Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Marcia, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I am not suggesting for a second that such an offender should be allowed to go on living a "normal" life. My argument was against having their crimes tattooed on the offenders forehead.

I too agree that SOMETHING should be done...but there are far too many things to consider...people can't just go around saying "oh tattoo paedo on their head" or "hang them".

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Ok, maybe the offender doesn't deserve any rights...but his family deserve as much privacy and understanding as the victims family. The only person to blame is the offender.

If your father is on the list, you should be able to see my point. I too have a family member on the list and have seen first hand what happens to their families.

3. animallover111

Sorry but as a mum i can say they should be hung......and many people have agreed........my children deserve to be protected and so tattooing across the forehead will allow us to keep these sick,vile "humans" away from our children instead of releasing them back into the community and putting children in danger......

I can honestly say if any member of my family committed sexual crimes i would want the world protecting against him/her......i would be more than happy to tattoo them myself.......

I also think people views change when you actually become a parent.....i can honestly say if anyone touched any child i know i would end up locked away for the rest of my life....:mad::mad::mad:

charlie9009 likes this.
  4. animallover111

Good post....totally agree......

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Well my father is on the list because he raped my step sister (we have different fathers) so it's different but we have never had anything but sympathy.

On the other hand, he's had nothing but handouts from the Government too and lives a completely normal life with a new wife!

animallover111 likes this.
  6. animallover111

Bloody hell Sequeena you really have not had an easy time........:(

7. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

I completley agree with this! If I ever found out any member of my family did anything like this, I would still want to see them punished and locked up forever, but I don't think it would happen, as the rest of my family would get there first and they HATE people like this!

And if I ever found out anyone had ever done anything to Reece, I would be going to prison for life. I am not violent, but no one will ever hurt my little boy!

animallover111 likes this.
  8. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Brilliant post! some people have nit picked and said yeah but what if its a 15year old boy etc etc for the most part we are all talking about hardcore repeat offenders! these people go in prison do a few years come out and off they go again!! Its absolutley disgusting that they are let out to committ more abuse! they are allowed to live near children!!! where is that right???? where is the care about our society???

#88 suzy93074, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  9. Oblada

Oblada Guest

As mentioned - each case needs to be dealt with individually - there is no good general solution that will not be very unfair to many and only lead to more problems.

I also think there should be more awareness of the reality of the justice system and life in prison - if you believe there is a slack attitude I would suggest going to court (its public in most instances) and watch first hand what is happening - or reading court judgements (they can be lengthy ;)), look at the facts and see whether indeed the judges were lenient - and NOT rely on the media or the neighbours or general gossip. Same goes for the prison - go there and see how it is (it can be arranged I believe in some circumstances) and make up your own mind instead of listening to popular assumptions.
    Have a look at all the recent legislation dealing with sexual and violent offences.
    Also look at the broad meaning of sexual offenders - leading to people being registered for acts that to me seem quite "minor" (less serious than a burglary or bodily harm - such as a man touching a woman inappropriately - nothing more - under the mistaken impression that the woman was consenting to it..)

xx

10. animallover111

Totally agree with your post though i can honestly say if anyone touched either of my children or my nephew in anyway they should not i would hang the person by his/her bits.........:mad:

11. charlie9009

I see what you are saying, and I agree that each case needs to be thought of indavidually, however, I think most of the people on here are talking about people that abuse young children. There is never any excuse for this, and people that do it repeatedly need to be locked up!

And no, prison isn't a life of luxery (sp?) but they have far too many perks. Prison should be a cell, with a bed and toilet for most of the day, without all the perks for good behavour etc that they get, for serious offenders at least (murderers, child abusers and serial rapists).

12. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I am not disputing that the courts dont give lengthy sentences and dont deal with it as a "serious" issue - I have been in a court before, however there is clearly something not working as they are not "cured" in prison are they??? they are not rehabilitated are they??? otherwise so many would not come out and re committ crimes - and I mean that on ALL crimes - I know a number of people who have been in prison and say its a piece of p*ss! some actually learn even more underhand ways whilst in prison! so the prisons are not all great! I know there are grey areas regarding rape of women some shout rape when its not true, but also there are many that do get raped who do not report it because of how they get treated within the system and I know that to be true as I had a friend who had to go through it and was made to feel guilty the whole way through!!! so its swings and roundaouts really. Iam just old fashioned that I believe in justice for the victim! there seems to be an awful lot of time spent on getting peodos and rapists new identities and new homes and new lifes when they come out of prison - to me that is PROTECTING THEM but we dont seem to afford the same help for the victims or the victimes families whose lifes have been ruined...

#92 suzy93074, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  13. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I've previously worked in a prison environment (I also dare I say it have close family members that have been to prison) family involved were not that bothered in the slightest that they have been to prison and ever so occassionally they keep returning, I've seen with my own eyes how easy it is for people in prison should they decide to keep their heads down inside and cause no problems for themselves, they get alsorts of priviledges of course they have to be earnt but basically your in a place where grown up men are treated like children! It is far from the horrible place some people would have you believe it is.
    You know everyone I have spoken to within my family, I have asked what is the hardest part about being in prison? They've all near enough came up with basically the same answer, and that is one where they are seperated from close friends and family, in their short answer all have fully admitted they didn't find prison life hard and would serve time again for the right offence.

There is no justice in that for victims of crime.

14. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I see your points - of course if we look at the scum of the scum we can all agree they need to be "banished" from society - but pointing out that the "scum of the scum" are actually quite rare...

And also I would like to point out that recidivism rates for sexual offending, esp peadophilia, is actually MUCH lower than for general crimes (not saying there is any excuse to reoffending)
    Yes in prison they can be treated - there are various treatment in place as part of their "stay" - a lot of research is being done on ways to rehabilitate those people.
    I dont think tattooing them will be very effective.
    There is a lot of scholarly research as well on the fact that intense registration/notification (such as the type in place in America or the type people have mentioned here) will only make things worse by driving sexual offenders underground (- more dangerous, not at all controlled, not at all "treated") - we also have to realise the limits of the powers of the State.

15. charlie9009

I agree with this too! I have been raped, by an ex of mine. I never went to the police as it seemed pointless. It would be my word against his. As we were seeing eachother they wouldn't think much of bodily fluids hairs etc. I know that some people would think I was making it up, so it is something that very few people know about, only people I trust 100%. My parents don't know, as I know for a fact they would go after my ex, and beat him up, or worse, and they would be the one's that would get into trouble.

I see no sense in the way the legal system works sometimes "lets stick a load of criminals in a building together, then give them a few years and let them out. We won't asess them or anything, surley they will be better by the time release comes about" ?????? :mad:

16. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Nicci - I suppose the people you talked to are either very "hard" or just a bit arrogant and do not want to seem "weak" when referring to prison life.

I have also seen first-hand what prison does to people and it is not pretty.
    The condition in prison today in Britain is quite often appalling.
    We can disagree on this but I would invite everyone to have some first hand idea of it before judging the system.

17. Nicci

Nicci Guest

All family members I've spoken to are niether "hard" or "arrogant" and also as a previous prison officer I've seen with my own eyes, how easy prison life can be for those who choose to keep their heads down and cause no problems for themselves.

18. Oblada

Oblada Guest

we've seen different things and have different experience of it - fair enough.

I would still invite everyone to make up their mind with some first-hand experience else the discussion can easily become quite pointless.

19. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Im so sorry Charlie! must have been awful! thats what I mean though its ok for people to say well not all rape is truely what happened but there are a lot of cases where they get away with it!!

20. animallover111

Sorry but i have to disagree with part of this statement.........in my opinion the scum of the scum are def not rare.......what i regard as scum someone else might not agree........ANYONE who commits ANY kind of sexual crimes to me are the scum of the earth there is no limit.......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice