Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what breed!?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by monkeyman88, Jan 5, 2012.

1. monkeyman88

monkeyman88 PetForums Newbie

Hey thinking about getting a dog soon and was woundering what breed to go for! i am really pushing towards a beagle but have heard good and bad points of view about them! and just woundering if anyone has any advice on what breed to have and any advice about beagles. i will have plenty of time for training and will be returing home on lunch breaks to check and let out for the toilet and am home early everyday! want a medium size dog really and a breed that tends to get on with other dogs and animals!

any suggestions welcome :)

2. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

We need a bit more info than that. ;)

I'd say Staffies. They are great for most purposes. :D

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

There's good and bad in every breed. You have to decide if you can live with the bad points of a breed

4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

Beagles are gorgeous - you have good taste :) There are several that my dog plays with at a local park and they are all lovely. Tend to be a bit keen on food, many of them :D You also have to train a rock solid recall, as with all dogs - might at times be a tad challenging with Beagles as of course they are hounds.

You mentioned popping home at lunch time - I'm assuming you mean when the pup is a bit older? As a pup can't be left for several hours at a time when very young; sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, I'm sure you've already thought of all this :)

5. monkeyman88

well it will be left alone no more then four hours between checks and after 4 will b with it for the rest of the evening, want a dog that enjoys walking and will get on with other dogs as will be going on walks with friends and familys. training i have the time for will do obidiance lessons from a puppy as i have seen the benifts of it. i would want a puppy as its me and my partners 1st dog together and being young will defo the energy to keep up (just) and maybe once it has settled in we said we would conider rehoming a older staff (few years down the line) as you see loads of them in rescue centers but usally dont get on with other animals

6. monkeyman88

would four hours be 2 long? as when i initially get it i will take some time of 2 settle in 2 a routine! and yer i have done a lod of research on them and they look like fun and defo hard work but the only draw backs i really see is the running of issue when they catch a scent and baying alot! my biggest worry was that they are pack animals

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Theres a thread that i started a long time ago on here somewhere about beagles, some very good posts on there from beagle owners.

8. monkeyman88

arhh cool will have a look and see if i can find it

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

don't do it, thats all i can say :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. monkeyman88

are they as bad as people say then i have seen so really mixed opinions some say great dogs with the training others say they just run away and detroy your house and untrainable. have had experience with other breeds and dont no anyone with a begeal! just attracted to there looks and single mindedness which is prob a bad thing to be attracted to if i wanna keep my sofa!

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Puppyhood was a nightmare, i would of happily given Shelby away to anyone, she's not soo bad now. They are loving, happy dogs but can be prone to separation anxiety, destructive and noisy if left alone too long or not been trained correctly. They shed loads, you and anyone who enters the house will get a 10 min sniffing interrogation when you walk in. Can be slow to toilet train, are hard to train for good recall. If i leave Shelby on a walk to go to the toilet, she will beagle bay until i return which is very loud and embarrassing which means i can't tie her up outside shops etc.

People often think their stupid dogs, they are not but they will only do what they want and very sneaky if the think they can get away with it they will do it!
    A beagle is not a breed of dog i would own again ! I can honestly say my Pointer was and is 10 times easier !

Anyway theirs my ramble, bet you wished i stayed quiet now :eek:

12. monkeyman88

no this is the sort of advice im looking for! and im pretty single minded myself and once i have any idea of what i want i tend to hold on 2 it! but dont wanan be stupid about it! so basically a bit of a nightmere for the 1st 2 years the seperation thing is wat i most worried about due the four hours between popping home!

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think for any young puppy 4 hours between visits is too long, and it would also be impossible to toilet train the puppy as they need to be taken out at least every hour when they're young. Is there someone who could look after your pup during the day for the first few months?

14. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Shelby can be left for 6-7 hours at a time with no damage but i very rarely do that. I'm not sure what she would be like if left for 8 hours a day by herself with a quick wee brake. Also it's too much to ask a puppy to be left for IMHO, have you thought about a older Beagle from Beagle welfare ?

15. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Labradors FTW!!:D

16. monkeyman88

no maybe will look into it! anyone got any other breed ideas its goign be a good few months till i can even think about getting one!

17. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Labradors. Working strain if you are very active.

18. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Beagles are great, lol then I'm biased as I have been rescuing them for 40 years, I have 7 at the moment. They do say though that if you see a man in a park with a lead and no dog he's a beagle owner. Also their noses work but their ears don't.

Attached Files:

19. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

working strain would say to me that there use to being around and working with people all day, not being left at home with the normal dog walks :rolleyes: Surely a show/pet bred lab would still be fine for longer weekend active walks !

20. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

A lot of show bred labs arnt fit for the purpose they were bred originally. Some show bred dogs would be ok on long walks but lots wouldn't because they are bred to be a lot bigger than their working cousins so they tire quicker and cant go for as long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice