UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been reading 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney. Halfway through and I gave up on it last night, it's beyond boring and I don't care about or recognise any of the characters.

I seem to have limited patience with fiction these days and tend to veer towards non-fiction. 'The Tipping Point' is on my table by Malcolm Gladwell, not sure if I'll like it but 'Outliers' was quite good.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
I've just started to read "American Kompromat by Craig Unger. It's all about how the KGB cultivated Donald Trump as well as other tales of sex, Greed, Power and treachery including the low down on Jeffrey Epstein.

Not the sort of book I normally read but bought it feeling I could really do with a bit of scandal in my life ...... even if it's second hand:eek::oops:

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
The Cat Who Came In From the Cold. I just feel like it's time to start my re-reading of Deric Longden's books again. I've read them so many times, but even so I just can't wait, each day at work, to come home and pick up where I left off!

Reactions: tyg'smum

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I tried to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (i know im late to the party). I HATED it - so boring, lots of characters introduced in short periods of time... no idea what the fuss is about.

At the moment I'm reading Britt Marie Was Here.

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
I tried to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (i know im late to the party). I HATED it - so boring, lots of characters introduced in short periods of time... no idea what the fuss is about.

At the moment I'm reading Britt Marie Was Here.
I felt the same about that book, just couldn't get in to it and couldn't be bothered to even try. Not watched the film either

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I felt the same about that book, just couldn't get in to it and couldn't be bothered to even try. Not watched the film either
I think the film is better (long though). I watched most of the one with Daniel Craig in it. I'm happy to hear it's not just me that struggled with the book !

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
I just finished The Color Purple - Alice Walker. Haven't read it in years. I was pawing through my books (still mostly in boxes from moving) looking for something good to read and it dropped at my feet. It was always my late sister's favorite, and I've been missing her something fierce lately, so it seemed like a good time to revisit Celie and Shug and Nettie.

Now I'm onto Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk, another reminder of my beloved sister, because she gave it to me in 1981 and her loving inscription in the front is a great comfort.

I wonder what I will find in that box next?

Reactions: MollySmith

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Not read the books but have watched the films (Swedish ones) & really enjoyed them.

Am currently reading 'Radical' by Maajid Nawaz which is a memoir of a former Islamic extremist.

On Audible I have just finished listening to 'Men Who Hate Women' by Laura Bates in which she discusses & exposes misogynist networks & communities. Absolutely terrifying

And have now just started 'The Gift of Fear' by Gavin De Becker which discusses how we need to listen to our gut instincts so we can recognize warning signs & precursors to violence.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Not read the books but have watched the films (Swedish ones) & really enjoyed them.

Am currently reading 'Radical' by Maajid Nawaz which is a memoir of a former Islamic extremist.

On Audible I have just finished listening to 'Men Who Hate Women' by Laura Bates in which she discusses & exposes misogynist networks & communities. Absolutely terrifying

And have now just started 'The Gift of Fear' by Gavin De Becker which discusses how we need to listen to our gut instincts so we can recognize warning signs & precursors to violence.
Quite an eye opener Men who hate Women.

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
I've not picked up a book in months, I'm ashamed to say, just not had the time & have been so tired of an evening I've just taken the easy option of Netflix.

Really was very depressing & very worrying
I did a bit of my own research into the seedy world of incels a few years back & they scare the [email protected] out of me, there's no reasoning with men like that.

I had to cut ties with a long standing male friend last year because he was starting to show signs of being indoctrinated into that world, he was originally a 'volcel', but his increasing mysogyny & bitterness became seriously toxic, I did try & encourage him to seek help but there was no reasoning with him.

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I've not picked up a book in months, I'm ashamed to say, just not had the time & have been so tired of an evening I've just taken the easy option of Netflix.

I did a bit of my own research into the seedy world of incels a few years back & they scare the [email protected] out of me, there's no reasoning with men like that.

I had to cut ties with a long standing male friend last year because he was starting to show signs of being indoctrinated into that world, he was originally a 'volcel', but his increasing mysogyny & bitterness became seriously toxic, I did try & encourage him to seek help but there was no reasoning with him.
That's why I love Audible as I can listen to books when I'm driving, just before bed, gardening, etc when I'm too tired to read.

The incel culture is terrifying & I still do not understand why these attacks by men are not considered a form of terrorism as they fit the criteria.

Scary how you knew someone who displayed these tendencies & cutting ties with a man like that is the only safe things to do IMO.

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts

I've listened to Maajid Nawaz on several podcasts, might have to check out his book.
I read The Gift of Fear many years ago and the lessons in it have stayed with me - great book.

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I've listened to Maajid Nawaz on several podcasts, might have to check out his book.
I read The Gift of Fear many years ago and the lessons in it have stayed with me - great book.
I've only just started it but what did strike me & sort of always has done is why some of us feel so worried about offending the other person that we ignore our instincts. I wonder when that started happening & is is culture dependent? Also the fear of drawing attention to ourselves. I know of many women who have been assaulted with lots of other people around because their attacker knew they 'wouldn't want to make a scene' .... how do these predators know this & why do we feel like this? It's horrible that these people can have such power over us & am hoping the book gives an insight in to why

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
Of Human Bondage - W. Somerset Maugham. I first read this book my freshman year in college. I was at a party and over in the corner was a boy reading this book. I went over to ask him what he was reading and we started talking about books. He said he'd promised his roommate to go to this party but he couldn't put the book down. When he finished it he gave it to me and I kept it all these years, it's a 1915 Modern Library Edition. I've always cherished it and this is only the third time I've read it, and last read in 1995, so almost new to me again. :).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I read Antigone Rising by Helen Morales in one day. Brilliant book which broke my reading slump.

Started Seventeen by Hideo Yokoyama and read as many pages before giving up. How it can be described as a thriller is beyond me.

Read Folk by Zoe Gilbert which is weird, and not what I was expecting at all.

Can anyone recommend any good fantasy books? It's a genre I haven't read much of, and everything appears to be in series' and I have no idea where to start.

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
Can anyone recommend any good fantasy books?
I don't know if it qualifies as fantasy, but I absolutely adore Neil Gaiman's storytelling.
The Graveyard Book is for young adult readers but I loved it.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane is another fabulous book as is Stardust.
And of course American Gods is phenomenal.

Reactions: Oof
81 - 100 of 136 Posts