Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What can i do?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by teazatiger, Aug 3, 2009.

1. teazatiger

teazatiger PetForums Newbie

my eldest female rat lost her sister a few days ago and she seems really lost. all she does all day is sit in her hammock and she doesnt eat much anymore. i have just bought 2 babies and wondered if i could put them with her? and if so, how do i do it?

2. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

AW POOR RATTIE! I bet she is loving being in rattie heaven tho. :D

you can introduce babies at any stage.. the best way to do it is on neutral territory (playtime area/ bath/ any enclose space where noone can hide but on you is best where you can intevene easily).

It will go one of three ways:
    old rat will instantly think they're her babies and after a bit of fuss will probably act like nothing has changed or start cleaning them rather vigerously;
    there will be a bit of squabbling then lots of ignoring; or
    lots of squabbling which lasts for a few introductory play sessions where the baby rats will hide on you for a while, as older rat is being to bolshy for them.

if it's the first two great.. you can usually put them in the same (cleaned cage that day) if its the last one, give them lots of time together and give the babies at aruond 10 mins play with just you afterwards to let them have some fun without being harassed by old rat. Once old rat has accepted the babies she will more than likely ignore or start cleaning them lots.

Intro squabbling can look and sound quite nasty, but usually it's nothing to worry about, if there is a bad open/bleeding wound (not mere scratches) then old rat may not ever take to new rats and shouldn't be reintroduced to any other rat. However, this is very rare as rats are colony animals and should have a good ability to accept all smaller rats quickly.

If the rat that is left was already the alpha rat then 9 times out of 10 she will immediately think the babies are hers and treat them accordingly (lots of fussing and grooming).

good luck, i'm sure your newbies will cheer up oldie :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice