Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What can I do to get my two chin girls to get on?

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by teaspoon, Jul 6, 2009.

1. teaspoon

teaspoon PetForums Newbie

Hello,

last year in May my female chin lost her neutered male partner.

(He was my first chin and I introduced her to him, they got on within days and were great buddies ever after)

I didn't want the female to lead an existence on her own so decided to get a second chin again. A neutered male could not be found so I decided on a female. This was about a year ago and as yet they still don't get on.

Their cages are adjacent to each other and they mostly sleep right next to each other with mesh dividing them. However, if I let them out together they start fighting quite violently.
    I have let them out in the kitchen together and it works for a while. However once they get familiar with the different surroundings they start fighting again.

I have also rotated them around the two cages but found that this unsettled one of them so I stopped doing it.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

2. susie

susie PetForums Member

It might be worth going back a step and simply allow them to be next to one aother and use the same sand bath & sand to get them used to one anothers scent . Is it possible for you to let them have a playtime in a different room , that might be worth a try .

There is always the possibility that they decide to refuse to live together but hopefully things will calm down between them in the coming weeks/ months. I have found that sometimes just as you think its not going to happen they decide to accept one another :rolleyes:

3. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

In 16 years of breeding Ihave never come acorss 2 chins that will not pair up.
    Where abouts do you live?
    If you haven't managed to get them together in over a year I would seek advice or help from an experienced breeder to help you introduce the two of them.
    If you are any where near Kent I am more than happy to help as I do intros for people all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice