Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What breeds are good with Asthma?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Jun 29, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I'm helping a friend out who's looking for a dog that's good with asthma, in truth I only know what dogs are good with allergies but i've had a sujeston of whippets and basenjis for asthma, is this true?

Can you please gimmie some breeds so I have some idea what i'm looking for, thanks :D

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Poodles and their mixes, whippets, greyhounds, quite a few of the terriers like the kerry blues and westies., bichons, havaneses. Essentially the non-shedding or low shedding breeds

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Yup what she said,,,,,bichons lol.

4. SpringerHusky

Westies? really :confused: never would have thought of westies, awesome :D

Thanks ;)

5. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

Lhasas, lhasas, oh and lhasas!!!!

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Not poodle mixes....... a mix could take after either parent - best is sticking to a purebreed that you can guarantee will be non shedding.

RottieMummy likes this.
  7. SpringerHusky

hehe lhasas are cute :)

anyone have any idea about whippets? I know he would like a whippet =o

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I think the difficulty is that different things trigger asthma in different people. They may or may not be affected by the hair/dander/saliva of animals including dogs, and if they are, some dogs may affect them, others not. It may be better to get them to spend some time with a potential pet first to see if they trigger an attack.

Picklelily likes this.
  9. SpringerHusky

Yeah well this is the funny thing

The guy's mum who has the asthma was not reactive to his german shepherd and currently they have a whippet x PRT x fox terrier that dosen't bother her either but he adopted a jrt and it set her off quite bad.

10. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i believe bedlingtons are on the approved list but i could always lend you a whippet as long as its muscle tone is improved lol or a beddy

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I read poodles are good with asthma in a issue of Dogs Monthly afew months back.

12. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Miniature schnauzer!! :)

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would have thought poodles were among the best, depending on what sets the asthma off because their coat is more wool than hair. But there is no reason why pets should make asthma worse, it would completely depend on the trigger surely. My daughter was very allergic to sheep and slightly allergic to horses when younger but fine with dogs and cats. I met someone the other day who said her husband was allergic to poodles but was fine with their very unpoodlelike labradoodle. In fact he looked rather llike a shaggy lurcher.

14. SpringerHusky

Thanks everyone and terriermaid-i'd have problems giving them back, all your dogs are so lovley :p

The guy dosen't want a bichion or a poodle for fear of being ridiculed, he's had a shepherd before and shep mix and now has a PRT x FT x whippet and is looking for a friend for him, so I said i'd help but TBH i'm having hell finding a dog good with asthma in rescue.

15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Although I can't really give much advice about breeds.
    My brother has asthma and he is fine with Bailey, my lab and was also fine with my collie cross who shed lots of hair.
    When he was younger, we had a Springer Spaniel for a very short period of time as his asthma was so bad he couldn't cope.

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Have you tried greyhound or lurcher rescues?
    Might find what you are looking for there. TBH though my whippet sheds loads, probably more than my other two..

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If he was ok with a shepherd then I would have thought any breed would do, you couldnt have much worse than that for dog hairs floating around. Asthma and dogs are not related necessarily. Why on earth would he be ridiculed with a poodle. If he likes big dogs then a standard poodle is a lovely sporting dog.

18. SpringerHusky

Most greyhounds are lurchers are too big, he's after a dog no bigger than a springer but i'll keep an eye out for bedlington x whippet or something

19. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Whippets are fine for people with asthma. My OH has asthma and I have 10 whippets.They hardly shed at all were as my greyhounds shed terribly. I know people that are actually allergic to dogs that can have whippets.

20. SpringerHusky

Thanks allot, that will cheer him up allot :)

The guy himself is not but him loives with his 90 year mum who has asthma, so needed a small/medium sized dog :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice