Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What can you do if you don’t get your stud fee or pick of litter

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bronnie, May 10, 2019.

1. Bronnie

Bronnie PetForums Newbie

Hello I put my boy up for stud first time fee of £180 or pick of litter I have it in writing pick of the litter as she didn’t have the fee upfront I said fee was to be paid on fist scan what counted 9pups she is selling for £600 a pup, pups r due now she has messaged me and said if pups don’t come before due date she needs a c section and wants to have her done as well and the fee of over night stay my girl wanted pup for her bday present that was all great untill she said she isn’t making any money for her self and is in debt and now she won’t give me a pup so I said waiting 8 weeks I was £300 for the long wait and the upset of my child heart break it’s not my fault or my dogs that her bitch isn’t well I have also spoken to my vet and been told the only time they will give c section is if a pup is stuck and the dog is struggling to pass this obiasly is not the case of this dog so she has given me all lies wouldn’t give me her address from the start all I git was I’m moving I’m moving then I had a msg saying they will pay £180 today no money received msgs have been blocked so I also text my account details for the money still not revived a penny as promised I am out of pocket and have a really heart broken child. And the stress has been unbearable to the point I don’t want to stud my dog but I have people waiting for their dogs to come in season already. I have said I will only take stud fee up front now as I been let down twice now and I didn’t want to stud my dog anyway but my vet told me to as he was good quality and to do cheap stud fee until I can get the money for hip score etc what I am doing as his mother and father had amazing scores he is a good lab!
    Any advice will be great thanks

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Unfortunately offering a dog out to stud isn't just about doing the deed. Without Health Tests on your own dog and a careful of vetting of potential bitches to ensure they are in full health (as well of course with relevant Health Tests) of good temperament and with owners who you know are going to bring up your studs offspring with good care (which clearly hasn't happened here) you do tend to attract people who are really just in it for the money and yup, things can go wrong.

You say you don't want to stud your dog but your Vet told you to ....well your Vet should actually have given you better advice than that. Personally I would leave the studding well alone. Do bare in mind that it can change the personality of your dog and can make him harder to handle around bitches when out on a walk. You may get your stud fee in the end but I don't think it's worth going to small claims court over.

J

3. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

It happened to me years ago. There is not much you can do, unless you take it to a small claims court. For me personally, it wasn't worth the hassle and had to accept I had been stung. If you do decide to use him at public stud, have him health tested and command your fee up front. Your Vet shouldn't be advising to use him as a cheap stud, he should be advising you to have him health tested first

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh it was a badly set up deal in the first place and she is clearly just out to make money from her bitch and the pups so I would put it down to experience, neuter your dog and move on.

Breeding from unproven, untested dogs is bad practise and smacks of “backyard breeding” imo.

Rescues are full - the World isn’t short of puppies.

5. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Member

Exactly that.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Bronnie

Bronnie PetForums Newbie

Thanks all
    I did book my boy in for health test hip score etc.
    I have decided with this problem not to go ahead with it and remove him from his stud duties
    Putting it down to a lesson learned
    As last reply said to many dogs in rescue.

7. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Member

Good for you, enjoy your doggo! :)

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice