Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What breed is suitable with a bengal?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emma_Williams, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

Hi

My little boy, Remus is getting rather naughty and very noisey, I thought at first we was just being well a naughty kitten but after I stayed at my mums with him and saw how much happier he was playing with her silver bengal, Nemo, I am planning on getting him a friend. Problem is I don't know what breeds he would be good with. I know a Persian is out because how much he hated my mums. He even hissed at his food and refused to touch it until it had been washed because she had eaten from it. (He was fine with Nemo eating out of his bowl though.)

So basically, what breeds can keep up with a bengal and get on well with them?

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I would say any breed that has a similar activity level and outlook on life – probably any of the 'foreign' breeds and any cat whose temperament and personality complements Remus'

3. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

If i were you i would get another bengal, but if you wanted something different i have a bengal and siamese and they get on great. not sure about any other breeds though. just have a look at cats with similar charecters as a bengal and you should be alright:D

4. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Well Maine Coons are legendary for their ability to 'get on with just about anything' :wink: When we introduced Honey to Dexter, he marched up to her, pinned her to the floor and proceeded to clean her ears out for her:eek:hmy:

Of course there is always another Bengal kitten with your name on it somewhere.

Ian.

5. Emma_Williams

Thanks for all the advice. Its mainly because the OH wants to know as he doesn't know anything about cat breeds. He likes British Shorthairs because they are British and look chunky. Bengals are cool because they are big and look like leopards! Persians are stupid, they look like they ran into a wall, also have longhair YUK! Thats as far as he knows and said really.

I suggested Maine Coon too because I think they are just... wow! I thought he would say yes because he loves the idea of having large cats and they are huge. He liked that bit but not the long hair bit :( He also thought the cute tuffs on the ears were silly :( Any ideas how to sway that idea more?

Another Bengal is an idea and he keeps swapping what kind. Marble is out as he likes rossettes or lots of spots like Remus. Brown is also out because we can't have to the same colour LOL (he is fussy) He likes the idea of one thats like a snow leopard. Whiteish with dark spots/rossettes but I can only find snows with light spots or silvers with dark spots... grrr.

Thats why I was asking if anyone can think of other breeds. Oh he also said siamese looked creepy LOL

6. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

How about an egyptian mau? silver with dark spots but i don't think there all that big though but do have very simular characters.

7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Hmmmm..... I don't know if many people still breed them, but you can get Sepia Snow Bengals who have much darker spotting on a white background. You can also get Blue Bengals, which are cream with blue-grey markings.

Tell him he's being daft - another Bengal the same as Remus would look stunning, there's nothing like having a matched pair!

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

:nonod: I think its probably best to keep your b/f comments on certain breeds to yourself ;) Could be taken the wrong way by people that are passionate about their breed. It comes across as insulting - like telling someone their child is ugly :)

lorilu likes this.
  9. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

you may find british shorthairs are a bit to laid ack for a bengal. Id go for another Bengal or one of the orientals they have similar personality. persians id say are also not so much a good match as they tend to be very laid back and havent the energy that a bengal you may find otherwise your cat will harass another thats quite in nature.

10. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

or maybe a savannah cat? not sure what there temperment is like though

11. manickbarry

manickbarry PetForums Junior

defiantly another bengal or a toyger:eek:hmy:

12. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

My husband thought the same when we were looking at breeds. I ignored his superficial comments & when he saw them in person at the breeder's house he was in love. :001_tt1:

What about Norwegian Forest Cats if he thinks Maine Coon ears are silly? They look similar but without the ear furnishing and a much straighter nose.

13. PinkPaws

PinkPaws PetForums Member

Pssh, what do men know anyway?

14. manickbarry

manickbarry PetForums Junior

Cheeky :eek:

15. daniellecool2003

daniellecool2003 PetForums Junior

what breed is Nemo? Would you not get the same breed as him?

16. Emma_Williams

I would love a Toyger but way out of my price range!

He's just come home and I told him what you all said (thanks again). He said You can't have a cat bigger than a leopard (aka Remus) unless it looks like a wild cat too like that one that looked like a Lynx! I pointed out that they have long hair and he said they look like a wild cat so its ok. His problem with long hair is... they look scruffy! Grrr :mad: Long haired cats are awesome, not scruffy!

Oh the Lynx type cat he was on about was a Pixie Bob. Any ideas if one of them would be good with Remus?

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

No idea, except that they might well be outside your price range too.......

18. Emma_Williams

Nemo is a Silver Bengal. Its not so much why not a Bengal it was more what breeds do they suit so I can show OH photos/videos of them to see which he approves of. You see, the deal was that he gets to pick the next cat if we have to have another one. He agreed it has to suit Remus' energy though and be a breed that he and we will get on with.

He is rather piccy on how cats look though. As you've probably read in this topic.

Wow... thought... a website must or should be made as a breed matching site where people could enter what breed they have and get results for what breeds would be ok with it. Ohh and you could have like star ratings and owners reviews on how their 2 diff breeds get on!

19. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Nothing. :cool:

20. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

My Joe is very offended by your OH's remarks :p

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice