Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What colour?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by OrientalSlave, Oct 7, 2013.

1. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Hi all

These Devon Rex kittens belong to a friend and she is wondering what colour they are. I have my own ideas but will keep them to myself for now to let you form your own opinions.

Spotty or Mackerel Tabby
    _K5P0531 (773x768).jpg

Classic Tabby
    _K5P0537 (676x552).jpg

Self
    _K5P0550 (800x509).jpg

Too cute to not post!
    _K5P0534 (716x535).jpg

2. Time flies

Time flies PetForums Member

Oooh, lovely babies. I don't have any experience so would be hard for me to tell really but I think the self looks chocolate and the top tabby looks lilac. ?

3. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

erm..

blue,lliac,black,a choc and a blue together :confused:

4. OrientalSlave

Kitten in the 3rd photo is on the left in the bottom one. She can't be both choc & black!

5. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

The little one labelled "self", could that be a black smoke? We had 2 cornish rex sisters with similar colouring and they were registered as black smokes.

6. Time flies

Is the kitten in the second photo the one with the self in the last photo?

7. Time flies

I think lilac, blue and chocolate :)

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I'd want to see the tailtips and pawpads, but I think they are silver tabbies and smokes. I'm not thinking dilute or even chocolate, I think the top one is brown silver tabby, but because of the lack of guard hairs the colours aren't coming in as on normal coats. I can see some dark hair on the top one's tail and the nose leather is very dark, plus a hint of the reddish brown on the nose (would be pale cream with a lighter nose leather on a Blue).

9. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

I'm in no position to comment on colour as I really don't know what I'm talking about but would say fawn (but don't know if they can be tabby :confused: so if not, blue?), lilac and chocolate.

I'm probably way off the mark but just wanted to say how gorgeous they are ! :001_tt1: I love Devons! Didn't at first but then I met some at a couple of shows and was totally smitten :001_wub:

10. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

i was thinking a smoke for the black one but just went for black,cant believe they are the same kitten lol.Come on then os spill.

11. Time flies

Or at least tell us what colour mum and dad are ...:)

12. OrientalSlave

Since Devons get the certificate even if they are wrongly registered I reckon the alleged colour of the parents might not be as helpful as it could be. it also looks like Siamese, Tonkinese and Burmese points are all registered the same..

13. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I don't know colours (except the primary ones), but these kittens are pure MAGIC!

14. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

is there 2 or 3 kittens as the one that looked almost black in one photo looks chocolatey in the last photo. The other one looks a blue ish :confused:

15. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Am going blue , blue and black smoke ...

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It will still help. One parent at least must have been smoke or silver to have produced a smoke. If Burmese point is in the mixture it gets more intriguing. I feel they are too dark to be Tonk or Colourpoint but Burmese is a possibility if it's in the lines.

17. OrientalSlave

OK, father is said to be lilac self, mother silver tabby. I'll find a photo of her if I have one as I think she looks vaguely pointed - the tabby markings are much stronger on her legs & face than her body. She doen't have blue eyes though, so clearly not Siamese points.

And this is what I think. the pale kittens are blue tabbies, but the self I think looks like a Burmese brown - I'm looking at how it's points are darker. I had a brown smoke Asian years ago and the smoke was bone white. To me, whatever the dark kitten is, it's not smoke unless it takes more than 6 weeks for it to show. It is a bit grey in the roots - unsound, not smoke to me.

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

This is the problem with Devons, because of the coat structure they don't show colours the same way as normal coated cats. Most colour is in the guard hairs, which Devons don't have many of!

As many black kittens can look browny in their baby coats, it's probably too soon to decide on that one. Also, google some photos of young Burmese kittens. Their colour is quite different from adult.

19. OrientalSlave

Thanks, interesting. So the dark one could well be a black.

Here is mum:
    _K5P0560 (800x709).jpg

She is registered as a silver tabby but as you can see the markings on her face & legs are strong but her body is remarkably lacking in them.

I looked at the dark kitten's nose leather and it was dark brown rather than black, but I forgot to check it's paw pads, and I don't have it's nose in any of the photos of it.

#19 OrientalSlave, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I think she is a normal Silver Tabby, no Tonk, Burmese or colourpoint involved. Mainly because she has dense black pigment, which in any of the above patterns changes to dark seal.

The lightness on her underside might be due to the coat, or she might be more of a shaded silver.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice