Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Breed Are My Dogs ?!?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Matthew Machin, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Matthew Machin

Matthew Machin PetForums Newbie

Okay so I suppose I should start from the beginning.. me and my girlfriend 2 years ago now got 2 puppys for our home, one boy + one girl. we named them Rocky and Poppy

when we got them they come from my girlfriends brother who had a female staff. her name was Tilly, Tilly was a big staffy we don't know where she had come from. she was heavily overweight and looked like she had definitely been bred 2 or 3 times before this litter, we don't know what or where the father of rocky and poppy come from. or what breed he was either because we had never seen him.

so when we got these two dogs as puppys you can see in the photos attached they looked like staffys through and through..

after about a year we started to question the breed of the dogs we got, rocky started gaining a lot more weight than he should for a male staff, his hair is long and his tail is very bushy.

as of today rocky stands at 2 years old. around 35-40kg I not sure of his height, and is very muscular. he has a prey drive of hunting dog and both rocky and poppy do everything at 1000mph

I should also mention in my house we now have 3 staffys including poppy and rocky so... 2 females and one male

the other staff we have is sasha, sasha is 4 years old so double the age of the younger two I am writing about, poppy (aged 2) and sasha (aged 4) poppy is about double the height and weight of sasha and a lot stronger too also like rocky, poppy has long hair, a stocky face and a bushy tail..

as you can see im just concerned of the breeds that they are we have questioned maybe pitbulls or maybe some sort of Shepperd dog mix? I know Im not going to get a definite answer on a forum site but I just want another dog owners opinion ? they are lovely dogs and have good temperaments about them. I do NOT believe they are JUST staffs they are way too big and way too strong and especially do not act like my staffodshire bull terrier Sasha

is their anyone who would have any sort of insight to what these dogs are mixed with thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image4.png

Attached Files:

2. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

pit bulls are not a breed they are a 'type' and is subjective
    I dont see the problem if there is Shepherd in there, its not a banned breed or type
    As for what is in the mix, as you dont know the mix of either parent, it could be anything
    they may take after mum, dad, be a true mix of each or look like neither but another breed in their history
    Plus,
    bitches can, and will, mate with more than one dog when receptive, so who knows ( certainly none of you) what may have got at her

id call them staffy crosses ( cos that seems to be what is predominant) and be happy with them

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

As above. Unless you have paperwork to prove provenance then what you have is a lovely combination or cross breed - almost impossible to detail (you could try a DNA test but even those struggle to know exactly what the line is). If they are bigger and more robust then maybe the cross is with a Mastiff or two (variation). I don't personally see any Pit Bull in there ...and Shepherd, as Mrs Phas says, no problem, thats good. :)

J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice