Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are your Maine Coon/Longhair breeds called?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by NexivRed, Oct 24, 2012.

1. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

So the name search has commenced (one of the best parts in my opinion :D) and I want to get a few possibilities.

I was just wondering what you have named your Maine Coon or other longhaired breed or large cats and how you came across the name. I know of little Oakley and I think that name is GREAT! And also I'm sure I came across a Leonidas which I have to say is an epic name for a Maine Coon :cool:

I think my favourite name for a girl so far is Sequoia as it has some good history for me. I'm a bit of a geek/nerd and used to play World of Warcraft (where I met my husband actually), and my character was called Sequoya (after the guy who named the tree). I reckon also cos they're so big and magnificent, and because they're from North America like the Maine Coon, it might be a good idea.
    For a boy I'm toying with the idea of Jötunheimr. But I can just see the vet waiting room scenario now.

"Yes could er.... Joe-tun-HEM-are please come through now...??"

Don't know if I'm cruel enough to put them through that lol. Shortened to Jötunn or Jötnar. Too much?

Oh, and I think I have decided on my preferred colours so will be looking out for litters that have classic tabbies with white, silver/blue with white, tortie with white... anything with white I think. I really love those white bibs!

2. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

My MC kitten is called Humphrey, or Humf, or Humphrey Wumphrey:D

3. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

My Maine Coon is called Freya & the Birmans are called Dante & Rogue.

You will want a name that you don't feel annoyed at when the vet calls it out whilst you're waiting as they mispronounce it. We have that ALL THE TIME with our dog (Aoife) & have been told off for not being able to spell Alfie by a few people.

4. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

My wegies mainly have Norwegian names as in kalle kyrre and karlo. Kaisa's name is from Phillip Pullman's dark materials and is Scandinavian. keshet is Hebrew for rainbow and her posh name was jotunkatt rainbow goddess. Her brothers name was lion king. He is called kgosi which is south African for king.

5. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I have a Heimdall, and I had a Mimir. You get used to conversations about Scandanavian gods!

6. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Rosso cos he's a red :devil::devil::devil: we already had a Tango and a Rusty on the forum!!!

7. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

Every vet I have been to has had trouble pronouncing Osiris!

8. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Our longhaired moggy is called Jenson after Jenson Button the F1 racing driving and is better looking in my opinion ;)

And our Ragdoll is called JJ and orginally caled Freddy.

9. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy PetForums Senior

From the top in anti-clockwise order: Bertie, Leo and Dicky - or to give them their full names Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci and Richard Feynman.

:p

Attached Files:

colliemerles likes this.
  10. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Oooh haven't seen pics of the boys for ages!!!!!! handsome devils....

11. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

Ooohh, what a lovely collection of red-heads you have :D

I love the mix of names coming up. It reminds me of the poem by T.S. Eliot, "The naming of cats" :D

12. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

sasha.. no idea where that come from
    kenzo.. after a tv character
    skye.. no idea
    cassy.. no idea
    cruz.. no idea
    daizy.. no idea

13. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

my vets given up calling my cats names, he just comes and gets me. xx:)

14. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

My new baby Persians will be Orson (derived from French meaning little bear) and Ursula (derived from Latin meaning little she-bear).

I love Fenrir as a name ( but we had a rat called Fenrir). I also love Jesus (hey-sus) but mr tramp didn't want the vet calling for Jesus.

15. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

My maine x is called Fluff (he's a boy) blame the children for that one and my little birman girl is Mouse. It's part of her pedigree name.

16. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

My maine coon is called Henry, because at times he can look very regal:) but most of the time he is Horrid :D

The Ragdolls are call Milly and Tilly, they are sisters, the children named them. :)

17. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Louie the lump named by OH after Motorhead track Louie Louie :rolleyes: & Tango the terrible because ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cant mem now :blink: but he's :crazy::incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :sosp: :rolleyes: & Louie is marginally better :D

18. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

Tiberius - from James T kirk
    Ezri - a character on star trek ds9

People always give me a funny look:sosp: when I tell them the names, the look doesnt change when I explain the star trek connection:)

19. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

My Maine Coon is called Paris after a place in Maine USA, I think Paris Hilton had something to do with Maine too.

Our NFC is called Isak after the Scandinavian Isak Dinesen who wrote Out of Africa, the writer is actually a female called Karen Blixen.

Our White odd eyed Persian is called Bianca...meaning white

20. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

My 2 very longhaired duo :D

Molly, was going to be Holly as we got her christmas eve, but she suited Molly better!

Manny, after Manny Pacquiao the boxer ..... OH's choice :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice