Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jenny armour, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

my nephew is considering getting a pup to join the family. he has two daughters aged 7and 4. holly the 7year old is mad about dogs (runs in the family). he told me he was considering (or rather the family was) getting a cavalier possibly a tri.
    they don't want a large dog but obviously a breed that will be fine with children. any advice?

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Cavaliers make wonderful family pets but are riddled with serious health issues :(. How about a member of the bichon family? Bichon, havanese, coton etc all healthy, sturdy little dogs that make good family members. They do take quite a bit of grooming though.

3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Bichon Frise love children and they don't shed, my mother in law has one :)

4. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

How funny is that - we said the same thing at the same time!!!

5. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

What other requirements do they have other than size? I'm thinking along the lines of exercise requirements, grooming, etc.

6. clayton1985

clayton1985 PetForums VIP

I honestly think bulldogs make great family dogs

7. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Cavaliers are amazing with children, ours is so loving and gentle but playful too, I would suggest though REALLY researching breeders and ALWAYS taking out insurance.

Labs are great with kids however I wouldn't recommend one for a busy family as they need walking at least twice a day come what may and they can be a little boisterous for timid children.

8. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

A Bichon for sure they love everyone great family pet get on good with children
    Only drawback is they do need brushing each day and when older a trip to the groomers at least every 6 to 8 weeks

9. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

thank you for the advice. I have suggested that he go along to the discover dogs exhibit in November at earls court to get advice. I know my nephews wife wanted either a French bulldog or am English bulldog. I though labs or golden retrievers but they don't want a big dog.

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

English bulldogs are fairly big and strong when they're fully grown. A properly bred and raised one makes a wonderful family pet though if rather stubborn.

11. Honeybunny1984

Honeybunny1984 PetForums Member

as others have said, a Bichon would be ideal :biggrin5: they're like fluffy little children themselves, living for cuddles & play times :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice