UK Pet Forums Forum banner

What colour kitchen tiles?

1K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  HappyMangle 
#1 ·
Can anyone advise me? :oops:
I've been looking at Pinterest and the Internet for weeks and I'm still no closer to choosing tiles for my new kitchen.

I had a local kitchen company round yesterday and settled on light off white/creamy smooth matte cupboard doors and good quality light walnut effect worktops (don't want real wood because I can't be doing with the upkeep) but I haven't got a clue what colour wall tiles to have. The kitchen man gave me the number of the tiling person he works with but I'd like to have some idea of what I want before I call him round.

I'd rather have something pretty neutral I think so I can change the colours of my small appliances or walls when I want. I don't know whether I want the tiles in one colour or a few colours. Does anyone have similar cupboards and worktop colours? What tiles did you choose? If you fancy adding some pictures to help me out it'd be really really helpful:)

#4 ·
We've got off white units, oak worktop and marble tiles.
Not everyones taste but I wanted everything neutral so I can change colours of furnishings etc rather than redecorate

First pick I've tried to show the 3 elements together
Second is of the tiles - being natural stone the colour and pattern varies a lot between tiles.
Brown Property Stairs Wood Flooring
Brown Grey Flooring Pattern Concrete

#7 ·
I do not have to live with it of course but with my designer's head on, I'd have something bright like teal or raspberry red. Maybe white, plain metro style tiles and you could test out bright colours on the wall?

I don't have tiles, we have matt varnished our walls and I got my glass supplier to cut me some rolled stained glass for the hob splash back which I have changed a few times.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm not keen on all white or all black tiles , i feel it needs to be broken up with a bit of colour, though I have white tiles above my kitchen sink .
White is boring and black depressing . sorry !

Lurcherlad , i have painted walls in my kitchen too, I dont have a proper fitted kitchen so dont feel the need for tiles.

I dont have an all tiled bathroom either , because it makes me feel cold :rolleyes: and I prefer wall paper or painted walls . An all tiled white wall bathroom makes me feel like I'm in hospital .

#21 ·
I'm not keen on all white or all black tiles , i feel it needs to be broken up with a bit of colour, though I have white tiles above my kitchen sink .
White is boring and black depressing . sorry !

Lurcherlad , i have painted walls in my kitchen too, I dont have a proper fitted kitchen so dont feel the need for tiles.

I dont have an all tiled bathroom either , because it makes me feel cold :rolleyes: and I prefer wall paper or painted walls . An all tiled white wall bathroom makes me feel like I'm in hospital .
I only put tiles where they are needed ;)

I don't like fully tiled bathrooms either. I like to be able to change the colour on the walls.

And, TBH they are so expensive. A tin of paint is so much cheaper! ;)

#27 ·
I must say sometimes I regret it having those colourful tiles I chose initially. But OH wants plain.
Plus Garfield looks so nice against those.
Yes, my sofas and all floors match Garfield and Scrip. Even the new tables and chairs...
So what colour are your dogs? View attachment 276460 View attachment 276461
Black & Tan and Tri colour :D

not sure if anyone has asked thiss, but is your kitchen modern or more traditional
Attached a pic of doors but they will be light cream instead of white, worktops light walnut. I will be buying all new small appliances but I'm not sure what colour until I choose the colour of the tiles. :oops: large electricals are new but not integrated and they are stainless steel, cooker has a black induction hob with black edging on the door glass.

Mine are white, with petrol coloured mosaic splash back/ window sill............ not exactly neutral tho......

pic is clearly not a kitchen but the tiles are the same :)
View attachment 276480
This looks lovely! When you say the white tiles with petrol splashback do you mean you just have the petrol bit behind the cooker and white everywhere else?

Attachments

#23 ·
In a similar situation to you! I am about to have a new kitchen installed. (Grey cupboards & black worktop) and I can't decide on a good colour for the flooring or tiles!
My advice for floors is, whatever you do, do not go with black glossy tiles.

Beautiful as they may look in the showroom, and reflect my lovely flame red wall tiles, the bl**dy things show EVERY speck of dirt, hair, grease, water etc.

I speak from experience. It costs me a fortune in heads for the steam mop.

#25 ·
Oh yeah, with two dogs, it would be a futile effort for glossy shiny floor tiles! They also tend to show scratches more.

In my previous house I have a tiled flooring in the kitchen but they were a browny type colour. The tiles were porcelain so its likely I will go for them again but a different colour as they stood up well against the elements.

#28 ·
Don't get me started on the floor, I'm not picking that yet. :D currently have creamy coloured tiles and every time you open the kitchen door the slight breeze it creates blows a tumbleweed black hair ball about no matter how many times a day I sweep/hover. I don't know where it all comes from, it's like the dogs breathe hair. A darker floor wouldn't make much difference either has one of my dogs is tri so you'd see tumbleweed white hairs then which are currently disguised more by the cream floor.

#30 ·
Just been through the same dilema. Off white cupboards and flooring, dark wood effect worktops.
I use wallboards instead of tiles. (Prefer flat surface and no grout.)
Mine are off white with grey flecks. When the sun shines/lights are on the flecks catch the light and sparkle. Similar effect to Lexiedhb.

#31 ·
Not neutral, but I agree with @MollySmith with having a bright colour, maybe white tiles with the occasional bright coloured tile? You could always have white appliances.

#34 ·
I will be going through this process soon, interesting reading replies.

The only sure thing is I'd like the wood effect worktops, everything else is a decision to make later I can't fathom out what to choose so keep putting it off.

We will be knocking down my DR wall to create a bigger kitchen so new floors throughout plus hubby reckons we should change all the floors downstairs while we have chance :eek: causing more headaches over having to decide.

Its alright for him he's not living there while work goes on :penguin

My other choice is to move to a bigger house but I really don't know what to do.

#35 ·
I am in the same sort of position! Our kitchen is tiny and knackered so we've been putting off what to do about for several years!

We have three options I think - refit what we have, or reshape the current floorplan or extend a tiny bit to get in a downstairs loo.

Trying to find a builder has been stupid. One didn't turn up, then he did, promised drawings and we never heard from him again - that was early June. We had an architect around in March, agreed to go ahead with drawings and we've yet to even get the house measured. A builder arrived last week, said he'd pop a quote in the post this week. Nobody else has bothered to reply to me.

So since making concerted efforts since March, I still have no idea how much money it'll all cost! The problem is that builders and architects in Cambridge are stupidly busy because nobody can afford to move or they're working on current builds. So we're small fry I guess.

I'm also worried about the upheaval and what to do with Molly. But I don't want to move. We can't afford it, the house is lovely otherwise and our neighbours are nice and the road is pretty. So god knows!!

#40 ·
Hi guys!

I'm facing a dilemma and could really use some advice. I've been considering upgrading my kitchen, but I'm torn between doing a remodel or buying a new home with a modern kitchen already in place.
Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!