Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Breeds do you asthma sufferers have!?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by millybultitude, Sep 28, 2015.

1. millybultitude

millybultitude PetForums Junior

Hi all,

Sadly earlier this year my asthma got so bad I had to spend a week in ICU, this led to the decision of having to full loan out my horse, this broke my heart as I've always loved horses. I've still been recovering but now I'm ready for something in my life again!
    My parents have agreed to let me have a puppy/younger dog. The reason I can't get a rescue over a year (maybe two) is because my family run a nursery from our home so the dogs past must be reliable and trustworthy!

I'm just having trouble on deciding a breed, we already have a miniature Labradoodle bitch of two years old, I ideally wanted another breed not another Labradoodle but something medium sized that will keep up with my super springy Labradoodle!

I have to be super careful when looking for a puppy because my asthma, so if anyone can tell me what dogs they have with asthma or allergy sufferers!

Unfortunately my mum won't allow certain breeds in the household -
    Staffs
    GSD
    Dalmatian
    Rottweiler
    Doberman

(her personal preference please no crit for this some of those are my favourite dogs not my decision but it's her house)

2. AllthingsRodent

AllthingsRodent PetForums Member

Well are family got a collie cross from a rescue and my asthma is fine even though he does leave hair everywhere lol

millybultitude likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It depends what allergens triggers your asthma, to whether any dog would be suitable.

As an asthma sufferer so far I cope with any dogs, but some cats can induce hives and asthmatic response. So does tree pollen, and exercise if not using my blue reliever before handed as instructed.

I suppose it would be non/low shedding breeds that may be best that do no drop hair and dander, but will need brushing and grooming to remove loose hair that doesn't traditionally drop. But I would stick to recognised kc breeds, rather than the crossbreeds with these breeds.

As an asthma sufferer keep up normal routines, such as hoovering using hepa filters, regularly treat house for dust mites, which usually have a flea protector too.

If your family have their mind set on a breed that does shed, then am not sure if petal cleanse is still available. I bought it many years ago as my sister is allergic to everything with fur so I used to use it on my dogs I had then for when she visited. It was supposed to help might be worth looking into.

Wiz201 and LinznMilly like this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I have asthma (under control) and eczema .... not so much under control. I have a Heinz 57 and a Whippet lurcher (Whippet x terrier), however, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for severe asthma sufferers. For Dog Number 3, I'm looking at getting a mini poodle.

Here's a link to more information on dog breeds that don't shed as much:
    http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/dog-groomer-salzberg/dog-breed-shedding.aspx

Do you know for certain that pets are a trigger for you? Could be house dust mite, as that's a common asthma trigger.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Standard poodle. Fantastic with children and genuinely non-shedding, in my experience.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. millybultitude

I can cope with dogs and horses and some cats. We had all three now just the dog and cat. I'm fine with our Labradoodle (LabradorXPoodle)
    As I'm so severe we are extra careful with dust mites and hoovering all the time. There is one breed with sets me off so badly which is a Labrador Retreiver. We've had JRT, Weimaraner, Red Setters in our family, which have affected me but not that badly. Family would like me to get another Doodle, but not sure how I feel about this!

But thank you though!

7. millybultitude

Yeah my asthma is not under control but because of the steroids i'm on it clears up my eczema! Win haha! Oh okay! Yeah I was thinking a poodle, like I said we have a poodle X Labrador miniature, she's perfect but I'd like a new breed!
    Had a skin prick, allergic to cats, dogs, horses, grass, trees, luckily not dust mites but most other things. Certain dogs - the only one I have had a serious attack from is a Labrador Retriever but I think the longer haired dogs would get me as well, Collies/GSD/etc...! My asthma has controlled and ruined so many things for me like selling my horse, I won't let it take away my love for dogs as well!
    Thanks for the link will look at it now!

8. millybultitude

Yeah I was thinking that! But i've heard stories of them being so snappy!? Is it a rumour?

9. lullabydream

maybe the better question would be, what do you want to do with your dog, have any goals, what traits do you like in dogs, size rather than focus on having asthma. Asthma wouldn't be a consideration for me owning a dog but would be if I wanted a cat, and a rat because I am allergic to them!

10. millybultitude

Well I know I am allergic to them but it's just a case of keeping up on my medicines, everyday cleaning and hoovering and things!
    Because our Doodle is quite small we'd want a medium sized dog, not too large as we have the nursery and don't want any kids to be knocked over! I also want a dog who will be able to keep up with my super springy current dog, so nothing too small that will get tired quickly as me and Ivy usually go for 1 1/2-3 hour walks!

11. lullabydream

if a labrador retriever sets you off, i would certainly not get another labradoodle.

You do not know which side of the gene you will get, and some labradoodles shed more than actual Labradors and as cute 8 week old pups they can still have a poodle look to them.

You seem to have been very lucky with your current dog.

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. millybultitude

She is a back cross so a Labradoodle X Poodle, 2nd Generation, I am super lucky we just want a friend for her but have to think carefully

13. lullabydream

Why do all people think small dogs tire quickly, my Yorkshire Terrier and Chihuahuas will literally walk for miles, because thats what we do! Like an animal they will get used to what you give them, and like to be treated mo different to other dogs. Why do people think they prefer to be carried or put in handbags is beyond me!

LinznMilly likes this.
  14. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

They are SO not snappy (disclaimer - obviously there are the odd one or two, but it's very rare)! Smaller poods can have their moments, but the standards are very solid.

15. millybultitude

There is no need to be rude, I never said that it would want to be carried or put in my handbag i'm not that sort of person.
    I want something that can keep up with my dog and not be pushed over by her.

16. millybultitude

Cool thank you! Will take a look! :)

17. lullabydream

I am not being rude, I am just saying small dogs can keep up, you said they couldn't, and quite a few people who owner toy breeds also own large breeds with no incidents of them being pushes over.

18. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

LBD wasn't being rude. There is a general misconception that small dogs can't walk for miles like bigger dogs can, and you seemed to have fallen into the trap of believing that hype. I read your post in exactly the same way as LBD and was also concerned that maybe you thought small dogs were handbag dogs or lap dogs. Also, have you heard of "Small Dog syndrome?" Small dogs sometimes don't realise they're small, and there's no evidence that a smaller dog will be "pushed over" by your Doodle.

And yes, you have been very lucky in your Labradoodle, as they're not all "hypoallergenic".

lullabydream likes this.
  19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have 2 mini dachshunds , one of whom is nearly 12, and they can and do walk for miles. They can certainly outwalk me !
    My husband is mildly asthmatic and they don't trigger his asthma or shed fur , they are the wirehaired variety and very good tempered. The younger one is scared of children but a puppy brought up around children would/ should be ok.
    In any case they would never leave any dog unsupervised round children would they ?
    Incidentally Petal cleanse is still available but my daughter didn't find it very helpful.

LinznMilly and lullabydream like this.
  20. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I have a nice, short haired lurcher. My asthma sounds like yours.... regularly floors me completely and I have to nebulise at least a couple of times a week. It's utterly exhausting and you have my sympathies.
    Logan sleeps in my room and I have had no worsening in my breathing since he joined the family 6 weeks ago. Well.... apart from the delights of coughing triggered by temperature changes when I take him for a walk and back but that at least is predictable!
    Interestingly, I am allergic to some dogs (labradors usually) and cats that arent my own. Maybe it'd be worth taking some decent antihystamines for the first couple of weeks with the new pooch in your house just to give you an extra layer of protection whilst your body adjusts?
    Don't know if this is of any use at all my last week I got offered a new inhaler and it has been an amazing help. It is called Dueresp Spiromax and is a long acting reliever and preventer combined. If you havent tried it before, might be worth a punt if your chest gets bad again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice