UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondered if anyone call tell me what breeds of cat don't or can't climb or jump, as my garden would now be fully cat-proof for a cat of that kind! :)

Once I have put mesh on top of the back fence, even Jumpy will find it a challenge to escape!! (Although he IS an Escapologist...) :rolleyes:

If I was offered a cat that couldn't climb or jump, I could theoretically add it to my gang... ;)

Any ideas, people?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have 18month old british shorthair, my garden is fenced with purrfect fencing and she has never tried to climb up or over it - she also never climbed curtains as a kitten, I dont think the breed is a great fan of heights and they are normally placid cats although try telling that to my 11 week old kittens at the moment lol

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Just wondered if anyone call tell me what breeds of cat don't or can't climb or jump, as my garden would now be fully cat-proof for a cat of that kind! :)

Once I have put mesh on top of the back fence, even Jumpy will find it a challenge to escape!! (Although he IS an Escapologist...) :rolleyes:

If I was offered a cat that couldn't climb or jump, I could theoretically add it to my gang... ;)

Any ideas, people?
Just don't call your theoretical cat Climby, and you should be ok :)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Don't bother trying a Burmese - mine are usually to be found on the top of wardrobes, doors, kitchen cupboards. :D

My sister had a Persian, now has a Chinchilla and a Raggy. She has a garden enclosed by just high post and slat fencing and they've never tried to get out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I sure Carly will correct me if I am wrong but Persians are not big jumpers or climbers (it wasn't something that was on or off my tick list). Bit I guess it may depend on what they see - Mitzi is a massive climber (lots of trees at home) so I will be interested to see if we get mountaineering Persians.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I sure Carly will correct me if I am wrong but Persians are not big jumpers or climbers (it wasn't something that was on or off my tick list). Bit I guess it may depend on what they see - Mitzi is a massive climber (lots of trees at home) so I will be interested to see if we get mountaineering Persians.
I got one :D Trouble with Persians, well with Manny, he likes to climb but he isnt very good at it! He is a clumsy oaf :D

Molly is a typical persian, she never climbs anything. We even have to pull a chair out by the table so she can gradually get up there :rolleyes: She is even more clumsy than Manny! She frightens the life out of us if she is anywhere that is higher than knee height :D

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm thanks for all the ideas and thoughts :)
If I were to get a 3rd cat, maybe a Persian would be good, but only if they weren't keen on escaping... lol!! I would probably go for a female, maybe a retired breeding queen, would like longhaired...... but these are just ideas at the moment!!! Then she could be either in or outdoors and help my 2 little rascals to stay in the garden (provided she got on with them of course!!) ;)

Jumpy is an expert jumper and Pixie is proving herself to be an expert climber - she is so small and light that she can skim right up the top of the apple tree!! :eek: But at the moment I have to stand below with her favourite wand toy (Favourite Fishy) to try to entice her down before she gets interested in climbing over next door's fence.......... :yikes:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
our selkirk variant is not really a climber... our short curly boy is totally the opposite.. we had to do more work to the garden to try and stop him trying to climb out... he still tries..

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here she is shes 4 years she has never been interested in going out of my door too.:)

View attachment 100605
Awwww very very cute!!! :001_wub:
So tempting!! Not asked mum and dad yet though... lol!! Do you think an ex-breeding queen would be a good choice to get on with my 2 as they could do with a calming influence around them? Treacle was a calm cat and he seemed to fill this role very well for them. Jumpy and Pixie don't always get on, but on other days they will enjoy some fun play sessions together, so I'm not sure if another cat would be a good idea or not...? :confused: What kind of cat would be best for them? Pixie gets a bit fed up that Jumpy is allowed out for a couple of hours and some days she doesn't get to go out at all yet! :)

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
She is lovely, just put a BSH in your life:D. Out of curiosity are retired queens sold or given out for adoption? What age are they retired?
I know most breeders ask for a fee to cover the spay (i dont) and a retired girl will usually be around 4 years unless she was not a good mum or had problems giving birth.

Sorry op taking your thread a bit off topic. :eek:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.