Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What choices do we have?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Inca's Mum, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Okay, so I (well, my family) am already on a waiting list with the Guide Dogs for just about 5 months, but to widen our chances of getting a well-trained dog we are thinking about Police dogs or something of that sort, we have already tried with the Hearing Dogs but they're too far away for us (down in Buckinghamshire) and are any of you aware of any reputable places like Guide Dogs etc that have a rehoming scheme?
    All help appreciated xx

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is there a particular reason the dog needs to come ready trained?

If you arent experienced, id be cautious on taking on a police force reject.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I agree with Nonnie I would be catious of a police dog reject.
    Why are you specifically looking for a well trained dog? It will still require training when it lives with you too.

x

4. animallover111

Did you decide against the lab that was free to good home?.......
    What important to remember is no matter what age you get a dog he/she will always need training..........our 8yr old often needs a recap on training.......

5. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

No, we haven't had any phone calls back off the owner in the past week, so even though still waiting for more information really, we're looking at our other options more now.
    I do understand that it will still need training, but it would just make it easier for us as my mum works full time and with me being one of three teenagers in the house we go to school during the week and my grandma will be caring for the dog during 12-4 on weekdays, meaning it will need to be a little less 'bonkers' and a little more trained.
    Is it really just a matter of waiting. I am probably starting to seem like an unpatient little brat but it's really bugging me not being able to have a dog or given the chance to own one :cursing:

6. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Quick bump, just to let you know we're in Northumberland if that helps with anything.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

TBh, you sound very sensible.

Have you thought about lab rescue? Not all rescue dogs have "issues" and breed specific rescues tend to foster their dogs out, so its known what they are like in a home environment. They also work on their training, as it makes them easier to home. Someone down my road took on a lovely lab, and hes very calm and steady.

I know that guide dogs have a HUGE waiting list.

8. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I don't know where the closest Lab Rescue is for me, because I couldn't actually find anything from Google when I searched 'Northeast Lab Rescue' which confused me a little.
    When we got onto the list back in February, they said there was only 5 for the Northeast area waiting but I'm just arghh!
    Hehe, trying and trying to find any leads on suitable dogs. Labradors and golden retrievers really are what we'd like as our family thinks suitable for our lifestyle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice