early age, but could have hit them later on when they were years old in their new homes. Chances are if they were 2yrs + then the new owners would not have gone back to her to let her know.

I think its very very upsetting for all concerned including the breeder, losing that number of a litter can not have been easy. Another good reason not to have prospective new owners round to see the kittens at a too early an age and especially not if something is ringing alarm bells.

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

thats very sad, i understand how upset you must be feeling,:(

8. Angelic1

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this Saikou...I think you're right. Three out of four is a lot to lose in a litter and does seem to point to a genetic defect....such a shame! I hadn't even thought about the possibility of it showing up later on in the cats life...just assumed something like this would be picked up on when they had their first vaccination. :)

Thanks colliemerles...it is upsetting but would have felt even worse had I actually brought her home. I'm just relieved they are no longer suffering. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice