Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What bones can she have?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, May 3, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm going to have a look in Tescos to see if they have any bones I can give to McKenzie, but I'm not quite sure what sort of bones to be looking for. I know you shouldn't give weight-bearing bones, but not sure what this means - is that any leg bone, from any animal?

Does anyone have suggestions for bones they might have in Tescos that would be suitable? (I don't have a butchers) I'm after something that she can chew on by herself when I need to occupy her, so something long-lasting and nothing like a chicken wing that I have to hold.

Thanks! :)

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Weight bearing would be any leg bone excluding chicken (presumably because they are much smaller).
    I'm lucky because OH is a butcher. He works at Morrisons so no perks like a butcher's shop but I can check with him first if I've got it right or he brings them home.
    Ribs are fine - Heidi cant tolerate beef but beef ribs would be great if Kenzie is ok with them and they would keep her occupied too.
    Breast of lamb bones. Blade bone from shoulder of lamb.
    Has she tried the stagbars?
    If you arent sure about weight bearing, best stick with flatter bones.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Great thanks, I'll start by having a look for them.

She's got a stag bar but she's not overly keen on it - she'll pick it up now and again and chew for 5-10 minutes but that's all. I think part of the problem is she can't/won't chew down the ends to get to the rest of the marrow.

4. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury are all reluctant to give you bones. Morrissons have them for sale (bit cheeky given they have to pay to have them carted away!) in the meat bit, obviously, lamb bones normally. I got some but the socket joints were too much for the boys, although there were some fab ribs bits.:)

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi doesnt spend much time with her's either:(

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I do have a Morrisons I can get to so I might try there instead of Tesco.

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hey I found a butcher! So if I go in there, what should I ask for?

8. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

I was told by a vet that chickens bones, (cooked or raw), should not be givenas they can spliter and cause chokeing. I gues this would apply to all poultry.

9. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

my dogs have chicken bones at least twice a week in quarters or wings and have had no problems at all.

10. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Chicken wings are usually okay and if fed raw, as long as you monitor how your dogs handles it!

11. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Raw chicken bones appear to be the staple of any raw diet, they are classed as soft bones, and as long as the dog is supervised there should be no problem. It's cooked chicken bones they should definitely not have.

12. Beau-a-saurus

Beau-a-saurus PetForums Senior

Hi Kenzie,

Great you have found a butcher! When Beau was on bones we used to get lamb carcasses after they have taken all the sellable bits off it - he loved ribs, we used to hack them down to portion size and freeze a batch, lamb neck was also good but he didn't enjoy it as much as the rib sections, I guess coz there were more meat on them. habe has also had pork chops which he loved, all this was free from our butcher so we just took what the had on offer and sorted it out from there :D

If you are buying meat, I would go for lamb breast, bone in stew packs from supermarkets were good oh and butchers do chicken carcasses and wings very cheap, also ask butcher if he can get rabbits as these are pretty cheap and good meat for dogs :D

Good luck and I hope she is enjoying it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice