Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What could be wrong with my friends cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Apparently a few days ago their cat started limping and seemed off colour. They were keeping on eye on her but after I heard I told them to get to a vet straight away as whatever occurred she would have been in pain if she was limping.
    (Quite possibly they delayed as they don't have insurance!)

Anyway, they took her yesterday, where she had blood tests, and was kept overnight on an IV drip of AntiBs and painkillers. This morning her fever is down but she falls over whenever she looks to the right. They are doing an xray and ultra sound today.

Could she have had a stroke? I was a bit concerned as the sudden onset sounded like she may have ingested a toxin. Does this seem likely? Are there any other tests the vet should be doing?

Poor kitty, I do hope she gets better as my friend is really upset.

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Poor cat, hope all will be well.
    Does sound like a stroke to me. xx

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How old is the cat Lumboo? Was the limping on the right side as well?

It might be a stroke ( though unlikely in a young cat) but with the fever I'm also wondering about a middle ear infection, particularly in a cat with a history of ear infections. Sounds as if vets suspect/ are ruling out something neurological though. Toxin ingestion sould show up on the initial blood screening.

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Sounds like an ear infection (which will throw them off balance) or an infection of the neurological system.

It could be a stroke, but the fever suggests otherwise.

5. Deb1

Deb1 PetForums Member

Our Alfie was very ill over Christmas/New Year - he didn't eat, hardly got off the bed, and lost a lot of weight (1 kg - fortunately he was nearly 7kg at the time). He also started to limp - first of all as though he'd hurt his front paw, and later he was completely wobbly front and back and could hardly walk at all without toppling over. Bloods showed some abnormalities, the vet feard FIP, and we expected the worst. However, after anti-biotics and steroid injections, he started to improve and a couple of months since he finished the steroids he is as good as new. My OH bumped into our old vet, and she said it probably wasn't FIP, but it could have been toxoplasmosis. He didn't have all the symptoms, but what he did have is on the list. It's so hard to tell, when they can't explain exactly in what way they're feeling lousy, but your friend's cat could have an infection like Alfie's - it was the limping and then complete wobbliness that completely threw us.

6. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

I have read that calcivirus can sometimes cause cats to limp, with you saying he has a fever I wondered if he could have picked up this virus.

Maybe he has been hit by a car if he is limping and feeling unwell, you would be able to tell if it is a car accident if his claws are frayed.

Not sure what else to think but I hope he feels better soon.

7. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. I am waiting to hear back from my friend.

The cat is about 6 years old, and she is an indoor cat. Not sure if she was ever vaccinated but I don't think she is as she doesn't have boosters etc.

The fever had gone this morning and my friend said she recognised him when he went to see her. I don't know which side the limp was, only that she was falling over when turning that way.

How long do X-ray results take...or is it longer on Sundays?

I will let you know as soon as hear anything. Thanks everyone

8. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Hoping its nothing serious x

9. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Update:

They decided not to go for an MRI as it would cost about £2k (no insurance!!), but basically the medication remains the same?! They were told if she doesn't improve then it is brain cancer and if she does then it was either an infection or a stroke.

I don't know how the medication/outcome for all three conditions can be the same, but they are so upset and stressed that I didn't want to question them further right now.

Gave my Furbies a huge cuddle and I am very grateful I took out insurance when they were 10 weeks old so I never have to deny tests due to money like they have had to. :(

10. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

They will probably have given him pain killers and antibiotics for possible secundary infections, and possibly a booster for his immune system. Both a stroke and a viral infection need to clear up by themselves, you can only relieve pain and prevent secundary bacterial infections.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice