Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cavmad, Aug 7, 2009.

1. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I am thinking about getting another dog next year and want to do some research into different breeds. I want a dog that i can show do agility flyball and obedience with so an all rounder not too long a coat and not too hypy. I have cavaliers collies and a leonberger at the moment.I also foster cavs so i need a breed that is known to be good with strangers as i have a mad house. I love Rottwielers which fit the bill but they are very heavy and i'm worried that i wont be able to manage one if it wants to go somewhere in a hurry. Any surgestions please

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The leggier staffies might be good.

Mine would have been good at agility.

3. rona

rona Guest

Have got a leggy Staffie near me that thoroughly loves his agility, beautiful dog too :)

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

What about some sort of Terrier? They might be good at agility because they're quick little dogs and they're often eager to learn.... a parson's russell maybe? They have longer legs so may be better at agility or flyball :)

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Staffie crosses are extreamly popular at agility and flyball now a days, you get the speed of the cross but the lovely people friendly temperment of the stafie. My girlie loved agilty and despite her chunky size was always fast round the course!!

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

poodles :)

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Terriers if you want a small dog for agility or flyball they basically own mini agility. Poodles are fantastic as well. Try this site list of some breeds and information from handlers. I thought cavaliers did really well at agility and I'm sure your collies would be amazing.
    An ABC of ABCs

8. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

hahahaha every1 prob knows wot im going to say... Alaskan Klee Kai built for all purposes other than being a guard dog..... Very smart and i mean smart. We also havent come across any small dog of similiar size that can keep up with her in full sprint she even manages to keep up with a fully grown husky even out running him sometimes. My GF is just waiting for Kya to become a year old then she is gonna do agility and maybe flyball as she is to keen on flyball at the mo but honestly Kya turns on a six pence

9. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

border collies? my friend has one and she is brilliant at dly ball and agility :)

10. rotts05

rotts05 PetForums Member

If you can handle a Leo you can handle a rottie! I saw some rotties doing agility recently and they were amazing, I would love to take my girl but there are no classes local to me.

11. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

I think Rottis are amazing, all round dogs, one of ma fav breeds, they have great bursts of energy, as for being the best dog for agilty ? hmm, i dunno about that.

But having saying that i can think of many dogs with worse agiltly, and i think if you trained your Rotti for agilty then it could well be a good pick. They LOVE being worked :)

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'd say a rottie would be good a fit rottie can do anything. They mightn't be as fast as other breeds but they would love the challenge

13. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Yeh, i agree. I think Rottis are certainly one of the best all rounders. Big and strong, plenty of energy, and very clever too.

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I think there are some that have gotten titles they'd be slow but I doubt they'd make many mistakes not like some of the collies etc who run too fast and miss contacts. It might be hard persuading them this new stupid thing the humans have thought up is a good idea but once you've done that I'm sure they'll be more than happy.

15. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your replies i do love rotties and mum used to breed them but i am worried that they are too strong for me now my Leo is 13yrs so doesnt pull or do anything in a hurry.I love the idea of the Alaskan Klee Kai but dont really know anything about them but love there looks. I like poodles but as i want to show while it is a pup i hate the show clip and dont think i could cope with it.Keep your ideas coming please

16. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I would say Mini schnauzer, they dont moult but need grooming, can do that yourself fairly easily. They can be very good at agility, i hope to do agility with Bella when she is a big girl!!

:):)

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't think poodles have a show clip as a pup. A woman we know shows standards and she never has hers show cliped until they are over 12 months old. When I judged junior handling the other week a girl handled a standar pup and that was just clipped to about 3" it was an older pup and I think they were letting its coat grow ready to show clip him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice