UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I read 'The boy who was raised as a dog' last week, but that was kinda-work related. And just finished The Silent Patient which was very average and I found the 'big twist' unconvincing. I feel like I've read too many average books recently, I need a really good one (crime/thriller).

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am reading “Where Memories Go” by Sally Magnusson, a very moving book about her mum’s story with dementia and a wider look at some of the research into it too. Very niche I know and at times a sad read but I work in dementia care and love to learn as much as I can - and it’s beautifully written.

Just about to start “The Dark Circle” by Linda Grant for my book club, has anyone read it?

·
Bugsy & Bee, and old Mr. Charlie
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
So I've just finished 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's modern day combined with some fantasy (ghosties etc). It's witty, has excellent British humour, geeky and its very clearly written by someone who knows London very well. A London constable is drafted into a sort of paranormal investigation unit by way of a very brief synopsis. Highly recommend!

I'm 2 books into my yearly reading challenge (which runs April-April) so lagging a bit! I have Early Riser by Jasper Fforde next on my list.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
So I've just finished 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's modern day combined with some fantasy (ghosties etc). It's witty, has excellent British humour, geeky and its very clearly written by someone who knows London very well. A London constable is drafted into a sort of paranormal investigation unit by way of a very brief synopsis. Highly recommend!

I'm 2 books into my yearly reading challenge (which runs April-April) so lagging a bit! I have Early Riser by Jasper Fforde next on my list.
I read the first chapter of that book but I didn't like it :( which was a shame because the idea of the story is great.

I'm reading Bullet Train by Kotaro Isaka which is about a group of assassins stuck on a train together.

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
I'm not reading anything at the moment, I'm listening to free books on YouTube when I go to bed.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Well I’ve just read another Jojo Moyes book in two days. This was Silver Bay - really loved it. Essentially a romance but with many twists. So I’ve read two of hers now and really enjoyed both. I’ve another on the shelf too. I’ll probably keep them as I’ve enjoyed them so much. If you drop on any at a charity shop they are well worth a read IMO (I actually got a couple in our library on the “for sale for 20p” shelf).

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I spotted The tattooist of Auchwitz in the charity shop earlier so I will start that in the next couple of days.
Anyone read it ?
I went to Auchwitz afew years ago and although it was very heartbreaking I find it fascinating.

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
@Mrs Funkin how did you like the Susan Cooper series?
I have 3 books going ATM (yay summer break).
For fluff and entertainment I'm re-reading a fun little young adult series "The Alchemyst" by Michael Scott, not to be confused with Paolo Coelho's "Alchemist" which is phenomenal.

I'm listening to "Mythos" by Stephen Fry, read by Stephen Fry which makes is all the more magical. Love the Greek myths anyway and he tells them so incredibly well. Just a lovely listen, makes house chores and driving fly by!

I'm also reading "Island Queen" by Vanessa Riley a historical fiction about the life of Dorothy Kirwan Thomas a black woman who bought her freedom and became a wealthy landowner in the West Indies. I'm learning a lot of history I thought I knew but didn't. It's very well written and even more compelling when you realize this was a real person.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
I’m working my way through Kate Quinn’s books at the moment. I started with the Alice Network which is about female spies in WWII, moved on to The Diamond Eye which was about a female Russian sniper in WWII and just finished the Rose Code about Bletchley Park ladies in WWII.

All are based on real characters and events but drawn together in the form of a fictional story. They are easy to read, satisfy the romance and thriller element but you also get a real feel for the people and history she’s writing about.

I am slightly obsessed with spies and Russia and the war atm (you can probably tell) as until Ukraine was invaded I didn’t really know a huge amount about soviet history. So I am devouring books and films along those lines atm.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
Just started reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. Its the follow on from The Handmaids Tale.
Will be interested to know what you think! I started it but didn’t finish. I never read the Handmaid’s Tale but absolutely was hooked by the series. I hope they make another.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The book (The Handmaids Tale) was brilliant. Its Offreds description of the other handmaid as 'a fellow sister, dipped in blood' which stuck with me.

I'm only about 4 chapters in to The Testaments, but its a good read so far.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
@Mrs Funkin how did you like the Susan Cooper series?
I have 3 books going ATM (yay summer break).
For fluff and entertainment I'm re-reading a fun little young adult series "The Alchemyst" by Michael Scott, not to be confused with Paolo Coelho's "Alchemist" which is phenomenal.

I'm listening to "Mythos" by Stephen Fry, read by Stephen Fry which makes is all the more magical. Love the Greek myths anyway and he tells them so incredibly well. Just a lovely listen, makes house chores and driving fly by!

I'm also reading "Island Queen" by Vanessa Riley a historical fiction about the life of Dorothy Kirwan Thomas a black woman who bought her freedom and became a wealthy landowner in the West Indies. I'm learning a lot of history I thought I knew but didn't. It's very well written and even more compelling when you realize this was a real person.
I've not been allowed to have it yet! Husband said I can have it after the Summer, as I've too many "Summer" things to do...in fairness he bought it, so he chooses when he gifts it to me. It's all the books in one volume.

Is it Autumn yet? ;)

121 - 136 of 136 Posts