Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What camera do you use?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jackie99, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Okay I am jealous of all of these super, high quality pictures that keep being posted.
    I have decided I am going to try my hand at taking a camera out and about with me on my daily adventures with the pooch, there are so many great pictures I am missing out on! but I am a newbie to all this camera stuff, and I really do not know where to start looking. I know it will have to have a good zoom to capture my dog sometimes! Now that Spring is here it is the perfect time to start but I do not want to pay loads for one. What would suggest? High quality? Quite cheap an easy to use??

2. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I use a cannon powershot :) I got it in the argos sale :eek: can't quite remember how much it cost me but I love it, but hopefully soon im getting my first dslr :)

I would really recommend either a cybershot or a powershot, both are easy to use and have a good quality photo

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ive just got a Canon Ixus, its not technical which is just what I needed and it takes nice piccies, just a shame about its operator:eek:.

4. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

ive got a canon powershot sx200is , great little camera, good ammount of pixels and zoom for everyday use

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I just use my phone. OH recently bought me a Nokia N8 and the camera is fantastic :)

6. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I have that one :D

7. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Fuji 12 megapixel I use, with 8x optical zoom. Not sure half of what it does, never needed to try just yet! I take lots of different kinds of photos, wildlife, landscapes, local rock bands, and it's never let me down.

Get one with a reasonable optical zoom rather than digital zoom tho, that way when you zoom in your pictures won't be too grainy?

I'd say start out with a fairly high megapix digi, til you get the hang of it, and decide whether you enjoy doing it. Then splash out on an SLR later.

I'm currently saving for an SLR.........I've got about £1.30 in my tin........I should be able to get one by the time I turn 60!! :p :D I'm determined I'll get one....:)

8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Ooh I am going to be making a list of these and checking them out. I really do not want anything to fancy but my phone isn't doing the job any longer and I have been thinking about getting a camera for a while that I can get some real good shots of the dog with when out and about, could be the start of a new hobbie..

9. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Duno it's my OH's and hes keen on photography, i have enough trouble getting the lens cap off :D oh just had a look an its a Canon powershot SX20

10. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Thanks Gilly and Jess, that is great and has given me a little more info to go on now at least :)

11. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

i got that one because i was recommended it by the shop as i wanted it for concerts lol , its small enough to carry in a pocket :D , all my zoo pics are done by this camera aswell :D

12. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I also have a Canon powershot A410 it's only 3.2 mega pixels,but it's a handy size to put in my pocket.

I have a Fujfilm finepix S1500 which is 10 mega pixels,but it doesn't fit in my pocket so that only comes out with me on dry days,so not very often during at the moment.:001_smile:

13. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I have a Canon EOS 60D with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and an EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III lens. I also have a little Panasonic Lumix TZ7 when I don't want to lug the 60D places!

14. Olympus - E450. :)

Or I borrow my MIL's which is a Olympus E1.

15. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I'm getting the 1000D i think it is (i could be wrong as it was a while ago we looked :rolleyes: ) they told me in the shop I need a £45 memory card for it as it takes pictures quicker :eek: do i really need it? I have a 4gb in my powershot and would be happy just putting that in it :blink:

16. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Can't believe someone has brought Camera's up tonight.. Im miffed with mine..

Ive just got it back.. My ex's mate borrowed it a while back.. before I got repossession of it.. :( Well my 2 memory cards have gone and one that doesn't fit has been left in its place and the instructions have gone.. Usb cable and a couple other bits..

Mine is just a Fuji Finepix S6500 fd..

Its always done me proud when I have taken it to horse shows... :) So as soon as I get new cards and Batteries .. I shall put it back into good use.. :)

17. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Fujifilm AX245W Black Digital Camera - 12MP, 4x Optical Zoom and a 2.7" LCD - Tesco.Direct

reasonable starting out camera this one. I think I paid around £125 for mine about a year and a half ago, and you can still pay up to £200 for one, but it depends what you want it for. If you're just learning, you really don't want to be paying shed loads out for a camera til you've got the hang of the settings on a basic one, the SLR's are way more complicated with shutter speeds and aperture sizes and such.......I'll attempt to load some pictures I've taken using mine into my albums tomorrow and PM you, so you can see what you can take with a fairly simple camera....;)

Jackie99 likes this.
  18. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

My gear...

DSLR bodies: Canon EOS 7D (being repaired under warranty), EOS 40D (on order as a future back-up).
    Lenses: Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM IS II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f1.2L USM (on order).
    Flashguns: Canon 580 EX II speedlight, 430 EX speedlight.

19. Maybe someone can give me some advice as to why pictures come out grainy when I take it in not in clear day light (so if i take it indoors even with the flash on).

20. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Turn down the ISO setting if you have a manual mode on the camera. I always use manual whenever it's available on a camera to give me direct control over shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice