UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I don't know if it qualifies as fantasy, but I absolutely adore Neil Gaiman's storytelling.
The Graveyard Book is for young adult readers but I loved it.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane is another fabulous book as is Stardust.
And of course American Gods is phenomenal.
I forgot about Neil Gaiman! I've read American Gods, and I've been meaning to get hold of The Graveyard Book. Thanks a lot for reminding me!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Lullaby Beach by Stella Duffy, it's magnificent. Kitty is such an iconic character
I love Stella Duffy's books, I received this for my birthday and it is next on my list. Theodora was an wonderful read if you've like a rep?

Reactions: MollySmith

·
We are all Ukraine
23,818 Posts
My OH found Edith Wharton „Buccaneers”… her last novel… finished by someone else but the ending as planned by the author.
Absolutely loved it.
I think she was one the best writers America ever had.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
I can't cope with much currently but I'd picked up some books in a charity shop and thought I'd try one. It's called The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. Definitely not your normal "chick lit" - I really enjoyed it, it was surprising and it made my eyes leak.

I also read the new Marian Keyes (hubby got it from library for me), "Again, Rachel" - and really enjoyed that too.

For so long I couldn't concentrate long enough to read anything at all, let alone any non-fluffy books, so to be able to read again is a delight.

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
I can't cope with much currently but I'd picked up some books in a charity shop and thought I'd try one. It's called The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. Definitely not your normal "chick lit" - I really enjoyed it, it was surprising and it made my eyes leak.
Oh is that the one about the packhorse librarian women?
I absolutely LOVED that book! We live in that part of the world, not Tennessee but rural southeastern mountain land and I had no idea that scheme even existed. But the isolation, and the role of fierce women in those times and part of the world - oh I just loved it! Such a great story!

·
Registered
14,957 Posts

I also read the new Marian Keyes (hubby got it from library for me), "Again, Rachel" - and really enjoyed that too.

For so long I couldn't concentrate long enough to read anything at all, let alone any non-fluffy books, so to be able to read again is a delight.
I do think... as a book designer... that both Jojo Moyes and Marian Keynes suffer with chick-lit tag through their design. They're both a lot more than this. I actually use Daphne du Maurier in my lectures to design students as she was branded as romantic literature but she's really more gothic and much more sinister.

And how wonderful that you're reading again. I've had troubles here too ((hugs and dancing with celebrations))

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
Jojo Moyes "Me Before You" was more Chick Lit I guess, I kind of hate that descriptor, but I can see it for that book (not one of my faves either).
"The Giver of Stars" is definitely Historical Fiction and I can imagine it being classed as anything else.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Sorry, wrong choice of words I guess. I agree @MollySmith that both seem to write much more "deeply" and tackle tough subjects. I've always loved Marian's books. I'm so pleased to be able to read again, it's always been a huge part of my life so to lose that was stressful.

@O2.0 yes the packhorse librarians. Absolutely brilliantly written.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Anne of Green Gables and The Colour of Magic.

Tried reading Pratchett years ago and thought it was too stupid at the time. Enjoying it this time; need more silliness in my life.

Funny how some books can only be enjoyed in certain moods

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
I watched the first half of it but it stressed me so much! It just wasn't "right" - too dark for me.

Now if you're talking about the 1980s Anne series with Megan Follows, that's a different matter. How I loved it. A friend of mine looks how I imagine Diana to look in my head...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I watched the first half of it but it stressed me so much! It just wasn't "right" - too dark for me.

Now if you're talking about the 1980s Anne series with Megan Follows, that's a different matter. How I loved it. A friend of mine looks how I imagine Diana to look in my head...
I watched the series first so I already picture the characters as the series portrayed them :oops:
The book is surprisingly funny. I appreciate dry humour

·
Mongrelist
6,163 Posts
All My Mothers by Joanna Glen.
I think I might be a crying mess by the time I finish this. It’ll probably hit pretty hard for anyone who had a dysfunctional upbringing and/or checked out parents but it’s so beautifully written. It’s in kindle deals atm so 99p.

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
James Herriot again. I'm just too tired to go to the library these days. It's okay. Nothing wrong with a little comfort reading is there? I know the books practically by heart but they never lose their charm for me. They just go so fast though.

Reactions: O2.0

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
James Herriot again. I'm just too tired to go to the library these days. It's okay. Nothing wrong with a little comfort reading is there? I know the books practically by heart but they never lose their charm for me. They just go so fast though.
I re-read James Herriot frequently too :)

101 - 120 of 136 Posts