Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What breeds do you plan on having in the future

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Goldstar, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I am really keen on Parson Russell Terriers, Lancashire Heelers, Manchester Terriers, Dobes, Dalmatians and Hungarian Vizsla's.

It will be a few years off so I have plenty of time to decide but I really can't pick one. I want them all.

I think what will probably happen is that I'll see a beautiful little rescue Jack boy when I'm ready for my 2nd and I won't be able to resist :D

So, what breeds do you plan on having in the future?

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I like mongrels and would like to rescue so no real breeds. I wouldn't like a terrier type as I don't think they'd suit me. I do love Shepherds and other faithful guardian breeds so if I was then probably one like that.

3. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

A griffon Bruxellois.

4. Nagini

Nagini Guest

i'd really love a russian black terrier.:)

5. Ruffers

Ruffers PetForums Senior

I'd love another basset (or three!) and we'd really like a blood hound...and maybe a French bulldog... ;)

6. lipsthefish

lipsthefish PetForums VIP

I NEED a Prague Ratter (thanks Luz ;) ) I know hubby would love a Yorkie one day too but in reality we'll just get whatever turns up when we happen to be ready, that's what's happened over the last 20 years and it's worked out ok :D

7. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Rottweilers first and foremost. Everything else is just "ifs, buts and maybes".

I'd like my boy pup first, followed by a bitch, possibly a rescue.

Currently the top 2 breeds on the list of "potentials" are a Dobie (my choice) or a Eurasier (OH choice).
    I'd also like an American bulldog or a Cane corso.

There are lots of the giant breeds we like, but tbh honest we've ruled most of them out for now for being too lazy! We're after active dogs that can walk for miles and I can do some training with. I'm not trying to carry a matiff home!!

I also have a thing for the slinkies, either a borzoi, deerhound, or just a scruffy lurcher :)

Finally, if I ever end up in a situation where I really can't have big dogs or do lots of walking and I'm stuck with the littlies - an affenpinscher!

That said, we did discuss this yesterday, and admitted that while there are lots of breeds we quite like we might well end up just sticking to rotties. Rotts and dobes are the only two that actually physically give me butterflies every time I see them. :eek:

8. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Well, as my first breed is still currently technically a future breed as well, my next future breed is a bernese of course :)

In the future, future, future... Lots of possible planned breeds :D Top of the current list though are a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Golden Retriever, Leonberger and a German Shepard.

Although I've spent so long finding a breed that I think I suit the best that currently I can't think beyond having more Berneses in the future :)

Also, although not my "normal sort of dog" ie big and hairy, I'd like to eventually rescue a staffy as it breaks my heart how many need homes.

9. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

We *think* it will be a Stafford. This is mostly my preference as (i) we want a rescue dog for dog no.2 now we are starting to get a grip on what we're doing, (ii) they are over represented in rescues, and (iii) they are unfairly maligned. In fact, we went to York RSPCA to meet Sky, the Stafford today, but ... she is terrified of other dogs (goodness only knows what she has gone through).

That said, Scrabble, our Border, tends to like larger male dogs. So ultimately, it'll come down to what dog passes the Scrabble test. OH is slightly concerned that, not only will we get a Stafford, but "if you and Scrabble have your way, we'll have some bloody great big mountain dog." :laugh:

10. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

There's so many dogs i'd love to have in the future, but i have a very picky OH ! So he doesn't agree with some of the breeds.

Our next dog is going to be a Boxer but i can see us having more than one ! I don't have long to wait now :eek:

then it's going to be a German shorthaired Pointer, not the wirehaired though OH doesn't like dogs with beards :mad: so no wire haired breeds sadly .. my fav :(

OH wants a British Bulldog or a Chesapeake bay retriever at some point but i'll only agree to BB if i have an active dog myself ... of my choice.

I would love a German Shepherd ... my dream dog since i was little but OH isn't keen on them but i'll worm my way into having one.

But my list goes on and on ! I'll be here all day!

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Another RR...in 9 sleeps' time :D.

Other than that...loads of dog breeds that I love but wouldn't own for various reasons; hubby doesn't like lots of the athletic pointy types that I do so I have to factor that in too.

If I were to own a small breed Border Terriers and Chinese Cresteds are contenders!!

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I would love a Finnish Lapphund one day, & she/he would come from a good breeder only because they very rarely turn up in rescue.

Other breeds I'm in love with are GSDs, salukis & Northern Inuits but they would be rescues, I've also discovered a new found love for border collies since starting agility, so I wouldn't say no to a lovely rescue BC in future.

However, all best laid plans get disrupted & there will probably be someone in need of a home who ends up settling down with us;)

13. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Something small and rather wee
    A Dog that can't just injure me
    Or take me off through Scrub and Bush
    Before my brain can sense the rush
    A Dog that stays within my stride
    And not some Jekyll or Mr Hyde
    Who'll change his ways at midnight hour
    So I think I'll have a small Chihuahua.
    :)

14. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

GSD'S, mini long haired dachshunds and chihuahuas :D

15. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

another Pyr and maybe a Bernese.....I've wanted a Bernese since I was 13, but have fallen totally for the Pyr since Lexi came into our lives

16. sophieanne93

sophieanne93 PetForums Member

I would love to own either a GSD or a BC, been dream dogs since i was little!

17. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I would love another Airedale Terrier! Ours was lovely, she was very laid back, gentle and intelligent. :)

18. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

It's easier to do this by group ;)

Gundog
    - Bracco Italiano
    - Chesapeake
    - Flatcoat
    - GSP
    - English Pointer

Hound
    - GBGV(or PBGV)
    - Beagle
    - Wolfhound
    - Ridgeback(would love a Thai one day but i also love rhodesians)
    - Teckel

Pastoral
    - Anatolian Shep
    - Belgian Shep(groenendael sP?)
    - Possibly a GSD

Terrier
    - Welsh
    - Border
    - Cairn

Toy
    - English Toy Terrier
    - Pug
    - Pomeranian or papillion

Utility
    - Dally
    - Akita(not sure about Japanese or American

Working
    - Malamute
    - Bernese
    - Boxer
    - Bullmastiff
    - Central Asian Ovcharka
    - Dogue De Bordeaux
    - Great Dane
    - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
    - Mastiff
    - Rotty
    - Russian Black Terrier

All these breeds are one's we've talked about getting realistically, our next dog will either be a DDB, Ridgeback or Bullmastiff :)

19. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

There are loads. I would like a Rottie, Dobe and Great Dane at some point and I quite fancy a Ridgie thanks to Dogless :D

However I expect the next one will be another Boxer :)

ETA: Also most of what ballybee has written!

20. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I would love a Jack Russell/Parson Russell or Border Terrier or German Shepherd as my next dog.

But would also like a Rotty in the future too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice