Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what colour is Ruby

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ellie8024, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

At first i thought she was lilac but she has blue ears and front legs. have attached a pic as you can finally see what i mean about the unusual colour.. the blue is the base of her fur and the creamy chocolate colour is the tip of her fur. could this have something to do with the fact her mum is a blue/cream tortie? the solid blue is now turning this colour too but again has solid blue ears and legs

Attached Files:

2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

What breed is she?

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

her mum is a maine coon and daddy is a chocolate moggy

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

What colour is Mum, and do you know anything about mum & daddy's background?

From the photo I think she may be Blue... but could be wrong lol. My reasoning is that the base of the fur seems to be a blue shade. Both Blue and Lilac cats do tend to get a fawny/browny tint if they have been in the sun, the light can 'bleach' the fur somewhat. Also, when cats are moulting, the old dead hair loses its colour and looks a lot lighter. You might find that her next coat is more representative of her true colour.

There's another factor in here too: whether short- or long-haired, each hair will have the same amount of pigment granules. Longhaired animals very often look a lot lighter because the same number of granules are spread along a longer hair.

There's also a modifying gene that affects blue and lilac cats in some breeds, known as Caramel. While it rarely produces a colour which we would recognise as being like caramel toffee, it can change the appearance of blue and lilac quite remarkably.

Would love to see a few more pics to help you decide :)

#4 MerlinsMum, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

dont know anything about the dad but the mum is my blue tortie graycie. the lil one is only just 4 weeks old and is definately long haired i do have a little kitten who is actually rubys older sister but is slightly small for her age but not too much that there is any concern (ruby is just a big girl)
    pic 1 is maxine (the lil blue) daniel the silver tabby (15 week old adopted son of graycie) and graycie the mummy
    Pic 2 is Graycie not looking too impressed
    Pic 3 is maxine and ruby at about 2 weeks
    pic 4 is Max and ruby at almost 3 weeks and of course danny

Attached Files:

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Ah that helps :) I do think Blue... lilac is a lot paler especially when they are young. As I said, blues often get fawny/browny tints.... just as black kittens can sometimes look chocolate when young, so can blues look lilac-y. Hope this helps :)

7. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

yeah thanks just the 1st time i have seen a blue that colour

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

gorgeous lookin kits, but mum doesnt look like a maine coon? She looks chocolatly reddy to me lol! :D

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

she is definately a coonie :D but she still has her summer coat which is shorter. she does have a lot of cream through her but in normal light she has a dark blue forehead and nose. will post more pics of her once her winter coat is in (also when i got her which is really not all that long ago, she lost a lot of fur due to skin irritations which have thankfully now gone) and thanks i feel so sorry for daniel the kitten though as he is in a house full of females (inc ruby and maxie there are 5 female cats 2 little girls and me)

#9 ellie8024, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

I don't know what colour she is, but she's gorgeous!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice