Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Marcia, Jul 19, 2009.

1. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I know a lot of people who have been in prison as ive stated who are not hard or arrogant they just say it how it is!! its their own experiences and the majority of them had an easy ride and re offend.

2. animallover111

And so the conditions in prisons today should be appalling......they have been sent there for commiting a crime......its not a holiday camp......:mad: :mad:

3. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I agree.

Also, prisons are like luxury for some criminals. Take a look at Ian Brady, he's living the high life in prison, plus he's well protected from other prisoners :rolleyes:
    My cousin who went to prison for getting involved in a drunken fight was on 23 hour lock down in Swansea prison for 6 months! He said it was absolute hell. You were allowed an hour to shower, have a chat, phone home etc. That's what every prison should be like! There was no tv although he did say that the food was ok.

Make the punishment fit the crime! :mad:

4. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I will have to say; its not that simple!!
    Not everyone in prison is there for offences that would necessarily "offend" us and they did not all chose to end up there.
    And not all of them actually did anything wrong at the first place..yes the justice system is not perfect!

5. Nicci

Nicci Guest

You can't walk round a prision in the UK just to see how "hard" life may be, you will not get any invites and any visits are are done via a VO. If you rang a prison up here wishing just to walk around you'd probably get laughed off the phone. As it would be seen a major security risk.

You try ringing anyone you know in a prison in the UK, it wouldn't wouldn't be allowed, even just to visit a relative you have to have a VO and be security cleared, normal joe public would not be invited to walk around a prison environment unless you became a member of the IMB (Independant Monitoring Board) which is a body set up seperate to the prison service whose members consist of the normal joe public and their role is to oversee that all the guidelines and human rights are adhered to.

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I know someone in a special sex offenders prison and they get about £15 a week to spend, its like £2 a week for access to an xbox all week and things!! Honestly they even get a takeaway every month and sky tv etc.

Fair do's they can't walk out of prison whenever they want, but at the end of the day a lot of them are probably better off in terms of the access to sky etc than they were out of prison. I know the man I know damn well is better off inside than out.

7. Oblada

Oblada Guest

There are ways to arrange to have some first hand (or more or less) idea of prison life - i did not say it was easy though;).
    you can read proper scholarly articles rather than tabloids for a start (oki still not first hand but better than nothing).
    you can contact prisoners (usually letters - type of volunteering).

But if you prefer to have a discussion based on throwing gossips up in the air then fine, without me though ;)

8. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

I know alot of people get away with it, and I should've gone to the police at the time, but I was shocked at what happened, and in denial I suppose. It is too late for me to do anything about now. The area where I live is one where everyone knows everything about everyone else, and the hassle I would've got for it would've been more than it was worth, and he would've got away with it anyway as there was no "evidence".

Unfortunatly so many women go to the police claiming that men have raped then when they haven't, and this makes it harder for anyone that actually has had it done to them.

What happened to me is something that I will learn to live with, in a way I blame myself as I could've done something to stop him, although that's easier with hindsight, however children are helpless, they trust adults to do the right thing! People that abuse this trust should be severly punished!

9. animallover111

The justice system is far from perfect......the problem is its not tough enough.....anyone that commits a crime deserves to be in prison......and everyone has a choice to obey the law or not...whilst i accept there are problems there are very few prisons in prison who dont deserve to be there.....you think the conditions are appalling now god help them if i run the prisons......:mad:

10. animallover111

Another brilliant post............

11. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

You are amazing Charlie to have coped with this and your post is excellent! blob coming your way!:)xxxxx (when it lets me)

#111 suzy93074, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  12. animallover111

Im really sorry you have had to go through this.......xx

13. Nicci

Nicci Guest

:rolleyes:

I'm fully aware of what can be done thanks, and that isn't an awful lot.

Also, who said I was gossiping? I find that comment extremely rude - you want a run down of all the privileges prisoners were allowed at a MAXIMUM security prison I worked I can give you the run down ;)

14. animallover111

Good post.....exactly why our justice system is so wrong.........

15. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

This is what prison should be like for every serious offender! (murderers, child abusers and serial rapists)

People who con money, get into fights, rob etc should stop in the less strict prisons as there crimes are less severe unless they keep comiting crimes over and over again, then they should also be put in those prisons too.

I have never been in a prison, and only know one person who has ever been in there, and he said it was hard, but not as bad as some people make out. I try to think that people that go to prison are punished and hate every minute of it, but I know it's not true, or so many people wouldn't re offend when they leave!

suzy93074 likes this.
  16. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I dont think its fair to say we are throwing gossip around;) Nicci has worked in a prison! and knows probably better than ALL of us what goes on! ;) but you are entitled to your opinion some of which i do agree :)

17. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Where I worked prisoners entered into prison on a level 2 thats shower time, recreation and a televison for £1 a week. From this there were two ways to go, down to level 1, which was no tv and no time out of your cell or up to level 4 which meant the ability to purchase goods from a calalogue ie, a kettle, trainers, slippers, playstations etc...and being on level 4 meant you were able to spend more money on phonecalls and more time out your cell/more visting orders to enable visits.

Good behaviour = more Privilidges

Being naughty = none :D

18. animallover111

Can i ask Nicci as you have experience and not just "gossip"....:rolleyes: do you think people in prisons have it easy or do you think prison sentences should be tougher....?

19. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yep see thats where we are going wrong! they shouldnt have any privlidges! anyone can be good if they know they are gonna get a reward - doesnt mean they have turned over a new leaf!! they just adapt themselves to the situation when u go to prison it should mean no luxuries, no tv etc so you think this place is ****! I dont EVER want to come back!! some of em probably get more than in their normal lives! so no wonder some dont even want to leave!

20. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I'll be fair when I say the prison I worked at was a new building (maximum security) but a new building :)

So I'll be honest and say it was pretty luxurious probably compared to some but I would think other prisons work the same way as to regards privilidges and the way they are earnt and taken away.

Do I think prison life is easy, I'd go as far as saying yes it probably is all these people have is their liberty taken away I can't see where the punishment is in that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice