UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all well I'm back with more questions (again). My girl lassie is loving all her raw feeding but, although she loves lamb bones I had to stop giving her these as she has really horrible poos, always encased in thick mucus and a little blood and this every time so I don't gives these now. I have tried pork ribs which she also likes but she is passing bone in her poo and some are quite sharp shards which worries me, she is ok with any chicken legs, quarters, carcases and turkey wings. What bones can I give her so she is having more bone variety other than chicken and turkey????. She is ok with all chunked meat and whole fish. Oh I do give pet plus as my vet suggested. Thanks for helping me.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Most dogs should be able to digest/ chomp through any bone that is not a weight bearing bone of a large animal (so a cow's leg for example...). How long have you been feeding raw for? It can take a while for their systems to learn to cope. Also how big is your dog? It sounds like she is getting too much bone in one meal- you may want to give her a smaller chunk and up the offal.

What is pet plus?

·
Registered
59 Posts
too much bone usually constitpates them, and can result in them becoming impacted if given too much
I find, beef mince and chicken chunks (with bone in) and tripe is a good balance, with a half a chicken carcass every day, and one of mine gets a turkey d'stick once a fortnight

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying to my post but I must not have explained myself right. Lassie has been raw fed for a few months now and loves her food (too much lol) she is not constipated at all and as I said earlier she enjoys her bones, but, she does not seem to tolerate lamb bones, although no issue with lamb chunks or mince. She has no problems with chicken, turkey, or rabbit either. I am worried about pork ribs as she passes some bone pieces and I have noticed sharp shards of bone, so I'm not sure to give these to her, anyway would chicken, turkey, and rabbit rmb be a sufficient variety, considering she eats a good variety of meats/minces, and fish.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks pogo, although she's been on raw for apprx 6 months I must admit I don't give lamb bones too often because of her bad mucusy poos, so maybe I should add them more often, I will try this with ribs first and hope for the best.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Thanks pogo, although she's been on raw for apprx 6 months I must admit I don't give lamb bones too often because of her bad mucusy poos, so maybe I should add them more often, I will try this with ribs first and hope for the best.
some dogs do take alot longer to get fully used to eating all aspects of raw, so don't worry give it another go and more time :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.