Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What can my puppy chew?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Beau Diggedy, May 4, 2011.

1. Beau Diggedy

Beau Diggedy PetForums Junior

Or should that be, what is my puppy ALLOWED to chew???? :)

He is 7 weeks and has some soft, teddy, toys that he enjoys chomping on, but shows no interest in the kong or other rubber toys or squeaky ones! He has been a little poorly, so is still lacking some energy, but I feel bad that he has nothing that he likes to chew! (Apart from the kids toys)! Surely he NEEDS to chew?!
    I keep reading conflicting advice, rawhide chews or not? Rope toys or not? If he doesn't chew the kong, how can I tempt him to chew a nylabone?

I am worrying excessively, but when he does get his bounce back, I want to be equipped with fun, enjoyable, appropriate things for him to chew on.

Thanks in Advance,

2. the flintstones

the flintstones PetForums Member

My dogs dont like rubber toys, they prefer the sqeaky soft toys to rip up lol
    As for nylabone they wouldnt even look at it .
    It s just a case of hit and miss and some are more into chewing than others.
    When he is better take him to the pet shop and let him choose his own, mine love that trip out.
    Fiona

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I wouldn't think that at 7 weeks he would really be chewing much. My puppy chewed a lot between 5-7 months, but not really other than that.

At 8 weeks when I got my girl, she loved soft toys but wasn't interested in anything else, like your boy.

Kenzie will never chew her kong unless it's 'stuffed' with food. She doesn't like nylobones either, but your boy might. I don't give rawhide, and I wouldn't give it to a pup so young. Rope toys are fine and you can get a variety of rubber toys designed especially for puppies to chew.

To be honest, if he wants/needs to chew, you'll know about it because he'll chew on anything. If he's happy with his soft toys then just roll with that for the moment :)

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Puppy wont want to chew a plain kong
    You have to make it really easy at first then build up to like my dog who has frozen kongs
    Examples of things to start with, little bit of honey or peanut butter smeared himself. Cheap paste. Or primula squeezy cheese
    Good luck

also have a look at stag bars :001_smile:

5. Beau Diggedy

Thanks. I did think that I would stay clear of hide myself, certainly for now. I know I am over thinking, but I just don't want him to get bored! :) He does like to chew his teddies, but I guess I am interpretting his ending of games as boredom rather than seeing it for what it is.

6. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Most importantly just make sure you keep an eye on him when he is chewing anything. I found mine only wanted to chew on fingers at 8 weeks :rolleyes::

Welcome to PF, what puppy have you got? and we NEED pics :p

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You're not over-thinking, you're being a caring, responsible puppy owner - just the type we like here! :D

8. Beau Diggedy

Ahh, Babycham, I went straight to frozen!!! :nonod: Although he refused peanut butter from my finger.........
    He WANTS to chew, but it's my child's plastic toys that he wants, so I need to find THE best, most exciting thing, for him, to chew on instead! I'm sure we'll get there.

He is a lab x from a rescue, so we don't know what the father is but the litter look and act like labs, so perhaps the father was a lab x himself. Who knows! I think it was the typical "Oh no, my dog is pregnant, I don't want to deal with it all, I will give her to the pound" as by all accounts the mum, a choc lab, is a gorgeous, gentle soul. We didn't get to meet her unfortunately.

I will upload pics when I learn how!!

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

aawww congrats, he sounds lovely.
    My pointer quiet liked these keys Nylabone Puppy Teething Keys Large | eBay UK as i think they look like kids toys :lol:
    With uploading photo's you can do it direct from your computer by clicking on the paper clip symbol when your posting :)

10. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

If you look online Nylabone had loads of cool chews and Charlie loves them.

For puppys theres the hard bones, obviously, but theres also the puppy teething star thats got lots of texture to it, teething rings, rubber teethers and bones...
    Product Finder | My Dog Is | Puppy

Kong also make a lot of different toys - Charlie has a soft snake full of squeekers that he's always loved. I think theres more toys to these brands than people realise.

I've also followed the advice to put away my pups toys every night and get new ones out every day. Have enough toys to rotate them so they get a couple of different toys every day of the week. Seems to have kept Charlie interested. And they learn to play with whats out - i found if there are too many options it actually seemed to inhibit Charlie's playing and chewing. Thats just my experience though.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Have to agree with this - Kilo will just go from toy to toy picking it up then moving to the next as if there is simply too much to choose from. If there are only a few out, he will settle with one fairly quickly.

12. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

Basil loved soft toys initially too and has now moved on to almost anything (!!), although he is not keen on the rubber variety.

When he was tiny he was inseperable from his 'ragger' - have you tried one of those? They're kind of soft rope all twisted up together, I think Basil liked it because it was soft but also had a bit of texture to it.

:)

13. Beau Diggedy

Hi, Thanks everyone. Got lots of ideas now!
    Firstly, chicken flavoured nylabone was a success, for 5 minutes!!

I have heard of putting toys away and also having them on a rotation, I guess it really is a lot like having another baby, as I have to do this for my son or he goes mad with boredom, same goes for if he has too many things out at once.
    We're trying to get him used to sleeping on his own (dog, not son) so we do tend to leave a soft toy in his crate with him for company. Going by the barking/howling I don't think it is working!! :rolleyes::

Not heard of a 'ragger' but I have seen comforters that I thought could be good, so I will have a look around.

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

7 week old puppies don't chew ?? what ?? LMAO
    I've got 6 little 6 week old puppies here and they chew anything they can fit in their mouths, they even try with things that don't fit... branches, shoes, cables, feet, hands, adult dogs, each other, table and chair legs, the rug, you name it, they chew it :rolleyes:

15. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Better than nothing :)

16. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

I remember my pups having a margarine tub and empty plastic bottles to play with!!! (lid and plastic ring/label removed)
    I did manage to find a set of teething keys ment for a baby they had a play with too..........trouble i found alot of the puppy toys wont last at all with the bigger breeds so gave up getting them:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice